Homebrew with Kernal Support

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by pokemoner2500, Nov 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pokemoner2500
    OP

pokemoner2500 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 14, 2013
    United States
    Does anyone think someone will decrypt Smealums exploit and re-release with kernal support? If someone does it'll be Rom Loading for everyone! Thoughts?

2. duffmmann

duffmmann GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 11, 2009
    United States
    My understanding is that he doesn't want that to happen, but is aware that it likely will eventually happen. He just doesn't want to be the one considered responsible for it when it does hence why he didn't do it himself as I'm sure he would know how to.

Having said that I don't want to pirate actual 3DS games, I mostly just want to put emulators of GB/C/A, NES, SNES, and Genesis systems on my 3DS, and any great homebrew games that my come as well.

3. Sparks43

Sparks43 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 1, 2014
    I would think it has already been done

Just not released yet unlike all the stuff we have seen in the last few weeks

4. williamcesar2

williamcesar2 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 21, 2013
    United States
    New York City
    ''someone else will''

5. piratesephiroth

piratesephiroth I wish I could read

Sep 5, 2013
    Brazil
    Is it even going to be encrypted? I thought it would be open source.

It's a save game exploit. You run the game and the game loads the modified save, which makes the game launch an application on your SD card.

6. AHP_person

AHP_person GBAtemp Fan

Nov 2, 2014
    United States
    There's a problem with that thought. Yes, there will most likely be people all over the exploit, but that does not mean it it good enough for kernel access. You most likely need a second exploit to chain with the first, even with that most people who end up with their kernel access will refuse to share. We may even end up with another Gateway at that point.

According to Smea, there is no way this exploit alone can lead to piracy.

7. Saturosias

Saturosias Sakura-sō Resident

Dec 27, 2010
    United States
    Well, that was a pretty cancerous click.

If you did any research whatsoever, he has clearly stated that it is not possible with his exploit, not that he's "restricting it".

"b-but muh warez, i want 'em now'

8. Canzah

Canzah GBAtemp Fan

Jul 8, 2012
    Poland
    It's really sad to see people like you post ignorant things like these. Homebrew alone will never have the ability to translate games that publishers refuse to localize, it also won't disable the region lock that's constantly screwing over people (including those that know Japanese since they can't import the games unless they also buy a Japanese 3DS), don't even get me started on general romhacking.

9. Huntereb

Huntereb GBAtemp Addict

Sep 1, 2013
    United States
    It won't need to be decrypted, it's not like he's going to obfuscate it like Gateway does. Smea has nothing to hide.

And he isn't just "Disabling" kernel access, this exploit only has the access to the permissions the application it was started from has. It could potentially lead to a kernel exploit in the future, but right now it's just an easy way of launching arm11 code. Not a big deal.

10. raulpica

raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Supervisor
    Oct 23, 2007
    Italy
    PowerLevel: 9001
    Nobody on here has got a crystall ball - things can or can't happen. Time will tell.

Locked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.