Raiser

I am mad scientist.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I'm no expert with wireless, but I believe in order to access your internet (router) without hooking it up directly to any PC or laptop, you need a Wi-Fi card installed in your laptop. It scans for any signals and allows you to connect to it/them.

Rock Raiyu

Clock Up
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Raiser said:
I'm no expert with wireless, but I believe in order to access your internet (router) without hooking it up directly to any PC or laptop, you need a Wi-Fi card installed in your laptop. It scans for any signals and allows you to connect to it/them.
Yeah, I know. My laptop has a card. I'm talking up setting up the router to use the internet without connecting to my laptop.

iFish

Slower than a 90s modem
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I would think it need an Ethernet and Hooked up to a modem. since that's how mine is... but i'm not sure.

It's just what i think

cornaljoe

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
What kind of router is it? The easiest way would be to put the ethernet supplying the dorm's service into the WAN port on the wireless router. If it doesn't already have a wifi setup you will have to hook the router up to your laptop through any of the LAN ports and setup a wireless connection. Accessing the router is the hard part, but the easiest way to do this is to right click on the LAN network connection and select Status then Details. Under Default Gateway you should see an IP for the router. Type that in your browser and it should open up your routers configuration page.

Elritha

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
It should be possible. Just depends on the type of router. If it has a WAN port it should make it easier and less configuration needed.

Depending on the type of network in your dorm, you may be able to just set DHCP to auto on the router and let an ip be assigned that way. If that doesn't work you'll have to manually assign one to the router, I suggest you assign one that your laptop would normally get. This is to avoid ip address conflicts with other users on the network.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: One of my friends wants to do a pc wall build I'm like but you constantly complain about roaches lol