Homebrew on Arcade Wii Model RVA-001?

Timladan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has anyone gotten homebrew software running on the arcade model of the Wii (RVA-001) that Capcom used in Japanese arcades?

A lot of the hardware is the same as the retail Wii, but it outputs in VGA and the controls are JVS via USB.

I'd like to extract the software from the NAND as it may be undumped.

Attachments

• PXL_20231023_230400072~2.jpg
    PXL_20231023_230400072~2.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 55
  • PXL_20231023_231538146~2.jpg
    PXL_20231023_231538146~2.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 31
  • PXL_20231023_231203205~2.jpg
    PXL_20231023_231203205~2.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 33

Disorarara

Trophies
XP
Country
Nobody has done it yet to my knowledge, but if you do manage it it would be great to get the arcade files dumped and perhaps even running on retail Wiis

Timladan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow ! They used the older/larger TF card as storage & apps ?
I believe the software is stored in a NAND flash memory chip on the underside of the motherboard not visible in that picture.

It has the ability to accept updates through the SD slot but I'm not sure any games used it.

Timladan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think that would be the attack vector to load homebrew off of
That's how my Wii was hacked years ago, and I was using a USB HDD for storage. Now it looks like it can be loaded via USB so I will have to try that as well.
Post automatically merged:

It would have to be SMD & non-removable/changeable ?

I also hate it when they remove IC IDs :(
Yeah, I believe it is the same surface mounted chip the Wii used for internal memory. The top middle black IC here.

Attachments

• PXL_20231023_232051289~2.jpg
    PXL_20231023_232051289~2.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 32
  • TVC6 (1).jpg
    TVC6 (1).jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 33
Last edited by Timladan,

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
It's more like the main store is a NAND just like the retail Wii, you can try to use the hardware methods to dump the original NAND before do anything to the board.

Wanikoko could help you with the hacking of that console, it must be a normal one with a tweaked firmware to use the the extra hardware and the USB (JVS) controllers

Reactions: Timladan

CrazyGadgetMods

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Out of curiosity, why mod this rare piece of hardware instead of just VGA modding a regular Wii? All Wiis can output VGA natively, but it you need to run a VGA patch (like the one found in RVLoader) and solder to the RGB / HSync & VSync pins on the audio / video encoder.

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Out of curiosity, why mod this rare piece of hardware instead of just VGA modding a regular Wii? All Wiis can output VGA natively, but it you need to run a VGA patch (like the one found in RVLoader) and solder to the RGB / HSync & VSync pins on the audio / video encoder.
conservation, be able to use that rare piece of hardware

Larsenv

Dr. Wii, Ph.D
Trophies
Website
larsenv.xyz
XP
Country
United States
Someone on Dolphin's IRC was trying to extract the NAND but I don't know if they were successful. The issue's you can't easily gain homebrew access on it because the methods to mod a Wii are closed off because you can't trigger an exploit. The key to decrypt the NAND is only accessible with software. You can't use BlueBomb either since to exploit it you would have to generate a small binary called stage0 which is made with the game DOL. This would be hard to mod unless you can figure that out

Wanikoko could help you with the hacking of that console, it must be a normal one with a tweaked firmware to use the the extra hardware and the USB (JVS) controllers
If you mean Waninkoko himself that dude is long gone, unless you mean the programs he created.

conservation, be able to use that rare piece of hardware
Did you mean preservation?

Last edited by Larsenv,

Timladan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't intend to made hardware modifications.

I'd like to dump the software for preservation. I don't know know if anyone could make it playable considering the control scheme, but there may be some cool assets that Nintendo fans could extract.

I was hoping that it would behave like a retail Wii where you could revert back to a previous image of the flash memory.

Someone on Dolphin's IRC was trying to extract the NAND but I don't know if they were successful. The issue's you can't easily gain homebrew access on it because the methods to mod a Wii are closed off because you can't trigger an exploit. The key to decrypt the NAND is only accessible with software. You can't use BlueBomb either since to exploit it you would have to generate a small binary called stage0 which is made with the game DOL. This would be hard to mod unless you can figure that out

Thank you for this information. I was hoping one of the newer tools could boot to an app that would circumvent the system's OS, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

I believe Tatsunoko vs Capcom has been dumped, so I wonder if there is a unique problem with extracting this game.

Last edited by Timladan,

Larsenv

Dr. Wii, Ph.D
Trophies
Website
larsenv.xyz
XP
Country
United States

I'd like to dump the software for preservation. I don't know know if anyone could make it playable considering the control scheme, but there may be some cool assets that Nintendo fans could extract.

I was hoping that it would behave like a retail Wii where you could revert back to a previous image of the flash memory.

Thank you for this information. I was hoping one of the newer tools could boot to an app that would circumvent the system's OS, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

I believe Tatsunoko vs Capcom has been dumped, so I wonder if there is a unique problem with extracting this game.
Isn't this Wii arcade version different from the Wii disc version?

Disorarara

Trophies
XP
Country
Apparently the SD card slot is used to load both updates and extra data if 512MB wasn't enough. According to the internal documents from the gigaleak the arcade games are stored as 512 megabyte wads. The same gigaleak also has the cryptographic keys needed to sign packages for the 5 arcade developers Nintendo intended to sign on for this arcade board. If you have no hangups about using leaked internal keys to sign a homebrew loader that might be the way to go.

Isn't this Wii arcade version different from the Wii disc version?
The arcade board uses JVS controls so I don't think it would work if you installed it on a retail Wii, although some enterprising hacker could probably make a gecko code to add GameCube or Wii controls.

Larsenv

Dr. Wii, Ph.D
Trophies
Website
larsenv.xyz
XP
Country
United States
I talked with someone that can dump it by taking off the NAND and then flash a debug BootMii image to it, then put it back on the console to dump NAND and keys. I didn't think of doing this, you could still try to do it the way I mentioned before but this is more straightforward. @ProbablyBobably... Check your inbox

Last edited by Larsenv,

Larsenv

Dr. Wii, Ph.D
Trophies
Website
larsenv.xyz
XP
Country
United States
Just read this part now, the only way I can see you can dump it is with the trick I mentioned. BlueBomb creates this file to exploit it that reads part of the DOL and creates a stage0 file with an address, however it would be trivial to brute force that value (since you don't have the DOL) because even if you get it to exploit, there's not a guarantee you can install BootMii to it, plus you will have modified the NAND. This dude's been able to dump development hardware and is currently talking to the owner of Tatsunoko vs Capcom hardware to get a dump. He's got good tools to do this kind of thing and can give it back to you when it's dumped, and him and I really want to do it for you

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: unless nintendo is going to start selling consoles at a loss that thing won't be cheap based on...