Hooking up computer to HD screen

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by Tonitonichopchop, May 23, 2011.

May 23, 2011
  1. Tonitonichopchop
    OP

Member Tonitonichopchop GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Before I begin, just know I'm a complete N00B when it comes to computers, so explain yourself well if you're gonna bother to explain at all.

I have a standard computer that has Windows 7 on it. It isn't high end or anything, but it can play HD video on it reliably. However, I only have it hooked up using a standard 15 pin VGA cable, so my question is, how can I hook it up to the screen to display in true 1080p HD? The monitor has two HDMI ports so that isn't an issue, but the computer itself seems to have no such thing. I don't know exactly what kind of hardware I've got running inside, but I'll try to answer questions about it to the best of my ability.

2. Fishaman P

Member Fishaman P Speedrunner

United States
    VGA supports 1080p, and most (if not all) TV's that support 1920x1080 have a VGA port. Otherwise, your best bet is a VGA-HDMI adapter.

3. Tonitonichopchop
    OP

Member Tonitonichopchop GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    So wait, you're saying that if I'm using this:

http://www.networktechinc.com/images/vext-thn-xx-mm.jpg

Hooked up from monitor to computer, I'm already getting HD?

4. Issac

Member Issac Mini-mod

Sweden
    Yeah, just like Fishaman P say: VGA supports 1080p [​IMG]
    I have my netbook connected to my HDTV and the picture is crystal clear... if You don't have 1080p resolution, try changing the resolution on your computer and the TV will probably auto detect that it changed [​IMG]

Edit: Yes sir, I'm using one just like that

5. Windaga

Member Windaga GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I'm using the same set up, as well - I'm using a netbook running Windows 7 Starter and I have it hooked up to my 32 inch HDTV using one of those 15 pin VGA adapters that came with my monitor for my old Windows 2000 computer. If you change the settings (right click on your desktop - screen resolution), you'll be able to change the resolution of your computer AND your TV, if it's plugged in. (Although by default, it should auto adjust to the largest resolution possible on your HDTV and run in duplicated screen mode.) Just a note - the resolution will be in pixels (1280x800, 800x600, etc), not in 720 or 1080, so don't get upset if it doesn't show the latter. Just slide the slider all the way to the top for maximum quality.

You have 2 options when connecting the TV to the computer - extended desktop and screen duplication. Screen duplication will show what's on your computer screen on the TV, while extended desktop will let you use the TV (or the computer, depending on your settings) as an extra desktop area. This means you can drag windows into the extra area and maximize them, allowing you to view both a full screen page and a desktop at the same time - simply move your mouse to the right of your screen and it'll jump on to the next display seamlessly.

6. Issac

Member Issac Mini-mod

Sweden
    Doesn't have to be true. For me it doesn't work that way, I can only have Screen duplication (with a LOW definition resolution obviously for it to work with the netbook) or the setting I prefer but don't know what to call: "turn-off-the-netbook-screen-and-go-full-on-with-only-the-tv"-mode [​IMG]

7. Windaga

Member Windaga GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    True, but he does have a "standard computer", not a netbook. I've checked on all of the computers I have, and those options are there.

8. Mazor

Member Mazor Z80 master arch

Sweden
    Yes, what's being hyped as HD for TVs is what you've already had or been able to have for the past 15 years or so on your computer.

9. Jamstruth

Member Jamstruth Secondary Feline Anthropomorph

United Kingdom
    We actually have more than the standard "HD-Ready" resolution of 720p since TV resolution on work of number of lines so....
    1024x768 = 768p
    1280x1024 = 1024p
    and we've had them for YEARS!

10. marcus134

Member marcus134 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    You're forgetting 1600x1200 which was also widely available on crt's (17"+) before the lcd's came to the market

also calling them 768p and 1024p is incorrect, i understand it is for an analogy but the standard naming scheme is XGA and SXGA respectively

11. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    Computers have been HD ready for any number of years, but TVs have only become HD ready fairly recently (with the advent of flat TVs really). Even then, many TVs are unable to display computer resolutions properly, and they often end up blurred and difficult to read smaller text. This is mostly due to the way computer displays are designed - they're usually less than a metre away from you, where as TVs are usually half way across the room.

There are 3 connectors that a computer can use to connect to a HDTV. VGA (or D-SUB), which every TV should have... DVI, which few TVs will have because they've been replaced by... HDMI, which is exactly the same as DVI only widely adopted because the pins don't break so easily. If your computer has a DVI port (and most do), then you can easily find a DVI-HDMI adaptor and just use a normal $3 HDMI cable from Amazon.