Hey guys I'ma noob please help me out =]

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by DemonicJay, Nov 16, 2008.

Nov 16, 2008
  1. DemonicJay
    OP

Newcomer DemonicJay Newbie

United States
    Hey guys I recently got the R4DS downloaded a few games, extracted them, converted them, put them into there own folders so its nice and organized.

Then I popped them into my MicroSD card [I can't seem to boot up or find the MicroSD card when I use the usb port, I'm new to vista xD so basically I'm putting it through my camera slots on my tower, does it matter? I dont know but it gets the job done]

I turn on my DS and it just freezes, top screen just says Loading and the bottom is all black. Thats when I realized about how I needed firmware. So I downloaded Kernal v1.18 latest firmware, and I popped it right next to my games, not the english folder but everything in it.

I still get the same problem... I dont know what Im doing wrong. Did I skip some steps? I looked up so many tutorials and watch so many $%@ videos >.< Someone please help me out :]

Thanks greatly appreciate it.

2. TrolleyDave

Former Staff TrolleyDave Philosolosophising

United Kingdom
    Which version of the R4 do you have? This usually happens when you install the real R4 firmware on a clone card. Did you get a box with the card? There should be a website listed on it.

3. Deathmore

Member Deathmore GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Are you using a SDHC card (4gb and above)? If you are that's the problem

4. DemonicJay
    OP

United States
  5. TrolleyDave

United Kingdom
    You need to download the firmware from this site

http://www.ndslr4.com/

to get it going. Your R4DS is a clone rather than an official product.

6. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    From the pic, that's a fake R4. You can tell because of the SDHC symbol. Real R4's don't support SDHC. Be sure to get the latest firmware for that card by looking on the back of the box and going to the URL it specified. Most likely, the REAL R4 firmware won't work on it. You need to get the one specifically for that particular version of R4 clone from their site.

Also, you mentioned converting the ROM......what conversion is this? R4's generally support clean ROMs that require nothing more than an optional trimming. No "converting" is ever required, unless it's to do an ARM7 fix, which is a different story.

7. Veristical Blaze

Member Veristical Blaze GBAtemp Fan

Netherlands
    Uhhmmm, at moment there are Official R4SDHC Cards Check This Link U have to put the R4 SDHC firmware(latest is v 1.23 i think) not the R4 firmware cause internal the SDHC card is totally different then the old R4 thats why it didn't work my friend

(Edit: told a moderator off [​IMG] + it's my 100th Post in less than half a month [​IMG] )

8. DemonicJay
    OP

United States
    awesume i got the menu up and everything but its not playing any of the games, its not picking up the converted files >.< any help with tht guys?

9. TrolleyDave

United Kingdom
    Sorry but when you say "converted" files what exactly do you mean? The file should be a plain .NDS file. By converting do you mean unpacking it from a .rar or .zip file? Is the file extension of the games you're putting on the card .NDS?

10. DemonicJay
    OP

United States
    it should be plain? cuz i made it into the .sav and .dsp file, is tht nessasary?

11. Veristical Blaze

Netherlands
    U don't need to convert the DS files
    example off how to get it work on the R4(SDHC)
    1. Go to a rom site and download the game you want
    2. extract the downloaded file with Winrar or 7Zip
    3. There is your .NDS file! no need for Converting.
    (4. optional trim the game with the R4 Rom Trimmer 2.0 from the R4 Site)
    5. Copy the file in any place you like on the MicroSD
    6. Play your game!

12. Dark

Member Dark GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    You can trim your roms too. I know this is off topic but it can safe a lot of space.

13. TrolleyDave

United Kingdom
    I've never even heard of a DSP file, what is it? The games should be in .NDS format. Just unpack them from the archive you downloaded and copy them straight across, that should solve the problem. Don't worry about creating .sav files either, the card will automatically do that for you.

14. Veristical Blaze

Netherlands
    They Stopped and an other team picked the work up with: SDHC tadaadaa magic but let's stop about that and if you want to discuss about it make a topic because here it's an off topic shit

15. TrolleyDave

United Kingdom
    No, you are incorrect. There are NO, and I repeat NO, official SDHC R4s. It actually shocks me how many people believe and argue it with people who actually know better. The team that "picked up" the R4 and added SDHC support are a CLONE company. I'd make another topic about it but then the less informed might actually be inclined to believe your uninformed statement. You're the second person to argue with me in the same amount of days that the R4 SDHC is an official product.

16. Veristical Blaze

Netherlands
    Did some checking you're right my excutions [​IMG] Trolleydave and mr. Rayder

17. DemonicJay
    OP

United States
    it works!!!!!!!!!!!!! awesume guys thanks for the help [​IMG] im so happpy

18. ShAdOwFuRi

Member ShAdOwFuRi GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    despite the fact that the card may be fake, it is still very reliable. Many websites are selling the R4 SDHC version... and it has been rather successful with minimal customer complaint. From what I have read the more unreliable R4 clones come under the name of R4 deluxe, R4-II, R4-III etc etc. the R4 SDHC may not be as reliable as the original, but it still does it job very well in my opinion.

19. TrolleyDave

United Kingdom
    It also works badly enough that we have a handful of people come here every day complaning that it's stuck at the loading screen. I've also heard alot of complaints that it doesn't read cards greater than 4 gig properly.

20. mercluke

Member mercluke ‮҉

Australia
    i thought R4-II was an official version (the one where they removed the spring and the plastic that seperates the contacts)