Homebrew Bounty 2011: Results & Winners

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
For my part, I gave more importance to actual homebrew (the one launched on the console) instead of computer applications.
I voted for games which deal with graphics, sounds, inputs, events, even 3D.

Only SmashStack is used on the Wii, and as said in the readme he didn't do a lot as all the sources are from other developers.
I'm not saying he didn't do anything, because if he didn't there weren't this exploit available to PAL users. All his tools are great, but I don't think it was homebrew.

Though, other judges seems to not have the same view as me as ModMii won the first place.

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
Burton said:
Giantpune should've deserved a prize too. His nand creator PC Utility is really helpful. I thought for sure it was going to be mentioned there (I mean in the first three places).
Honestly, even though I'm happy to have gotten first place, I think giantpune deserved it more... and if not 1st place, then at least somewhere in the top 3!

This is why I've donated $50 to giantpune from my winnings and I encourage like minded individuals to do the same.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
It's not like he developed them only to win a homebrew competition, he already was developing the tools before the competition announcement.
He submitted them because it was Wii related, but created them for himself first (I guess he enjoy understanding how the wii is working and how to interact with it's internal and files format, like most developers do).

His tools are useful for the community and he is working hard on them, the people using them should be grateful and decide by themselves to make donations, but I don't see why he should be on strike because he didn't win.
Then, all the other participants not in the top 3 should be on strike and stop making homebrew too?

Next bounty should have all the prices divided by participant number and all of them will be winners, like on funfair games "no losers, everyone's a winner".

Costello

Headmaster
OP
Administrator
Trophies
XP
Cyan said:
It's not like he developed them only to win a homebrew competition, he already was developing the tools before the competition announcement.
He submitted them because it was Wii related, but created them for himself first (I guess he enjoy understanding how the wii is working and how to interact with it's internal and files format, like most developers do).

His tools are useful for the community and he is working hard on them, the people using them should be grateful and decide by themselves to make donations, but I don't see why he should be on strike because he didn't win.
Then, all the other participants not in the top 3 should be on strike and stop making homebrew too?

Next bounty should have all the prices divided by participant number and all of them will be winners, like on funfair games "no losers, everyone's a winner".
except some would whine because they get less money
tongue.gif

Mbmax

Homebrew addicted
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Next time, maybe consider that every participant could get a tshirt of the bounty (with sponsors on it), just to say, "i was here !".
tongue.gif

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
Cyan said:

Actually, he did onl;y publically release this stuff just for the homebrew competition. He personally did not need these apps because he does know the FS so well that he could manually do it himself on a per basis if he wanted to. I should know, I was his first beta tester. It was only a month after the announcement of the competition that he contacted me and he told me of his hope about winning the competition with his software. Both him and I were sure that his apps were going to win because of how original they were and how useful they were. I did not doubt him winning the competition one single bit. But of course, there are too many people that judged this competition that never tried his app because it was too 'hard core' for them to risk their wii with, and that is the only reason why he did not win this hands down. It is a crying shame. It is so much of a shame that our good friend Xflak is even donating some of his winnings bc he knows pune really deserves it.

People that do the judging need to open their eyes to ALL of the entries and try them all out fully before making a choice. This was a complete fail. I have lost respect for GBATemp even more than I had before.

I think a consolation price is due to pune... at the very least... if not an apology.

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
An apology? Are you kidding? You cant be serious....

And why should he get a consolation "price" over anyone else who didn't win? Does that happen in any other competition of this type?

The Judges cast their votes as they saw fit, and the winners were selected due to the number of votes each entry received. You whining on and on about the decision wont change anything.

As for you losing respect for the temp, I guess we will try and soldier on regardless without your precious respect.
frown.gif

tpi.gif

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Next year we're just buying a t-shirt cannon and we'll shoot it into a large crowd of homebrewers to decide. So you can't blame us for anything.

Anyway, if you don't like the rules then don't play the game.

