Homebrew Question Homebrew and extFat

switshgam0r

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hi, is it real that some homebrew programms are unstable with extFat? I use extFat since three days and ftpd freezes on write and the switch crashes with a error message.

xoxxxoooxo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, is it real that some homebrew programms are unstable with extFat? I use extFat since three days and ftpd freezes on write and the switch crashes with a error message.

exFAT definitely has issues; I can't remember which thread I found but it described a process of connecting the SD to windows and changing one setting on the card that stopped issues. My problem was no apps in homebrew were showing up. You might have the same issue

Kyuuketsuki

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
exFAT has no issues for me, though I use a decent micro SD card with a good read/write data rate and I'm currently using 114GB on my 512GB card.

Spend the money on a decent mSD (128GB is more than enough), format it to exFAT and you'll be good to go.

Gary_BBGames

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I would just like to chip in, there are some major issues with exFAT and home-brew if you use a Mac to put the files on the SD card.
I had an issue with home-brew not showing up, or the image album not launching in to the home-brew App Store.
When using a Mac to put the files on to the SD card, they have a bit set on, which shows them as ready for archiving. The Switch cannot parse those files correctly.
To solve this, you can either use a Windows machine and right click the files, select properties then advanced, and turn that setting off.
I don't have easy access to a Windows machine, so if you boot up with the hekate 3.2 payload and select "tools" there is an option to unset the bit there.

Reactions: lordelan

Kyuuketsuki

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Gary_BBGames

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Using a Mac, could be your enemy here if you're experiencing micro SD issues. However, running Windows (I'd suggest a stripped down 7) within a virtual environment could be your solution. B-)

https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac-software/run-windows-on-mac-3497251/

I’ve already said you can do it directly from the switch. Setting up a VM is total overkill when it’s a 2 button fix on hekate, but I do appreciate the suggestion. It would work, just be loads more effort.

Reactions: lordelan

switshgam0r

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I use Windows 7 in a VirtualBox (Debian as host). Install and play .nsp or .xci works great. Play snes games in emulators works without problems. Maybe my ftpd version is faulty.

bad361

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
just search that error and you'll find plenty of threads..i have this problem too only with ftpd. I have 64gb sandisk, i checked it multiple times for errors and bad sectors but everything is fine. And every time i try to transfer somewhat big files (like 200+mb) with ftpd i get this libnx error 2345-0021. No problems with other homebrews or games. Tried different versions of ftpd including the latest one, but it still crashes my switch. Seems like a lot of ppl have this problem too but at the same time there are plenty who admit that ftpd works fine for them even with big files. idk...

Last edited by bad361,

XC-3730C

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone here use ReteoNX with exFAT successfully?

It would suck to have to FAT32 format my 256gb microSD, then somehow reinstall all the games over 4GB juat to use RetroNX to play emus.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

ciskohansen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Anyone here use ReteoNX with exFAT successfully?

It would suck to have to FAT32 format my 256gb microSD, then somehow reinstall all the games over 4GB juat to use RetroNX to play emus.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

me , from the beginning and no problems

switshgam0r

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So, I have time this morning and I tested more. I think the probelm is on my firmware 5.1.

For SOSX 1.4 i bought a new 128gb sd-card. For big files I formated it extFAT. My 4.1 console needs an update for it and I installed it. On the old firmware and SXOS 1.3 on a fat32 sd-card the ftpd works without problems. It worked also with fuse-gelee and Hekate.

Today i tested it with another 16gb sd-card, with fat32, extfat, SXOS 1.4 and RayNX fusee-gelee (without SXOS) from (https://switchtools.sshnuke.net/). In every combination the ftpd crashes.

XC-3730C

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
switshgam0r,

I just turn off my Switch, eject my microSD card, and transfer via my USB 3.0 card reader in my PC. A lot faster and certainly more reliable than FTP.

Bellebite2000

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
me , from the beginning and no problems

Yes, zero problem here, and I finished multiple games on PS and SNES.
I just feel like this is a huge fake news campaign, targeted at SX OS, as usual.
After messing a lot with RetroNX, I got back to PFBA and PSNES.
I just hope that Cpasjuste will port a NES and PS emulators and I should be good to go until the end of time, and get rid of RetroNX for good.
UI is awful, you have to select the core, then select content, and then select the core AGAIN???? How many extra confirmations do they need?
Those people have never played games for sure, or been interacting with a decent UI, on top of spreading fake "your house will burn and the world will end in 2012 if you use ExFAT" news.

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Those people have never played games for sure, or been interacting with a decent UI
Wow we've got a salt overload here. Someone bring a goat to lick it away.
UI is awful, you have to select the core, then select content, and then select the core AGAIN???? How many extra confirmations do they need?
You haven't heard of playlists yet? They do exactly this for you. How would you have developed a software to unite multiple emulators under one frontend? I know what you're going to tell me: "If I chose a *.gb file it should f*cking start it with the gb core!"
There's two problems with that:
First one being that there's more than one core for a few systems with each having other benefits so it's even kind of RetroNX to ask you which core you would like to use.
The second thing is that many ppl (me as well) are zipping there roms so RetroNX can't tell by the extension (*.zip) what core to chose.
That's why RetroNX/RetroArch has a playlist feature where you put in your roms with the core you want and it's saved:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/development-thread-retroarch-libnx.505672/page-134#post-8129120

Reactions: tiliarou

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I went to auction at a mom/pops video game store few months ago that was closing, and bought 11 slims for $200, 1 was DOA but 10 work fine. so hella deal. Already rgh3'ed 8 of them. But most younger kids don't even want anymore, unless it plays stupid "fortnight", or newer shit.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Think I'm gonna use my giftcard balance on a nice pair of headphones but $100 is still limited
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Soundcore q30s are nice but they leak so much sound it sounds like speakers
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Ken spend the 100 on a gun and skii mask, wait for a jogger at the park jewelry money and headphones!
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If only Amazon sold guns
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Fucking dick heads think it's a bad idea to get a gun 2 days later
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Wait, I thought you were the dickhe...nvm
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got balls on my chin and two dicks on my forehead sir
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Sorry, no offense there double dickhead chinballs.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Chicks still love it
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    "Mommy, look, what is that?". "That's your soon to be daddy."
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That you'll only see once
    +2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Double dickhead chinballs is still better than double dickhead eyeballs.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    As in, the balls will grow in your eye sockets.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I paid 5 grand to get them moved to my chin
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    This you?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My hair can't be that cool
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Ah, yes, portrait mode, surely the best way to film a row of people. If only there were some way to fit a wider shot, at the expense of height... if only...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    4k portrait mode?
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/Rx-KuevU4h4?si=1MoSvL-y5fFFHf58 Damn kinda sad for Iran