Hotel Dusk Successor Chase: Cold Case Investigations: Distant Memories Coming to the West

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Foxi4, Jul 5, 2016.

1. Foxi4
    OP

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto

On May 11th Japanese audiences got to enjoy a brand new game by former Cing employees, the developers behind DS's sleeper hits Hotel Dusk and Last Window. Now, courtesy of Aksys Games, players in the west will once again be able to try their hand at being a... rather unusual detective. Riddles galore awaits all 3DS fans with Chase: Cold Case Investigations launching on the eShop this fall. I don't know about you, but I can't wait to put my gumshoe costume already!

:arrow:Source

2. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ I drool on my knife

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    I am replaying Hotel Dusk right now! I need this game in my life!

ihaveamac, HaloEffect17 and Foxi4 like this.
  3. Foxi4
    OP

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Cing games were easily some of the best titles on the DS, among the few games that fully utilized each and every hardware component of the system, from the obvious buttons to the microphone, or even the lid. I'm eager to see what this game has in store - the staff involved has yet to disappoint me, so hopes are high. It's a bit of a shame that the game will have no physical release as I'd probably buy it twice - one copy to play and one to hold in a warm embrace all night long.

4. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ I drool on my knife

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    I actually ended up buying them twice. I sold my first copies because I needed money, then bought them again.
    I've played pretty much every game that Cing put their name on, party because they're so few of them, but like you said, they are amazing. Trace Memories (Another Code for the rest of the world,) was actually my first DS game and it was a great introduction to the system for me. I never had a game really make me think about what I was doing and make me think about the story so much. Not to mention that art style just drew me in. I am glad I overlooked so many other games for that one because I ended up an amazing gem.

emuashui likes this.
  5. Justinde75

Justinde75 VGM Addict

Feb 14, 2016
    Germany
    Iwatodai Dorm
    YES

6. WiiUBricker

WiiUBricker Insert Custom Title

Sep 19, 2009
    Argentina
    Espresso
    I was gonna post this yesterday, but I was too busy fapping to it. J/k all hail Aksys Games :bow:

ihaveamac and Justinde75 like this.
  7. Haider Raza

Haider Raza Alhumdulillah

GBAtemp Patron
    Haider Raza is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 30, 2016
    Pakistan
    looks pretty boring. :mellow:

leonmagnus99 likes this.
  8. PedroKeitawa

PedroKeitawa GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 15, 2015
    Italy
    The music in the trailer is amazing and fo coruse the protagonist is handsome (my opinion...sorry to do this). I just recover to day Hotel Dusk, becouse my original copy have a accidentaly jump in wather one month ago ç_ç, and is amazing game. Probably the best game i play on the DS. I can't wait to have this and i hope this game get a European relase. Even if i can have the japanese version my rate on this leanguage is 0.5/10 (worst then my english) so unfortunaly i have to wait and hope for at least and english relase (even if i prefer a full translate title in italian).

emuashui likes this.
  9. Foxi4
    OP

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    The originals had plenty of depth to them, although they were dialogue-heavy. The initial impressions regarding this one are mixed or negative-leaning, but I feel that it might be nostalgia glasses at play - it's been too long since we've had a Cing game to play.

10. Issac

Issac I

Global Moderator
    GBAtemp Patron
    Issac is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 10, 2004
    Sweden
    Sweden
    Oh that's wonderful! I always mean to go back playing the DS games, and now I got another good reason to do that. I got a bit into Hotel Dusk, but then my SD card crashed and I lost my save, since then I've restarted a few times but got busy doing other stuff.

Alright, let's go! :D

11. natkoden

natkoden Not a New Member

Jul 25, 2006
    Argentina
    great news

12. RemixDeluxe

RemixDeluxe GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 23, 2010
    United States
    I wouldn't say the DS games were the best ever but if I had to say which games were by far the most underappreciated and deserving of praise then definitely these games. I'm even surprised they are coming to the US after the poor sales and even some missing titles that never got localized to the US. Wonder if they could port or remaster the games on PC like they are doing with the Zero Escape games.

13. Zense

Zense GBAtemp Regular

Apr 20, 2008
    Italy
    So the 3DS is too big to hold sideways like the old DS? And I read a review of the jap version back in may and I seem to remember that there were gonna be more episodes/cases. I'll see if I can find it...

And I remembered right! Here it is:
    https://boukennonikki.wordpress.com/2016/05/13/chase-unsolved-cases-investigation-division/

It's a review, but it doesn't spoil anything. The game is pretty short though. I look forward to seeing cing's art style on the 3DS hardware.

Last edited by Zense, Jul 5, 2016
  14. Prans

Prans Geek, gamer, human

pip Reporter
    Apr 22, 2012
    There itself.
    Damn Hotel Dusk & Last Window! Loved Kyle Hyde's character and the jazz background. Looking forward to experience something similar!

emuashui likes this.
  15. Essometer

Essometer GBAtemp Regular

Oct 22, 2010
    Germany
    Enger
    Wait, so the game is only one hour long? That's kind of a bummer. I was hoping the length would match Hotel Dusks length.

16. HtheB

HtheB GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 15, 2006
    Netherlands
    Bize Her Yer Trabzon
    I'm wondering if they ever bring out the sequel to "Again"...
    Because a second installment was planned, until the company went bankrupt :(

Gingerbread Crumb likes this.
  17. HaloEffect17

HaloEffect17 Splatoon Fan

Jul 1, 2015
    Canada
    I played Hotel Dusk and Last Window and thoroughly enjoyed both - really looking forward to this.

18. Zense

Zense GBAtemp Regular

Apr 20, 2008
    Italy
    It would seem so, but I can see the reasoning behind it too. The first is that Last Window was a commercial failure (and that CiNG went bankrupt), so making a shorter game costs less and leaves less of a risk. Their games got good scores, but that didn't sell them. The second, seeing that the story doesn't end with this first game (at least I imagine), what they're doing is that they're gonna try to see how much the first sells before they decide to bring over the rest. Considering my last point, buying the game will make it more possible for us to get more. So.. Buy it! I don't really mind it being shorter episodes.

Last edited by Zense, Jul 6, 2016
    HaloEffect17 likes this.
  19. HaloEffect17

HaloEffect17 Splatoon Fan

Jul 1, 2015
    Canada
    I'm just glad this is a thing, really.

20. Pluupy

Pluupy Woof!

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    I would rather they wrap up the story of Kyle Hyde. Never really found out what happened to his partner.

Zense, ihaveamac and HaloEffect17 like this.