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
lets all calm down, those who want to right the "wrong" can send pune a donation, those who don't can just chill and enjoy the status quo. But remember, Pune is a pioneer in this scene, so putting an end his strike will benefit us all.

Honestly, my only beef (albeit minor) is that a mod thinks its okay to say something like this "I guess we will try and soldier on regardless without your precious respect.", that is a loaded comment and to me it sounds like you are trying to start an argument. Don't get me wrong, I know Foez says loaded things all the time, but he's not a mod... I expect more from you guys.... and hopefully this post isn't also seen as a loaded comment, lol, but then again I'm not a mod so w/e
tongue.gif

peace

Burton

Real Life VIP and Educator
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
XFlak said:
lets all calm down, those who want to right the "wrong" can send pune a donation, those who don't can just chill and enjoy the status quo. But remember, Pune is a pioneer in this scene, so putting an end his strike will benefit us all.

Honestly, my only beef (albeit minor) is that a mod thinks its okay to say something like this "I guess we will try and soldier on regardless without your precious respect.", that is a loaded comment and to me it sounds like you are trying to start an argument. Don't get me wrong, I know Foez says loaded things all the time, but he's not a mod... I expect more from you guys.... and hopefully this post isn't also seen as a loaded comment, lol, but then again I'm not a mod so w/e
tongue.gif

peace

I pm'd Pune telling him I was going to give him a donation because in essence, we members that are very familiar with the Wii Scene know that his work is a masterpiece and unique. There's no other app like ohneswanzenegger elsewhere.

I think that in the next competition it should be divided in two or more categories like:

Wii Entries:
1) Wii Hombrew 1st, 2nd, 3rd place
2) Pc applications for Wii 1st, 2nd, 3rd place

... and so on with the other consoles or projects.

I think this way there is a better chance for certain projects to win higher places.

...as for Xflak's comment it's true that there are people who moderate this community in a professional way as his / her position requires and I'm really grateful of them, however there are others that reply (I don't know if it is abuse of Power or what) so harsh that makes one wonder how he/*she* gained that position.

Costello

Headmaster
OP
Administrator
Trophies
XP
XFlak said:

tongue.gif

peace
after GBAtemp donated $2500 and organized the whole thing, it would be an understatement to say that it's ungrateful to complain to us like that.
it's a lack of respect for the effort that we've put into the event.
you can't expect respect if you don't respect us in the first place.

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
Wouldn't it be a good idea to go ahead and officially announce Homebrew Bounty 2012?

Reasons:

1. A full year of development time will lead to better homebrew.
2. Since interest in the DS and Wii is declining, we need more exposure time to spread the word about the contest to compensate.
3. More time to gather a large prize purse. More money = more incentive for great homebrew.
4. Since the previous contest has just concluded and prize money awarded, interest should be higher now than later. Strike while the iron is hot.
5. I know devs can simply be told "Go ahead and start, what's stopping you?", but an official announcement would certainly trigger more development.

Another idea: add a PSP homebrew catagory. I've noticed a lot of scene migration to this platform lately here, so shouldn't we address it? (PS3 too, wth)
(my apologies if these ideas bother the already exausted staff, I'm sure the previous contest was a lot of work and I'm mindful and respectful of that fact.
smile.gif
)

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
Costello said:
you can't expect respect if you don't respect us in the first place.
There's been plenty of respect, some has been lost, but not all. Still, an authorative figure should always handle things professionally. But personally, I was not bothered by his comment.

My only point that I'm trying to make is that I'm sure that most people who did the judging had never tried punes app. So since that is the case, how could he have ever been given a fair chance? Out of the 162 points that were divided among the wii homebrew apps (I'm assuming 1 point = 1 vote, correct me if there was not 162 judges and let me know how it really worked), but no matter what the case was, I'm sure only a very very small percentage actually tried punes app out. I bet even a smaller percentage actually flashed the created nand.bin to their wii. I am willing to bet most judges just read the description and said to themselves "ehh, it sounds cool, but not what I care about", and then they never bothered to look into it even deeper.

Really, how many of the judges can honestly say that they downloaded punes apps and tried them out?

