Homebrew Homebrew Development

ernilos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good progress made on 3DSController today:

- The IP is now read from the 3DS SD card, in "root:/3DSController.ini" rather than being hard coded into the app,
- The touch screen now moves the mouse on the PC,

Initial release will be soon.

I did a shit like this a loong time ago, I used it to play Osu! easy songs xD

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
if you could stream your PC to the console at the same time that would be even better for Osu :P

Someone made a server/client controller for Wii and Windows using PPjoy. (PadSend, look in the homebrew competition section)
It's currently only compatible with Gamecube and DS, but that would be great if his project wasn't dead :(
Maybe you could try to contact him if you could add 3DS support?

Reactions: filfat

YoshiInAVoid

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country

minexew

ayy lmao
Trophies
XP
Country
Soooo has anyone found out yet how to either
- change newlib's stdout pointer to your own FILE*
- redirect printf, puts etc. without recompiling the whole of devkitARM
?

I've looked around the newlib sources for a bit, but haven't found a function that could do either. (at least now I know where the stdout pointer is located)
I assume it would be possible to get hold of the default stdout structure and rewrite its contents, but I'm keeping that as the last resort.

YourNerdyJoe

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
yournerdyjoe.github.io
XP
Country
United States
?

I've looked around the newlib sources for a bit, but haven't found a function that could do either. (at least now I know where the stdout pointer is located)
I assume it would be possible to get hold of the default stdout structure and rewrite its contents, but I'm keeping that as the last resort.

I found this way back when I was doing gba homebrew. If you look in his stdio-0.1.tar.gz you'll see he modifies functions like _write_r which I believe are called by printf and other functions in newlib.
Maybe you can do something like this for 3DS.

D

Deleted User

?

I usually just override printf, etc by defining it to my own function that calls svcPrintDebugString. Useful for printing debug to a console when testing in an emulator.

minexew

ayy lmao
Trophies
XP
Country
I found this way back when I was doing gba homebrew. If you look in his stdio-0.1.tar.gz you'll see he modifies functions like _write_r which I believe are called by printf and other functions in newlib.
Maybe you can do something like this for 3DS.

Yeah, that still involves recompiling newlib though.

I usually just override printf, etc by defining it to my own function that calls svcPrintDebugString. Useful for printing debug to a console when testing in an emulator.

I might actually end up doing something this awful, thanks for the idea.

jasonmbrown

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Im almost Finished a really Crappy homebrew version of space invaders, If anyone wants to check out the first version of it. I uploaded it below. No source for the moment.

Keys are as follows
R Trigger = Reset level
A Button Fires Bullet
Start Resets
Circle Pad Left Or Right Moves you.

Theres No Game over yet so you cant actually die. Its my first time coding anything in C So I dont think its 2 bad. Uses pixel Collision which is a little bit buggy. Gimme some feed back :D (I am Trying to make it Very configurable but im going to have to double check all my math, and im having trouble with larger sprites (invaders). I coded Mostly From scratch, With the exception of the fonts, which I grabbed from a github somewhere that has the entire unicode system pre converted to a nice and easy "bits" format (each 8x8 sprite only uses 8 char variables) Il get the link later when i upload the source

Left in a really Dumb Bug, Fixed it now though. Gonna figure out why Its lagging so much. Enjoy!...
Edit:OOps didnt actually update the fixed File.. Reupped

Just a heads up Some stuff thats broken with it, The invaders teleport so if your shooting between them you probably wont ever hit them. *its pixel collision based as well so you will notice lag the more bullets you spam out, im going to optomize the pixel collision as best i can* Bullets are only 1 pixel but im going to make them a bit bigger (although im not sure how much bigger)

I do plan on having a small menu and a level editor by the first version, but i have to get my code for loading different "sprites" to work correctly.

Does anyone Have a built version of citra emulator?.. (current github version isnt building?)

Attachments

• Spaceinvadersv01b.zip
    45.2 KB · Views: 1,722

2Hack

HYPiavelli
Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
Canada
Left in a really Dumb Bug, Fixed it now though. Gonna figure out why Its lagging so much. Enjoy!...
Edit:OOps didnt actually update the fixed File.. Reupped

Just a heads up Some stuff that's broken with it, The invaders teleport so if your shooting between them you probably wont ever hit them. *its pixel collision based as well so you will notice lag the more bullets you spam out, im going to optomize the pixel collision as best i can* Bullets are only 1 pixel but im going to make them a bit bigger (although im not sure how much bigger)

Pixels could use a little beefing up, but I'm not seeing any abnormal lag. Space invaders was initially supposed to be slow then speed up as sprites were removed, making it go at the intended speed.

There are areas where shots will go straight through without hitting anyone regardless, but thats obviously because you're teleporting them rather than moving them side to side.

Also you forgot to mention,

L+R+START+SELECT = Exit game.

jasonmbrown

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Pixels could use a little beefing up, but I'm not seeing any abnormal lag. Space invaders was initially supposed to be slow then speed up as sprites were removed, making it go at the intended speed.

There are areas where shots will go straight through without hitting anyone regardless, but thats obviously because you're teleporting them rather than moving them side to side.

Also you forgot to mention,

L+R+START+SELECT = Exit game.

Actually its just Start lol. Also I fixed A Major part of the lag that was happening, thats what v01b is lol... (I stoped it looping through every bullet including the non existant ones) Before I did the collision detection it was running WAY faster... so im gonna have to do something about that!

2Hack

HYPiavelli
Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
Canada
Actually its just Start lol. Also I fixed A Major part of the lag that was happening, thats what v01b is lol... (I stoped it looping through every bullet including the non existant ones) Before I did the collision detection it was running WAY faster... so im gonna have to do something about that!

Haha Yeah I think I should get to sleep. I always try the l-r-start-select combo first.

Arisotura

rise of melonism
Trophies
Website
kuribo64.net
XP
Country
France
is there a way (I mean already done by someone else's project) to fill portion of the screen with color based on 4 coordinates? making rectangles, but not with "pixel + height + width", more like 4 unaligned pixels.
Should I need to use the 3D engine with vertex? (it's only creating forms with triangles, not rectangles?)

Or do I need to coded it myself? maybe a scanline parser and filling matching pixels?

I didn't start anything yet, just reading and getting info on what I could do.
I never developed anything with 3D models, I would prefer to start with 2D.
If you want to draw non-trivial shapes, you'd be better off using the GPU I guess.

Reactions: Cyan

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
it depends what you mean by manager.
copy/delete/rename?

There are homebrew to mount SD and browse the files and folders.
But no renamer yet I think.
It could be useful to be able to rename files, to manage different Launcher.dat or multiple savegame files. (a savegame manager homebrew would be great)

Look at SDbrowser, by lectem.
http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/List_of_3DS_homebrew_applications

If you want to edit your files without removing the SD card, you can use FTBrony.
it supports RNFR and RNTO commands, but maybe renaming is not working? git readme has this mention : rename syscall is broken?
instead transfer to computer, rename on computer, transfer again and delete old one.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.the-sun.com/news/10907833/self-checkout-complaints-new-target-dollar-general-policies...