Home gym - workout area.

Anakir

Project: Melee
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just like to point out that I wasn't sure which one to use; the blog or general off topic area. I just hope I can get more responses by putting it in general off topic area. Anyways..

So yeah, I'm planning to have a home gym. My friend's moving out of my house in about a week so I'll have a room totally empty next to mine. I want to make it into a workout room. Thing is, I don't know where to start.

I have experience with weight training, but I just like to go a bit beyond what I do at the moment. All I did before were bench press, free weights - dumbells and stuff, and pretty much just regular exercise. But never went to a gym. One thing though, it is EXTREMELY hard for me to build up. My metabolism is crazy fast.. I can't seem to gain much.

I was thinking of going to the gym. It's a good solution, but an expensive one. Home gyms are expensive too.. but the cost of one is set unlike gyms. You have to pay monthly fee so eventually, it will be too much for me to pay for. Plus, my brother and dad can use it too so home gym seems like the best solution for me so far.

I was thinking of using the Bowflex. Anyone heard of it? It's been around for quite a while and has built up a good reputation. A lot of people love it, and there are always those few people who don't. It looks very convincing to me. It doesn't use weights; it's all rods and cables for resistance strength training. It's a universal gym system so I can do many things with it as well. I'm just wondering if this is the best way to go.

I'd like to be a bit more built and toned. I do not want to be bulky and crazy big. I find it a bit disgusting if someone's wayyyy too built honestly.. no offense to anyone.

Anyways.. any thoughts? Suggestions? Thanks for those who read.

Edit: Forgot to mention. I'm working on the upper body; torso/chest, ab, arm. That's my goal for now.

nin10do

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Taiwan
home gyms don't work out very well cuz they simply don't have the same level or amount of equiment as a fully stocked gym.

when working out at home you'll also be tempted to give up faster and do something else. not to mention other distractions.

going to the gym is a much better idea especially if you go with someone else.

if you still want to work at home i suggest a couple of things like a bench (for bench press's) and a chain hanging from the roof ( for lats and stuff). besides that use free weishts for everything else.

Anakir

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nin10do said:
home gyms don't work out very well cuz they simply don't have the same level or amount of equiment as a fully stocked gym.

when working out at home you'll also be tempted to give up faster and do something else. not to mention other distractions.

going to the gym is a much better idea especially if you go with someone else.

if you still want to work at home i suggest a couple of things like a bench (for bench press's) and a chain hanging from the roof ( for lats and stuff). besides that use free weishts for everything else.

Thanks for the input. I do bench press already.. but its money that's a problem for me. I don't mind paying for myself, but I can definitely save money in the long run (at least 6 months until I start saving). I'm quite devoted to home gyms.. so I don't see it as a problem for me. Thanks though.

Gore said:
It's called Bowflex. I seen infomercials start for it.
All I can contribute.

Thanks, I didn't double check.

QUOTE(UltraMagnus @ Nov 23 2008, 10:53 PM)
hmm... I have actually been thinking about the same thing.

as for going to the gym, its just not as convenient.

The gym I may go to is quite convenient for me. It's just the money that's a problem for me. There's 2 near my school. I can go during my long breaks between classes. And there's one near my home.. but again.. it's money for both transportation and monthly fee.

dice

pansy-ass ex-staff member
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Regarding your metabolism, have you tried eating more protein? (that or fatty foods - not the processed crap)
That along with your workout should help you bulk up.

Anakir

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dice said:
Regarding your metabolism, have you tried eating more protein? (that or fatty foods - not the processed crap)
That along with your workout should help you bulk up.

Yeah I have. I can eat a lot. I mean a lottt. Still, nothing happens after that.
frown.gif

nin10do

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Taiwan
Anakir said:
I'd like to be a bit more built and toned. I do not want to be bulky and crazy big. I find it a bit disgusting if someone's wayyyy too built honestly.. no offense to anyone.

Anyways.. any thoughts? Suggestions? Thanks for those who read.

Edit: Forgot to mention. I'm working on the upper body; torso/chest, ab, arm. That's my goal for now.

don't work the upper body alone too long otherwise the rest of it will start to seem dispraportionate.

the workout that works for me: (personalise it to your likeing) :

2 full body workouts a week.

day1 monday, front of torso, shoulders and tricep/upper forearm .
day2 tuesday, back of torso, legs and bicep/lower forearm.

day1 again on wednesdays
day2 again on thursday

i also jog 2 miles in 20 mins at least once per week.
each days work out takes me 60 to 70 mins
i have been doing this routine for 2 years now with good results.

for weights i use a system called progressive overload. (this is not for everyone)

about diet:
i eat 4 meals a day. its not as hard as it sounds. breakfast, lunch, tea time and dinner
roughly at 8am, 1pm, 4 or 6pm and 10pm.

what ever you do just remember to "keep going" and do a little more ever time.
the very first time i went to the gym i couldn't even lift the empty bar with no weights!!!.

Anakir

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Awesome tip nin10do. I'll try to have a routine going as well. I have "somewhat" of an exercise happening everyday. I always run to the bus stop and back when I go to school and work LOL. But, I actually do it on purpose, not to catch the bus.

Just wondering if anyone has any feedback on the bowflex. I'm planning to purchase one soon.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :blink: