Not open for further replies.

miketh2005

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ZAFDeltaForce said:
Vague Rant said:
I don't understand why they put the files inside other files, it just makes it more complicated for people like me who aren't huge nerds. And why call them archives? It just makes them sound boring, and I've never read any archives anyway so why would I want my games in them?
Files in these archives are compressed, meaning they are of a smaller size and therefore require a shorter time to download. Also, putting many files into just one archive file simplifies the downloading/uploading process.

I mean c'mon. Would you prefer to download 10 individual files of 5MB each or one file of 50MB?

blink.gif
Com'on! Use your head! We mean, why don't they extract all the files and just take the .nds and put it into just 1 archive, not 7.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The amount of data compressed really isn't worth the time. And if it takes someone more then 15 mins to download a 64MB file, their connection blows. On my wireless it's slow, which is why I download everything to a desktop that is hooked up to the modem cause it's faster bandwidth because the firewall isn't blocking the speed. I just wish all the people who do archive the files wouldn't rename them so that when I go to get my NDS file, I don't have to rename it, thats a pain in the arse. On a 64MB DS file you are only saving about 8MB's of downloading time which isn't much at all and can be ripped through in less then a minute on almost any network connection.

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
DSGamer64 said:
On a 64MB DS file you are only saving about 8MB's of downloading time which isn't much at all and can be ripped through in less then a minute on almost any network connection.
Not always true, Kirby Super Star Ultra was 57.5MB as a rar-archive while it's 128MB unpacked. That means that it's compressed to less than half the size of the original file.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
DSGamer64 said:
I just wish all the people who do archive the files wouldn't rename them so that when I go to get my NDS file, I don't have to rename it, thats a pain in the arse.
rolleyes.gif

Please be sarcastic please be sarcastic, please, say you were being sarcastic. Please.

hankchill

I Pwn n00bs.
Trophies
Website
www.hankchill.com
XP
Country
Canada
I'm having a hard time understanding why this thread is continuing on longer than it should;
• The OP has a .rar file
• He was told to decompress it.

Problem solved, we don't need a discussion about it
smile.gif

galneon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Definition of nerd: Someone who posts a lot on a forum of (mostly) pirating video game players who openly proclaims he is not a nerd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night