Hottest Topics

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
The layout of the homepage would get messed up (well, at least with the new layout).

Damn typos
ohnoes.png

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I think that's quite bad for the server and probably hard to code

I mean, the latest topics thing is easy: every time someone posts it can be added in the latest discussions. But if you're going to base on Viewers, it'd have to search each topic to see how many viewers there are and then sort them (which probably takes a while)

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
tj_cool said:
I mean, the latest topics thing is easy: every time someone posts it can be added in the latest discussions. But if you're going to base on Viewers, it'd have to search each topic to see how many viewers there are and then sort them (which probably takes a while)
True. It would have to look through thousand and thousands of topics, and it would have to do that everytime someone refreshes the homepage, or that box, so it would put an incredible amount of pressure on the server.

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
And even with the shiny new server that the site got a few months back it still wouldn't be great.
wink.gif

Just think what it might've been like with the old system...
mellow.gif

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just so you all know, I know nothing of the way GBATemp is coded, etc. But just a thought: Try just keeping track of the posts being posted in a certain time frame. Most likely a time frame of it being in the mythical Hottest topics section. Which could be one post to put it there, but the more posts it gets the longer it stays there. Go with out posts, it gets put lower and lower on the list until *poof*.

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Sterl500 said:
Just so you all know, I know nothing of the way GBATemp is coded, etc. But just a thought: Try just keeping track of the posts being posted in a certain time frame. Most likely a time frame of it being in the mythical Hottest topics section. Which could be one post to put it there, but the more posts it gets the longer it stays there. Go with out posts, it gets put lower and lower on the list until *poof*.
That basically comes down to the same thing as what tk_saturn suggested, so it won't work.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Overlord Nadrian said:
Sterl500 said:
That basically comes down to the same thing as what tk_saturn suggested, so it won't work.
Does it have to keep track of who posted it? Couldn't it be in some sort of counter (or counter equivalent), which is updated after something gets posted? Then gets checked at time intervals to see if the topic needs to be bumped on the list?

tk_saturn

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I don't see the point of basing it when something is posted, you already have the latest discussions.

Sometimes you can have tons of people reading a thread, but very few people posting. That's especially the case when people link to articles on here from other sites.

When you click on the "View New Posts", it does indicate "Hot Topics" but what makes those topics hot? I've seen topics with 1 or 2 readers which aren't hot, and those with tons of readers which aren't. It's presumably determining that over a timespan too, perhaps the Timespan needs shortening? and then you could just list the hot topics.

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I'm guessing those topics are considered hot because they either quickly after posting got a bunch of readers, or got a bunch of posts in no time. Correct me if I'm wrong.

EDIT: Oh wait, I see what you mean, a topic is considered hot the moment it gets 19 replies.

You didn't see me do anything just now
ph34r.gif

tk_saturn

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I still don't see why it could be so difficult.

When someone views a post, you already have the number of people viewing a post at the bottom of the page. When someone views a post, add the number of people viewing it to a linked list etc along with the post type (blog, EOF etc) and time. Then when someone views the portal, just walk the list and display the top 10 posts underneath the ShopTemp banner. Every 10 minutes get the server to walk the list, if the time for each post in the list hasn't been updated in the last 10 minutes, delete that post from the list. Compared to the effort it takes the server to perform a search, parse unparse BBCode etc, I can't see it being much to the server.

Or they could use the Google Analytics, as they send you there every time you read a page anyway.

The Pi

Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
Sorry for the bump but I came across this thread and had a idea.

It would be less work on the server if rather than looking at every thread, it looked at every online user and then sorted out which users where looking at threads and then looked for the top 10 threads being read.

metamaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Another way is if the site used the same system as google, a hit system. Would it be possible to implement? (maybe even by using google itself)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    When I worked for Dell we had access to data about military contracts and addresses for high ranking people.
    I personally handled a call from the second highest person at Raytheon. That call bothered me a lot... The guy was nice and smart what bothered me was the way management basically just blew him off instead of going the extra mile to help him.
    In the end that call ended up costing Dell millions in lost contracts with Raytheon, and really the issue could have been solved for like 450 bucks lol
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    sometimes I wonder why anyone would ever buy mega man x legacy collection 2
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    I always thought that capcom shuffled the games in these collection, but apparently they are all in chronological order, which makes legacy collection 2 worthless
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, i want to start singing pirate metal songs and sea shanties if i play sea of thieves
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    find a pirate metal playlist
    +2
    and sing along
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    nevermind i just learned swearing is against the rules in sea of thieves

i was about to start singing the song i last put in "what song are you currently listening to" yesterday
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    but yeah ig so
    swearing not allowed in a pirate game? what has the world come to
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    (here's the song for context)
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Just add -izle to the end of every curse word, you will be fine.
    +2
    i like alestorm
    +1
    @BigOnYa too many syllables
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    same lmao
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    hi, welcome to the Temp!
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Welcome to the Underground!
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    the booty boogie from (once again) the donkey kong country cartoon could also be a good song to sing while playing sea of thieves
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Please insert 25 cents for an additional 30 minutes of talk time.
    +2
    It's the Switcheroo
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: It's the Switcheroo