Henkaku: Close To Being Reverse Engineered

Discussion in 'PS Vita - Hacking & Homebrew' started by Sabishinbo, Aug 3, 2016.

1. Sabishinbo
    OP

Sabishinbo GBAtemp Regular

Sep 27, 2015
    United States
  2. darcangel

darcangel Lovely Troll

Sep 12, 2009
    Brazil
    By what I read, it's seens to exploit is userland only like they say.

If that's true so no CFW or VITA-Roms

3. metroid maniac

metroid maniac An idiot with an opinion

May 16, 2009
    So, I wonder what the secret something nice is. We might be finding out rather soon.

4. ifrit05

ifrit05 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Yeah if it's a Webkit Exploit (Which it is) then it's most likely a Userland Exploit only.

5. yifan_lu

yifan_lu @yifanlu

Apr 28, 2007
    United States
    Close eh? If you say so...

Anyways once "Stage 3 (ROP payload 2)" is fully reversed, we will release the source up to that point. That should be enough for very easy offline hosting.

jimmyleen, SpaceJump, Voxel and 4 others like this.
  6. CeeDee

CeeDee Heya!

GBAtemp Patron
    CeeDee is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    May 4, 2014
    United States
    It's sad that you have to reverse-engineer a reverse-engineering tool to get it's full capabilities.

Rizzorules and jimmyleen like this.
  7. jimmyleen

jimmyleen GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 28, 2016
    As far as I can tell having userland does not mean the vita will be fully open. Which means people should stop fucking around and open the damn thing.

8. ifrit05

ifrit05 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Yeah, you usually do not have access to lower level functions most of the time with userland exploits; Kernel = think jailbreak for iOS, or gaining root access for Android/Linux (although that's almost an entirely different subject/exploits with completely different results).
    Userland can allow homebrew (bypassing simple security checks) but kernel hacks can open up much more lower level functions for complete hardware control (Higher overclocking anyone? We'll see...) and backup loaders. Kernel = God/Superuser. This, mind you, is a vastly simplified example and by no means is me trying to sound versed in this topic, It's just what I've notice through the years of console modding/hacking.

For example: You use a "web browser" for exploiting some security flaw (i.e. a broken Webkit); since the web browser was in userland (has access to the filesystem, etc.), any exploit spawned from the web browser will inherit the web browser's permissions (i.e. userland). That's why it's usually the first step in hacking and gaining kernel access.

Again, oversimplification. Please feel free to correct me, it's late/early and I should be sleeping.

Last edited by ifrit05, Aug 4, 2016
    demoncatursday and jimmyleen like this.
  9. jimmyleen

jimmyleen GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 28, 2016
    That's all correct, I just hope the vita doesn't turn into another :shit: show like the wii u.

10. ggl0l

ggl0l Member

Newcomer
    Dec 4, 2015
    Serbia, Republic of
    Moscow
    and where wii u was a shit show?

11. CeeDee

CeeDee Heya!

GBAtemp Patron
    CeeDee is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    May 4, 2014
    United States
    unreleased 5.5 kexploit until the leak, unreleased iosu, devs holding it above our heads but claim piracy or other excuses to not release, constant shitposts

guisadop likes this.
  12. SYNYST3R1

SYNYST3R1 Member

Newcomer
    Feb 10, 2013
    United States
    The vita has more homebrew in like a week than the wiiu has had in months! I was glad to wipe the dust off of the both of them, but it seems my vita is the only one I continually use to try the new homebrew. Paint and pacman don't really excite me on wiiu.

Tony_93, Gadorach and memomo like this.