I guess you only know what you got 'till it's gone
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
TrolleyDave said:
For a long while hip-hop was the new punk. Socially conscious music with a message. Gangsta rappers came along and raped the music and left it lying in a pool of blood, guns and dead hookers. White teens lapped it up thinking it made them Crips/Bloods/Latin Kings/whatever street gang you prefer and it totally ruined the scene. Hip-hop pre-Gangsta Rap was a much different style. Even the original Gangsta Rap scene (see Ice T, Ice Cube etc) didn't glorify it, it just told stories.

Damn, nice story you quoted there, and the best thing about it, is that it's true.
Altough a year ago I was a bit like Mattpuc. But then I came accross some good artists and good songs. And my love for and passion for Hiphop is still growing.
smile.gif

Blastoise

Trophies
XP
Country
Sanderino said:
TrolleyDave said:
For a long while hip-hop was the new punk. Socially conscious music with a message. Gangsta rappers came along and raped the music and left it lying in a pool of blood, guns and dead hookers. White teens lapped it up thinking it made them Crips/Bloods/Latin Kings/whatever street gang you prefer and it totally ruined the scene. Hip-hop pre-Gangsta Rap was a much different style. Even the original Gangsta Rap scene (see Ice T, Ice Cube etc) didn't glorify it, it just told stories.

Damn, nice story you quoted there, and the best thing about it, is that it's true.
Altough a year ago I was a bit like Mattpuc. But then I came accross some good artists and good songs. And my love for and passion for Hiphop is still growing.
smile.gif

See, the opposites hapened here. When I was in primary school I used to listen to that stuff. When I picked up the guitar I was converted. My guitar teacher told me about the song Thunderstruck by AC/DC and I was converted to Rock. I eventually started listening to more and more of AC/DC and other bands until I had the entire discographies and knew every song like the back of my hand. Still, my interests in different bands is still growing.
But don't think its just hip-hop and rap I hate on, its also pop music....
dry.gif

\\m// (>

ufotrash

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ooooh! There is a little bit of debate and discussion here...I'm happy!

I'm just checking real quick to see how the thread is going, I'll be back later when I can reply to some of these in depth...

But for now, the reason I want album names too is that I am thinking of getting some of these as LPs....
but no, I don't mind just the artists either, I guess!

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
mattpucc said:
See, the opposites hapened here. When I was in primary school I used to listen to that stuff. When I picked up the guitar I was converted. My guitar teacher told me about the song Thunderstruck by AC/DC and I was converted to Rock. I eventually started listening to more and more of AC/DC and other bands until I had the entire discographies and knew every song like the back of my hand. Still, my interests in different bands is still growing.
dry.gif

\\m// (>

Sanderino

I guess you only know what you got 'till it's gone
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
ufotrash said:
Ooooh! There is a little bit of debate and discussion here...I'm happy!

Haha ! xD

QUOTE(mattpucc @ Apr 11 2010, 07:40 PM) See, the opposites hapened here. When I was in primary school I used to listen to that stuff. When I picked up the guitar I was converted. My guitar teacher told me about the song Thunderstruck by AC/DC and I was converted to Rock. I eventually started listening to more and more of AC/DC and other bands until I had the entire discographies and knew every song like the back of my hand. Still, my interests in different bands is still growing.
dry.gif

\\m// (>

Blastoise

Trophies
XP
Country
Sanderino said:
I listen to much music: Rap, Rock, HipHop, House, Dubstep so I almost like anything. xD
Why do yuo hate it actually?

Its just so samey, the lyrical meaning is always the same and the beat... its just faster or slower everytime.

BTW Im not trying to offend you guys
wink.gif

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
mattpucc said:
Sanderino said:
I listen to much music: Rap, Rock, HipHop, House, Dubstep so I almost like anything. xD
Why do yuo hate it actually?

Its just so samey, the lyrical meaning is always the same and the beat... its just faster or slower everytime.

BTW Im not trying to offend you guys
wink.gif

You're not offending us!
biggrin.gif
Have you ever listened to Spearhead?

yuyuyup

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Meaning in lyrics is so fucking moot. People SO EASILY trash rap, but look at any genre and examine the lyrics. You can find creative and elaborate rhymes and lyrics in any genre, but people are simply too lazy to dig for the good stuff (which is ALWAYS subjective.) Of course I'm sure YOUR preferred genre is strictly brilliant poetry and incredibly unique subject material, right ?

Blastoise

Trophies
XP
Country
yuyuyup said:
Meaning in lyrics is so fucking moot. People SO EASILY trash rap, but look at any genre and examine the lyrics. You can find creative and elaborate rhymes and lyrics in any genre, but people are simply too lazy to dig for the good stuff (which is ALWAYS subjective.) Of course I'm sure YOUR preferred genre is strictly brilliant poetry and incredibly unique subject material, right ?

