Hacking Homebrew Without VHBL

ArugulaZ

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
http://hackinformer.com/2016/09/09/release-run-epsp-homebrew-bubbles-without-vhbl-fw360/

It's a great idea and it seems to work pretty well (it did; right now the guy's server seems to be down). However, this program is using an old version of the Neo-Geo emulator and all the larger ROMs I've tried (Matrimelee, KOF 2000, etc.) don't want to work. Is there a way to upgrade the emulator to 2.3? I tried inserting a different version of the emulator into the bubble but it just made the program freeze whenever I tried to run it.

Alternately, does anyone know what ROMsets will work with MVSPSP 2.2? I'm not asking for those ROMs, by the way; I just want to know what specific set it needs so I can find them myself. I suspect that whatever version of the Neo-Geo emulator he used is specifically for the PSP-1000, which seems kind of silly because I'm pretty sure the Vita emulates the later models with extra RAM.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
I suspect that whatever version of the Neo-Geo emulator he used is specifically for the PSP-1000, which seems kind of silly because I'm pretty sure the Vita emulates the later models with extra RAM.
You're wrong, unfortunately after...I think firmware 1.6 the PSP emu only uses 32mb of RAM. Assuming you're trying to replace the game with the 64mb version, that's why you're getting a black screen.

You could try the RetroArch NeoGeo emu instead, for native homebrew on Henkaku. I'm not 100% sure on compatibility vs MVSPSP, but you get more power to work with.

Reactions: SuperDan

SuperDan

Im Aware ... Im Unaware
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
fbalpha_2012.neogeo
9/14/2016 retroarch works perfectly every game worked that i had 60fps
faster than older builds...
i would stick with that...
just hoping for a perfect MAME..Emu
some games work some dont.... work
fbalpha_2012 also works great for cps 1 & 2 Roms 60fps ..llittle laggy on cps3 Street fighter 3rd strike .. but playable

Last edited by SuperDan,

metroid maniac

An idiot with an opinion
Trophies
XP
Country
Without eCFW, you can't access the ePSP's kernel mode in homebrew. You can't load kernel plugins and you can't utilise the full 64MB of RAM.
VHBL only runs in user mode, and until an ePSP kernel exploit is found those homebrews which require extended functionality won't work.

Reactions: SuperDan

ArugulaZ

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Really? Ugh! I thought the Vita would have emulated later, better versions of the PSP. Disappointing to hear that isn't actually the case.

I do have RetroArch on this system too. I just find MVSPSP more user-friendly and easier to configure, plus games generally load more quickly. This kind of limits my options, though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It's mostly the ones that are just pictures and no instructions at all