How can you tell which rom save?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by mhfan305, Apr 24, 2014.

1. mhfan305
    OP

mhfan305 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 20, 2009
    United States
    How do you tell which save on the SD card goes to what rom?

2. MGS1980

MGS1980 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 27, 2014
    United States
    Well, the card2 ROMs (Animal Crossing, Pokemon X, Pokemon Y, and Tomodachi Collection/Life) all save their files on the microSD card as part of the ROM itself.

As for the rest, the way that I did it was just make note of which folder is new when I play a new game. You may be able to Google the numbers on the SD card folder and see if you get any hits (just a suggestion as I've never tried it, so it may not work.) The other option would be to delete a folder off of the SD card (after backing it up) and see which game loses it's save data.

3. zhdarkstar

zhdarkstar GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 30, 2008
    United States
    If you're talking about using a GW, then all of the Card1 rom saves would be on the root of the SD card. They'll be numbered based on the game's titleid.

Go to 3ds.essh.co and search for the game whose save you're trying to identify and look at the listed titleid. Cross-reference that with the list of saves on your SD card and you'll find the save you're looking for.

4. mhfan305
    OP

mhfan305 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 20, 2009
    United States
    Thank you, that works.

My saves on the SD card arent in folders, just by themselves. Should this matter? Also, for the games like Pokemon x& y, are you saying that their game saves are on the actual rom file? Or a game save where the rom file is?

5. MGS1980

Mar 27, 2014
    United States
    For the Pokemon saves, they are actually written to the ROM itself. It literally becomes part of the game.

6. mhfan305
    OP

mhfan305 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 20, 2009
    United States
    Ah ok. Thank you.

7. luney

luney GBAtemp Fan

Aug 30, 2006
    United States
    Yes. With Pokemon X and Y, the save is actually part of the rom. There is a tool called CardTwo Save Tool that can extract and restore the saves to the ROM.

Ninja'd!

8. zhdarkstar

zhdarkstar GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 30, 2008
    United States
    The folders thing may be the way that other flashcarts store their saves. I can't say for sure, as I only own a Gateway. As for Pokemon, yes, the game save is a part of the rom file itself. There is a tool available to extract/inject save files into card2 roms.

EDIT: :ph34r:'d again today

9. MGS1980

Mar 27, 2014
    United States
    If you want a way to extract them (as well as downloadable community saves with the removed Powersaves content among other things,) look here:

http://gbatemp.net/threads/way-to-distribute-the-removed-hidden-pokemon-from-power-saves.364150/

Edit: The extractors are Pokemon specific. You can use them to inject saves for Animal Crossing, but you have to change the location that it writes to (there is some info in the thread somewhere that talks about it.)

Also, I did say folders. They may not be in folders. I have a Gateway too, but it has been months since I really looked at anything other than the root with my launcher.dat file and really didn't play with the save files since I first got the cart even longer ago. I would trust the other guys when it comes to the Card1 games.

10. Ryft

Ryft GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 21, 2013
    United States
    Illinois
    I think the confusion here is that legit games (not roms) store them in weird places in the 3DS folder. Never could figure out exactly where but I never really looked that hard. Gateway does in fact just store save from roms in the root of the main 3DS SD card.