Woah... calm down mate....

QUOTE(yuyuyup @ Apr 12 2010, 02:07 AM) Of course I'm sure YOUR preferred genre is strictly brilliant poetry and incredibly unique subject material, right ?

Of course
tongue.gif

JohnLoco

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
mattpucc said:
yuyuyup said:

QUOTE(yuyuyup @ Apr 12 2010, 02:07 AM) Of course I'm sure YOUR preferred genre is strictly brilliant poetry and incredibly unique subject material, right ?

Of course
tongue.gif

Care to share this super music?

Blastoise

Trophies
XP
Country
JohnLoco said:
mattpucc said:
yuyuyup said:

Of course
tongue.gif

Care to share this super music?

I'm only winding him up
tongue.gif
Ill admit, no genre has the most amazing lyrics of all... I just find Rap & Hip-Hop is definitely doesn't.

Twiffles

танковые победы
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Oh wow, he asked for "underground" he got a lot mainstream stuff. :x
Let me break out some artists:
1. Dumbfoundead
2. NoCanDo
3. Jay Electronica
4. Intuition
5. VerBS
6. Living Legends (Thought that's more of a group of people)

12. Drake (I guess..)
He likes to show off how he got big without a company though.

I don't know why people hate on hip-hop and rap when they listen to music where all the people do is yell or some stuff. It's obviously subjective, but usually it's like one or two people that "make it big" and ruin it for everyone. Don't get me wrong, I listen to everything anyway.

[title:Doing it WRONG]
[title:Doing it RIGHT]

ufotrash

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks Twiffles....haha, I was just about to say that earlier, too.
AAA but I'm a she, not a he!
No, but Trolley and Sanderino know what's up!! Thankss for your suggestions fellas.

------------------------------------------------

The leaked Boondocks season 3 trailer, using Jay Electronica's Exhibit C.
Listen to these lyrics and tell me hip hop is nothing but bitches and hoes.
Though, I won't lie, I like some of the "bitches and hoes hip hop" too.
But I don't feel like I have to dig too deep to find those. They are a dime a dozen.

I love this part:
They call me Jay Electronica
Fuck that.
Call me Jay ElecHannukah
Jay ElecYarmulke
Jay ElecRamadaan Muhammad Asalaamica RasoulAllah Supana Watallah through your monitor
Hehe.
bow.gif

------------------------------------------------
Anyway yeah! I like what's going on here so far...
More albums pllease! I'm essentially trying to build like...an ESSENTIALS hip-hop LP collection.
Like if I were stuck on an island with my portable turntable and only ONE crate of records.
I got a new record player and I want these guys to be listened to the right way!
rolleyes.gif

And for some of you Kanye, Kid Kudi folks...
Dip into some Wale, Wiz Khalifa, and Rhymefest.
You won't be sorry! (I think)

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
flameiguana said:
My only suggestion is Cypress Hill. Get Black Sunday

Great band, great album! Really good live as well.

@ufotrash : Here's a few albums I can recommend, a good choice would be to get compilations of "old skool" classics though to help you figure out the bands you like.

A Tribe Called Quest - People's Instinctive Travels and the Paths of Rhythm
Del La Soul - 3 Feet High And Rising, De La Soul Is Dead
Public Enemy - It Takes A Nation Of Millions, Fear Of A Black Planet, Muse Sick-N-Hour Mess Age, He Got Game
Arrested Development - 3 Years, 5 Months & 2 Days in the Life Of...
Flobots - Fight With Tools
Nas - Illmatic, Gods Son (one of the finest hip hop albums ever)
Grandmaster Flash - The Message, They Said It Couldn't Be Done
Ice T and The Rhyme Syndicate - O.G (Original Gangsta), Power
Eric B and Rakim - Paid In Full
Cypress Hill - Cypress Hill, Black Sunday
Eminem - The Slim Shady, Marshall Mathers
Sugarhill Gang - Sugarhill Gang
Run DMC - Run DMC, Raising Hell
Beastie Boys - Licensed To Ill, Ill Communication, To The Five Boroughs
Queen Latifah - All Hail The Queen
Outkast - Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik, Speakerboxxx/The Love Below
PM Dawn - Of the Heart, of the Soul and of the Cross, The Bliss Album
Spearhead - Home, Stay Human
Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy - Hypocrisy Is the Greatest Luxury, Spare Ass Annie and Other Tales

They're not really underground as such, but they're what hip-hop/rap is really about for me anyway. I'll list some more after you've listened to a few and let me know what you like from them!
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: you are a product of my imagination