Hacking Homebrew will still here after IOS37 is activated

Rocco Savadgie

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
Jun 26, 2006
Messages
154
Reaction score
8
Trophies
1
XP
299
Country
Portugal
I don't know if any of you read slashdot, but there was an article yesterday on the release of the homebrew channel http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/05/25/1818246 In the comments, Marcan made several interesting replies.


Regarding the security flaw used and options after it has been patched:

QUOTE said:
still be able to run homebrew after they fix the security software. There are plenty of other bugs that we can use (most of which are not public yet, so chances are Nintendo doesn't know about them), and most do not enable VC piracy as directly as the one major bug that they "fixed"



On the subject of running iso's from a usb or wifi loader:

QUOTEWhile, of course, this ability implies that you *can* run pirated software, with the right modifications, in practice I have yet to see a plausible black-hat group with the expertise needed to develop such a hack. And we're sure as heck not going to do it ourselves. All that people have been doing is Virtual Console piracy, which is quite easy once a few details got released / leaked, due to nintendo's multiple mistakes on their DRM. But patching commercial games to read their data from SD or USB is not at all trivial.


Interesting that IOS37 is not the end of homebrew channels.
 
Yeah, sounds good, a lot of people were saying it was the basis (and only one) for all homebrew.

As for the ISO launcher, that's fair enough there aren't any people that look like they're going to step up to the challenge. Though I'm sure we'll see some people eventually.
 
If I've understand right IOS37 is just to kill trucha signer. I think that someone even confirmed somehow that it doesn't kill homebrew (I don't know how though ;D).

1000 posts. yay. Sorry needed to say that.
 
TaMs said:
If I've understand right IOS37 is just to kill trucha signer. I think that someone even confirmed somehow that it doesn't kill homebrew (I don't know how though ;D).

1000 posts. yay. Sorry needed to say that.
Apparently marcan confirmed it.
It's good that they're not going public with the exploitable bugs
 
TaMs said:
If I've understand right IOS37 is just to kill trucha signer. I think that someone even confirmed somehow that it doesn't kill homebrew (I don't know how though ;D).

1000 posts. yay. Sorry needed to say that.


Sorry, I should have said homebrew channels which currently use the RSA signing bug, not homebrew in general (that can be launched via other means).
 

Site & Scene News