Hacking Help with updating Luma - Games missing, save corrupt

KaitySakura

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm really confused about what's going on. I'm not that technically inclined, so I apologise if I'm a bit slow. I'm just going to explain everything that I did to my 3DS in case any of the details are relevant.

I heard that there was a new system update for the 3DS, so I went to update Luma (with the intent of updating the 3DS after updating Luma). I downloaded the ZIP file from GitHub and copied the boot.3dsx and boot.firm files onto the root of the SD card. It asked me if I wanted to replace the files currently on the SD card. Before proceeding, I decided to backup the old version of boot.3dsx and boot.firm files on my computer. After saving a copy of those files on my computer, I replaced them on the SD card with the new ones.
I stick the SD card into my 3DS and boot it up. It turns on and brings me to the black screen where I make a selection regarding Luma and EmuNAND. I choose the first option (boot into EmuNAND or something like that) and the 3DS turns on.
As soon as it boots up, I immediately notice that half my previously installed CIAs are missing. They were all JPN region games, and my 3DS is USA region. I panic and remove the SD card from my 3DS, and put back the old boot.3dsx and boot.firm files onto the SD card. I stick the SD card into the 3DS, and now it won't boot up properly. I panic more, and put back the new versions of the boot.3dsx and boot.firm files. It's still not booting up properly. (The power light turns on and then off immediately.) After some Googling, I press the select button and power button simultaneously, and it brings me back to that black screen where I can choose the options about emuNAND. I'm relieved and my 3DS boots up normally after I select the first option like last time.
Of course, most of my installed games are still missing. I decide to try one of the games that wasn't lost from the update - Pokemon Ultra Moon. I open it and immediately get an error about my save data. It seems to be corrupt. I stopped playing around with my 3DS after this point and went to backup the entire SD card before doing any other weird things to it.

I'm not really sure if there's anything that can be done at this point, and luckily I'm not super attached to my 3DS saves, but if anyone has a possible solution or any sort of explanation of what happened, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

fmkid

Just another GBATemp's random guy
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Are you still using an EmuNand? Why? (It's better to inject/move EmuNand on SysNand and forget headaches)

And it could be necessary to check the health of your console's SD card (it apparently would be faulty/corrupted/damaged). For that is always recommended perform the quadruple format + H2TestW analysis, but before you must backup/copy all the content of your SD card (and because you used a EmuNand, then you must made an EmuNand backup too) to a PC or another storage external device.

KaitySakura

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ah, I didn't think about the SD card being faulty. That would make a lot of sense! I'll definitely look into that, because Luma is not booting up again after I finished copying all the files onto my external hard drive.
I'm not really sure about the whole EmuNAND thing to be honest. I'm just referring to the black screen that showed up when I copied the new files over - the first option was, "Autoboot EmuNAND." I don't recall setting up an EmuNAND or anything. When I first installed Luma, I just followed the 3DS Hacks Guide and used Soundhax (I was on ver 9 or something back then, because I was using Gateway flashcart.)

Thank you for your response! :)

fmkid

Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Ah, I didn't think about the SD card being faulty. That would make a lot of sense! I'll definitely look into that, because Luma is not booting up again after I finished copying all the files onto my external hard drive.
I'm not really sure about the whole EmuNAND thing to be honest. I'm just referring to the black screen that showed up when I copied the new files over - the first option was, "Autoboot EmuNAND." I don't recall setting up an EmuNAND or anything. When I first installed Luma, I just followed the 3DS Hacks Guide and used Soundhax (I was on ver 9 or something back then, because I was using Gateway flashcart.)

Thank you for your response! :)
Oh, ok... You are an old GW flashcard user, then EmuNand comes from that.

Anyway it would be better that you try to inject/move your EmuNand to SysNand (you need at least access to GodMode9). But, with your apparently faulty SD card that could be a quite difficult.

Last edited by fmkid,

KaitySakura

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Do you think it would it help if I reformat my SD card and then copy the files back onto it afterwards?
I don't have a spare SD card lying around at the moment.
Thanks for your help!

fmkid

Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Do you think it would it help if I reformat my SD card and then copy the files back onto it afterwards?
I don't have a spare SD card lying around at the moment.
Thanks for your help!
But still you have to backup your EmuNand. If you just proceed with the SD formatting, then EmuNand could be deleted.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-