Hacking Henkaku: Close To Being Reverse Engineered

darcangel

Lovely Troll
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
By what I read, it's seens to exploit is userland only like they say.

If that's true so no CFW or VITA-Roms

ifrit05

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah if it's a Webkit Exploit (Which it is) then it's most likely a Userland Exploit only.

jimmyleen

Trophies
XP
Country
As far as I can tell having userland does not mean the vita will be fully open. Which means people should stop fucking around and open the damn thing.

ifrit05

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As far as I can tell having userland does not mean the vita will be fully open. Which means people should stop fucking around and open the damn thing.

Yeah, you usually do not have access to lower level functions most of the time with userland exploits; Kernel = think jailbreak for iOS, or gaining root access for Android/Linux (although that's almost an entirely different subject/exploits with completely different results).
Userland can allow homebrew (bypassing simple security checks) but kernel hacks can open up much more lower level functions for complete hardware control (Higher overclocking anyone? We'll see...) and backup loaders. Kernel = God/Superuser. This, mind you, is a vastly simplified example and by no means is me trying to sound versed in this topic, It's just what I've notice through the years of console modding/hacking.

For example: You use a "web browser" for exploiting some security flaw (i.e. a broken Webkit); since the web browser was in userland (has access to the filesystem, etc.), any exploit spawned from the web browser will inherit the web browser's permissions (i.e. userland). That's why it's usually the first step in hacking and gaining kernel access.

Again, oversimplification. Please feel free to correct me, it's late/early and I should be sleeping.

Last edited by ifrit05,

jimmyleen

Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah, you usually do not have access to lower level functions most of the time with userland exploits; Kernel = think jailbreak for iOS, or gaining root access for Android/Linux (although that's almost an entirely different subject/exploits with completely different results).
Userland can allow homebrew (bypassing simple security checks) but kernel hacks can open up much more lower level functions for complete hardware control (Higher overclocking anyone? We'll see...) and backup loaders. Kernel = God/Superuser. This, mind you, is a vastly simplified example and by no means is me trying to sound versed in this topic, It's just what I've notice through the years of console modding/hacking.

For example: You use a "web browser" for exploiting some security flaw (i.e. a broken Webkit); since the web browser was in userland (has access to the filesystem, etc.), any exploit spawned from the web browser will inherit the web browser's permissions (i.e. userland). That's why it's usually the first step in hacking and gaining kernel access.

Again, oversimplification. Please feel free to correct me, it's late/early and I should be sleeping.

That's all correct, I just hope the vita doesn't turn into another :shit: show like the wii u.

SYNYST3R1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
unreleased 5.5 kexploit until the leak, unreleased iosu, devs holding it above our heads but claim piracy or other excuses to not release, constant shitposts
The vita has more homebrew in like a week than the wiiu has had in months! I was glad to wipe the dust off of the both of them, but it seems my vita is the only one I continually use to try the new homebrew. Paint and pacman don't really excite me on wiiu.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Has he had seizures before?