Status
Not open for further replies.

pokemoner2500

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does anyone think someone will decrypt Smealums exploit and re-release with kernal support? If someone does it'll be Rom Loading for everyone! Thoughts?

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My understanding is that he doesn't want that to happen, but is aware that it likely will eventually happen. He just doesn't want to be the one considered responsible for it when it does hence why he didn't do it himself as I'm sure he would know how to.

Having said that I don't want to pirate actual 3DS games, I mostly just want to put emulators of GB/C/A, NES, SNES, and Genesis systems on my 3DS, and any great homebrew games that my come as well.

Sparks43

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I would think it has already been done

Just not released yet unlike all the stuff we have seen in the last few weeks

piratesephiroth

I wish I could read
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Is it even going to be encrypted? I thought it would be open source.

It's a save game exploit. You run the game and the game loads the modified save, which makes the game launch an application on your SD card.

AHP_person

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does anyone think someone will decrypt Smealums exploit and re-release with kernal support? If someone does it'll be Rom Loading for everyone! Thoughts?

There's a problem with that thought. Yes, there will most likely be people all over the exploit, but that does not mean it it good enough for kernel access. You most likely need a second exploit to chain with the first, even with that most people who end up with their kernel access will refuse to share. We may even end up with another Gateway at that point.

According to Smea, there is no way this exploit alone can lead to piracy.

Saturosias

thank
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, that was a pretty cancerous click.

If you did any research whatsoever, he has clearly stated that it is not possible with his exploit, not that he's "restricting it".

"b-but muh warez, i want 'em now'

Canzah

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
"b-but muh warez, i want 'em now'
It's really sad to see people like you post ignorant things like these. Homebrew alone will never have the ability to translate games that publishers refuse to localize, it also won't disable the region lock that's constantly screwing over people (including those that know Japanese since they can't import the games unless they also buy a Japanese 3DS), don't even get me started on general romhacking.

Huntereb

Trophies
Website
lewd.pics
XP
Country
United States
It won't need to be decrypted, it's not like he's going to obfuscate it like Gateway does. Smea has nothing to hide.

And he isn't just "Disabling" kernel access, this exploit only has the access to the permissions the application it was started from has. It could potentially lead to a kernel exploit in the future, but right now it's just an easy way of launching arm11 code. Not a big deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: I'm back