Out of all the entried in the competition, his thread about ohneswanzenegger has the third most replies from other users in the homebrew bounty entries section of the forum. His thread has the most out of all the wii homebrew entries. The only 2 other threads that have more replies are for DS and DSI homebrew. So there is OBVIOUSLY quite an interest in the community for his app. Although the amount of replies in a thread does not give an exact science about how interested other users are, but it certainly says a lot.

And the reason why I say that pune deserves an apology is because of all those who did the judging but did not bother to even try out his app. That is extremely unfair. Anyone who puts an app (or 3) into a competition should have their app/s looked at by the 'qualified' judges. Each judge should take the same amount of time playing with each homebrew app to be able to make a fair and unbiased opinion.

I'm sure this will now get a bunch of replies with people saying that they tried it out, even though they are lying and never even downloaded it. But to prove my point, I'll have pune pull up the statistics for when and how many times his apps have been downloaded. If anyone who was a judge had decided to not download the app before the judging started (which was most) then there should have been a big increase in the amount of times it was downloaded when the judging started *if* the judges were giving every developer a fair chance.

How many of the judges had non-vulnerable boot1 wii's (so no bootmii in boot2) would even dare have the balls to try flashing some randomly created nand.bin file to their wii? I'm probably one of the few willing to do that.

So was pune given a fair chance? No. Did he deserve better than that? Yes.

The whole point to this competition was to reward those who develop great thing and to give them encouragement to continue on with what they are great, well, now we just lost the wonderful potential of someone who has already done a huge amount of work and effort for the community.

I've donated to pune a few different times in the past. I test things out for him. At least if he makes something and decides not to share with the community, then I'm sure he would still share with me. So this is all the communities loss, not so much mine.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
Judges were sent a pack which included the last update for each entered file. He can check his stats all he wants and they will not reflect the amount of people who judged for the Wii category.

Please STOP assuming you know how the judging was conducted, you are only making yourself look rather foolish.

It is rather admirable that you are such a fan of his work that you feel he deserved to win. The fact remains that his files were tested and considered by those who judged the Wii category and they did not vote him the winner.

Are you posting under the assumption that our competition included professional judges who do this type of thing for a living? In actuality the judges were made up of your peers and your peers felt they did not want to award him a prize. Asking GBATemp to apologize for their decision is an outlandish request, one for which you should apologize for.

We tried very hard to have a fun, open, respectful, and honest competition. We don’t need our good name sullied by your derogatory comments based on your personal opinion of what you think went down verses how it all actually happened.

-Another World

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
Another World said:
We don’t need our good name sullied by your derogatory comments based on your personal opinion of what you think went down verses how it all actually happened.
Derogatory? What did I say that you feel was derogatory? I've been trying to say my thoughts and opinions without cussing or sounding like I'm yelling at anyone. As far as I can find, the only single comment that I can see that could even be considered derogatory was the "fail competition" comment.

Hey, I have an opinion and I am going to speak it. At least you did enlighten me on the 'pack' thing, that I was not aware of. But that still does not prove that everyone actually tried it. Were you a judge? Did you fully try out his app and flash the nand.bin to your wii?

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
DeadlyFoez said:
Were you a judge? Did you fully try out his app and flash the nand.bin to your wii?

sadly (because i grew up with nintendo), i personally feel the wii is a huge gimmick and i suspect that i will never own one. i judged for the ds, dsi, and scds2 categories. these are the sections i am intimately familiar with. during one brief second i did consider judging the wii category based solely on extensive research but i quickly decided that would be a misuse of my judging position.

-another world

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
Another World said:
sadly (because i grew up with nintendo), i personally feel the wii is a huge gimmick and i suspect that i will never own one. i judged for the ds, dsi, and scds2 categories. these are the sections i am intimately familiar with. during one brief second i did consider judging the wii category based solely on extensive research but i quickly decided that would be a misuse of my judging position.

-another world
I can respect you for that.

BTW, how's carmageddon treating you out there?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up