Hori to Release Three USB GameCube Controllers for the Switch

upload_2018-7-24_18-36-14.png

The legendary maker of third party accessories again looks to please consumers in announcing three new GameCube-themed USB controllers for the Nintendo Switch. Accounting for the additional required buttons for the console, an extra shoulder button has been added for ZL, and the space where Start would otherwise sit has been fitted with the additional Minus, Home, and Screenshot buttons. On top of this, the controller boasts a three-stage rapid fire feature functional with each button, including the D-Pad.

upload_2018-7-24_18-43-8.png

Available in October in the above designs, would you like to see these controllers come west? Would you buy them for the upcoming release of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, or would you rather use the official GameCube adapter? Let us know your thoughts.

:arrow: Source

Scarlet

Onion Soup
OP
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm really liking the Zelda one. If they did come to the west I'd get all 3 if they were priced right.
For what it's worth, they're priced at around 3000 Yen, which works out at about £20 or $27. Personally, the Mario one stands out to me. The translucent front really is lush.

D

Deleted User

I'd probably get them just so I could use them for emulation without having to worry about GameCube adapter drivers and whatnot. Besides, the translucent plastic on the Mario controller looks pretty cool.

Scarlet

Onion Soup
OP
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
How's the feel? Is it authentic enough to pass off as a regular Gamecube controller? I'm always iffy on buying 3rd party controllers.
It's interesting to me how the idea of third party controllers have developed over time. Back in the day of the GameCube, I remember having two putrid controllers I'd never want to touch. But now on the Switch, we have companies like 8Bitdo and even Game Devil putting forward solid efforts I'm more than happy to be using, and often use over Nintendo's own controllers. Hori have a long history of good and bad, so I'll be interested to see how the buttons feel on these. They definitely nailed the look though, so I'm happy to remain hopeful.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
It's interesting to me how the idea of third party controllers have developed over time. Back in the day of the GameCube, I remember having two putrid controllers I'd never want to touch. But now on the Switch, we have companies like 8Bitdo and even Game Devil putting forward solid efforts I'm more than happy to be using, and often use over Nintendo's own controllers. Hori have a long history of good and bad, so I'll be interested to see how the buttons feel on these. They definitely nailed the look though, so I'm happy to remain hopeful.
yeah the issue on 3rd partys is resistance, most 3rd party controllers cant last half of a official controller before something happen like unresponsive button or unbalanced analogs and such.

Windaga

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's cool that they're doing these, but I wish they would have picked a different subject. There are already Zelda and Mario controllers. (Albeit of different styles.)

A pink Kirby one or a red, white and black Pokemon one would be really cool.

Scarlet

Onion Soup
OP
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It's cool that they're doing these, but I wish they would have picked a different subject. There are already Zelda and Mario controllers. (Albeit of different styles.)

A pink Kirby one or a red, white and black Pokemon one would be really cool.
Oh my life a translucent pink Kirby controller would be so so rad. I don't dislike the Pikachu controller they have. The yellow on the front looks like a bit of an off colour but the translucent back again looks great. Man I love transparent/translucent consoles and controllers lol

Reactions: Windaga
D

Deleted User

Wait, so you can swap the Z button to be ZL or ZR?

Why didn't they just make the controller have both ZL and ZR buttons then!?

*Sigh* Still, its a usb gamecube controller. I'll be getting this, thought having ZL and ZR would have been nice.

Getting an actual gamecube controller shell and spraypainting it to the color you can, and drilling a few holes into it for the front buttons could make even dead controllers worth something for the shells now though! I'd remake the Symphonia Mint Green one!

Last edited by ,

Scarlet

Onion Soup
OP
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Wait, so you can swap the Z button to be ZL or ZR?

Why didn't they just make the controller have both ZL and ZR buttons then!?

*Sigh* Still, its a usb gamecube controller. I'll be getting this, thought having ZL and ZR would have been nice.
It's a fine line for them to tread. They have some lenience in controller modernisation they've put to full use in occupying the otherwise rather vacant area where the start button sat alone, but adding a second Z button might have taken it too far. Functionally, it would've been great, but the more deviance from the original design, the more they alienate the niche market they're appealing to here, and just come across as less official.

That's my take on it anyway.

Vieela

GBATemp's official thinker™
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Really loved the Mario one. The Pokémon/Pikachu one is weird though. Maybe if they added the brown highlights it would've made it easier on the eyes, but on the way it is it's just weirdly yellowish.

Reactions: Scarlet

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYZD7ykz9aQ