Hacking Help with priiloader, hacking old wii

Razielim

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi everyone,

I just got a new Wii. Well, I say "new", but it's an old model. Came with 3.4 on it.

To explain what I've done, I've installed bootmii to boot2, HBC, and took a NAND backup. Then I had the problem that MMM would"t load from boot, so I downloaded an SD package that did, installed the IOSes and WADs it included. It also included some channels like USBLoader GX and Neogamma, but USBLoader crashes on boot and Neogamma refuses to read my (legal, I used to own a Wii years ago before I moved) Mario Kart DVD-R backup: the game loads but the disk drive seems to struggle. If I remove the disk, the game has clearly loaded because it asks for the MK disk in their font and style.

I also enabled Priiloader, but it found no hacks for my system version (v237 I think at that time), so I updated the system menu to 4.1 via MMM (I searched around to see if this was safe, but found no clear answers). Now Priiloader has hacks for my system (e.g. disable updates), but now my Wii boots to MMM on start and I cannot get to the system menu. I'm afraid that booting the system menu any other way will not enable Priiloader, but I'm not sure. Apparently Priiloader is supposed to include an auto boot option, but I must have been to every MMM menu without finding it.

It's difficult because a lot of the information I've found hasn't been quite explicit on what an IOS is, why I need one, and how I manage the different versions being pushed on me by different guides and tutorials . The same goes for WADs and cIOSes. Why do I need them? What is the difference between them, and again, how do I make sure I have the correct version? For example, USBLoader GX channel crashes on start for me - is it because I do not have the required cIOS? How would I tell? If I download and install the latest version from their site, will I have to manually update the cIOS? And how?

Can anyone help me with this? I'm a programmer, so I can provide technical info, and I can follow instructions if someone can point me in the right direction. The guides I've found seem to be starting in the middle of the book, and it's easy to get lost.

- What do I do about the MMM/Priiloader auto boot? How do I boot the system menu with Priiloader on?
- Mario Kart DVD-R backup with Neogamma R9: Any ideas? I also installed DARKCORP, and the disk is recognised by the disc channel, but loading goes through the same hiccups. It may be a media issue, but I'm having a hard time formatting WBFS with a Mac so USB is difficult. Is there perhaps an ISO stripper to shrink the image under the 4GB FAT limit?
- USBLoader GX : How do update/check cIOS?
- IOS/WAD/CIOS: Can anyone tell me how they're different and how I make sure I have the required version for a specific...what? homebrew app? game? what depends on these things?

Thank you all so much. I've been reading this forum for a while, and it's all been helpful to get me where I am so far (at least I have a NAND backup and maybe Priiloader if it works).

guinness

Trophies
XP
Country
Use ModMii which is stickied at the top of this forum. Run it in Windows, and answer all the questions, telling it you are modding a virgin Wii. If, as you say, you can follow instructions, then all you have to do is copy the files ModMii downloads onto your SD card and follow the guide that ModMii produces based on your answers.

edit: beaten to it, still, couldn't be simpler and good to see we'e reading from the same hymn book.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: i think im a bad person