Hooking up a router

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Rock Raiyu, Aug 23, 2010.

Aug 23, 2010

Hooking up a router by Rock Raiyu at 2:03 AM (1,125 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

1. Rock Raiyu
    OP

Member Rock Raiyu Clock Up

United States
    I'm trying to hook up a router for my dorm. We have an ethernet port and I'm wondering if it is possible to hook it up without hooking it up to my laptop? So I can have wireless throughout the room.

2. Raiser

Member Raiser I am mad scientist.

Canada
    I'm no expert with wireless, but I believe in order to access your internet (router) without hooking it up directly to any PC or laptop, you need a Wi-Fi card installed in your laptop. It scans for any signals and allows you to connect to it/them.

3. Rock Raiyu
    OP

United States
    Yeah, I know. My laptop has a card. I'm talking up setting up the router to use the internet without connecting to my laptop.

4. iFish

Member iFish Slower than a 90s modem

Canada
    I would think it need an Ethernet and Hooked up to a modem. since that's how mine is... but i'm not sure.

It's just what i think

5. cornaljoe

Member cornaljoe GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    What kind of router is it? The easiest way would be to put the ethernet supplying the dorm's service into the WAN port on the wireless router. If it doesn't already have a wifi setup you will have to hook the router up to your laptop through any of the LAN ports and setup a wireless connection. Accessing the router is the hard part, but the easiest way to do this is to right click on the LAN network connection and select Status then Details. Under Default Gateway you should see an IP for the router. Type that in your browser and it should open up your routers configuration page.

6. reimu

Newcomer reimu Advanced Member

Canada
    I'm no expert on this but I believe to hook up a router without connecting it directly to a modem you have to set up the router as an access point. Google it but I found some kind of instruction: http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html

7. tk_saturn

Member tk_saturn GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    It depends on the router. On a router which doesn't have a WAN port, you can normally use a crossover cable and a bit of tweaking.

8. Elritha

Member Elritha GBAtemp Addict

Canada
    It should be possible. Just depends on the type of router. If it has a WAN port it should make it easier and less configuration needed.

Depending on the type of network in your dorm, you may be able to just set DHCP to auto on the router and let an ip be assigned that way. If that doesn't work you'll have to manually assign one to the router, I suggest you assign one that your laptop would normally get. This is to avoid ip address conflicts with other users on the network.

9. Rock Raiyu
    OP

United States
    Alright guys, I managed to get it working. Thanks a lot guys!