[Homebrew] Super Block Attack

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by kutteke, Nov 26, 2014.

1. kutteke
    OP

kutteke GBAtemp Regular

Oct 28, 2014
    Belgium
  2. hippy dave

hippy dave Butts Butts Megabutts

Apr 30, 2012
    Nice, it works. :)

Margen67 likes this.
  3. TidusWulf

TidusWulf Real Aloha

Jul 27, 2007
    United States
    Hawaii
    exciting to see new stuff being put together

4. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    Nice to see new games.
    I'm yet to install ninjhax and test homebrew myself. I bought cubic ninja 4 month ago, I guess it's time to try :P

I don't know if the author will see this, but naming the homebrew "tetris" is not recommended, the Tetris company is not very welcome on games using their names.
    Another homebrew already renamed it to prevent any future legal action.
    It's time to work on a better wiki template for homebrew.

Margen67, -pm- and ztoben like this.
  5. AlbertoSONIC

AlbertoSONIC Pasta Team Member

Jun 27, 2014
    Italy
    Is -pm- the developer of this game?

6. -pm-

-pm- Member

Newcomer
    Feb 19, 2014
    Gambia, The
    Yes, as I'd written in the Homebrew Development Thread, I was the developer of the game :)
    It was just a tiny little test, therefore I didn't announce it in an extra thread or like that, even didn't link it in the 3dbrew-Wiki.

I didn't felt wrong about naming a tetris game tetris, but I'm not a lawyer, just a developer with ordinary rational thoughts - therefore, probably you're right, as lawyers don't need to be rational :D
    Currently I'm working on something else for 3ds, but when I find some time and a good name, I'll rename it.

But please don't expect development around this game to be completed, it has a few bugs (better don't rotate pieces around the corners) I won't fix.
    I will accept merge requests, so feel free to fork and extend the game if you want. Its there for educational purpose.

7. Kandern97

Kandern97 GBAtemp Regular

Aug 27, 2014
    Gambia, The
    Kandern
    Could someone upload a compiled version in .3dsx and .smsh formats? And perhaps .3ds and/or .cia if it's possible?

Margen67 likes this.
  8. -pm-

-pm- Member

Newcomer
    Feb 19, 2014
    Gambia, The
    There is already, on github, attached to an release: https://github.com/pmedia/3ds-tetris/releases

--
    edit:

Still searching on a new name, suggestions are welcome.
    If you want your name (== credits) in a 3ds homebrew game without contributing code, here's you chance! :D

SLiV3R, Margen67 and supermalloch like this.
  9. Kandern97

Kandern97 GBAtemp Regular

Aug 27, 2014
    Gambia, The
    Kandern
    Thank you for the compiled version (I don't know how GitHub works, so thanks)! Also for the name, why not call it Super Block Attack? (In honour of Super ACiD Block Attack for DOS)

Margen67 and -pm- like this.
  10. -pm-

-pm- Member

Newcomer
    Feb 19, 2014
    Gambia, The
    Reminds me of Tetris Attack, an awesome title by Intelligent System for Super Nintendo Entertainment System.
    What does cyan think of the name? (Well... Final Fantasy 6 was awesome, too! Best FF ever imho)

At least at the german trademark register I can't find any word marks for Super Block Attack.
    There is Block Attack, which was registered as trademark in US in 2011 for merchandise and games but looks like they took it off again.

Maybe then it would be nice to change some animations to match super block attack as well?
    At least I like the game over animation where all blocks fall down to pixels, I would like to adapt that animation for line clearance as well.

11. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    well, don't choose a name based on my preference :P
    I only told that The Tetris Company owns "tetris" name, and they don't like seeing their name on unofficial products.

They even don't like any Tetris clones using tetrominos blocs (they often requested developers to drop their projects, some even ended to Courts).
    They could decide to annoy anyone who made a clone, even if it's not named Tetris, but I just think it could "pass" better if it doesn't contain their name in homebrew projects.

Maybe they don't care about 3DS homebrew, it's not well known and very few people can play it.

12. shamzie

shamzie Oh David de Gea <3

Mar 19, 2014
    Manchester
    Name it Titres :)

13. TidusWulf

TidusWulf Real Aloha

Jul 27, 2007
    United States
    Hawaii
    just cal it Blocks

14. 0nethe

0nethe GBAtemp Regular

Jul 30, 2013
    Mali
    Or Tretis :P

15. -pm-

-pm- Member

Newcomer
    Feb 19, 2014
    Gambia, The
    Actually, I'll go with "Super Block Attack", as it is imho the best proposal yet.

Therefore, Kandern97 get's the "credit" award - congratulations :)
    Thanks for everybodys participation.

Notice, that the GitHub Repository already has been changed to https://github.com/pmedia/super-block-attack
    There is also a new release with its only change being a new name and some omnipresent credits on the lower screen.

Have Fun!

SLiV3R, Margen67 and Cyan like this.
  16. orion4874

orion4874 Member

Newcomer
    Sep 14, 2009
    United States
    Does anyone happen to have an icon.bin file for this game?

17. -pm-

-pm- Member

Newcomer
    Feb 19, 2014
    Gambia, The
  18. Gettwobirdsstone

Gettwobirdsstone Triforce Guardian

Jul 1, 2012
    Canada
    Behind you breathing heavily
    Couldn't get it to show up in ninjhax, maybe I'm missing something or got a bad compile.
    Never mind, placed in a folder and spaced out the words. Took out the spaces, boom, works. I found a bug where if you change rotation against the wall it restarts the game.

19. -pm-

-pm- Member

Newcomer
    Feb 19, 2014
    Gambia, The
    Its a known bug I won't fix, as I am working on another (way bigger) project currently. Maybe sometime in the future. Shouldn't be much to fix, as "game over" is determined by a single method.
    But I'll accept merge requests, so if you want to fix it, you can.

Margen67 likes this.
  20. orion4874

orion4874 Member

Newcomer
    Sep 14, 2009
    United States
    The png doesn't show in the Hombrew Channel menu. I looked at other programs and the icon is either incorporated in the .3dsx file or is a separate .bin file. It's not really a big deal, I was just wondering if either you or other users had a premade icon.bin.