Homebrew Homebrew that enables you to download games on your ds????

hp.n0t1ze

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That would be really cool if somebody can make like a homebrew so you can download games on your ds.

Just like the DSOrganize Homebrew Database but full games.

And you can just get people to help you just to keep it up to date.
smile.gif
)))

alex

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
No, prolly not, but to the flashcart? That would be hard to run, and slow, and we would get hit harder by Nintendo, and GBATemp doesn't host ROMs. You would have to ask elsewhere.

Now, how about gOnline Portable, hey people?

xJonny

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The Homebrew Database has full games.

Unless you mean other peoples backups
ohmy.gif
That would be naughty. And expensive to host the site for. And risky. And very illegal. And nobody could be bothered to make it anyway.

It'd probably take too long downloading them to start off with.

Narin

The Cheat Master, kupo!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
cheats.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
This isn't really feasible for large updates since Homebrew tends to have wifi speeds of around 10 kilobytes per second. I'm not sure if its a problem with the NDS or the WiFi library, but the download speed is incredible slow. So it would take several hours just to download a game using the DS. It would be faster to download it with your PC and copy the game over.

Narin

The Cheat Master, kupo!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
cheats.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
hp.n0t1ze said:
well like example of the r4ds if u lose the card adapter then you cant download games anymore???
The USB MicroSD card reader? You can get them cheap. You can find them at various electronic stores and online for like 3-20$

hp.n0t1ze

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
but... its worth it because you CAN download games and plus its not like a computer u can leave it on and leave it alone.

Oh i was told they dont sell them my bad

Narin

The Cheat Master, kupo!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
cheats.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
hp.n0t1ze said:
but... its worth it because you CAN download games and plus its not like a computer u can leave it on and leave it alone.

Oh i was told they dont sell them my bad
A small, 20-30 megabyte game alone would tak around an hour to download. This is, if the connection doesn't get dropped which normally happens with homebrew using WiFi for long periods of time. So imagine that hour and multiply it by several tries until you finally download the file. Also this would require a server where all the roms are located and accessible. Most ROM sites use Rapidshare, Megaupload, ect to host roms in which the DS can't download and the others are either private or cost money. If a site was openly hosting roms, they would be shut down within a week.

So don't expect this ever happening unless you have your own server that you can upload the roms too and download them to your DS.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Narin said:
This isn't really feasible for large updates since Homebrew tends to have wifi speeds of around 10 kilobytes per second. I'm not sure if its a problem with the NDS or the WiFi library, but the download speed is incredible slow. So it would take several hours just to download a game using the DS. It would be faster to download it with your PC and copy the game over.
It's not necessarily that slow. With DSFTP and most other homebrew I can usually attain speeds of 30 kb/s consistently, while with DSLinux I can get up to 70 kb/s or so when downloading files with Links (mostly tested with MP3 files from OCRemix). Of course, I fully agree that it would not be worth downloading huge files with the DS.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've seen it report over 100 kb/s before as well, but then usually after a certain amount of time it will freeze entirely (my guess is that it doesn't start writing the file to the disk until this point) and then it finally resumes, so a final average of about 70 kb/s for me at least.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Like for micro