Hacking Help with neek2o emunand!

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Again, NEEK doesn't use a cIOS. It doesn't even need any specific IOS installed other than BootMii.

NEEK requires:
FAT32/MBR - Probably the first partition and possibly not 4K drives.
A copy of a NAND filesystem.
BootMii IOS

Old Crediar SNEEK requires:
NAND dump located in /nand/

neek2o requires:
NAND dump located in /nands/<whatever>/

mojo-hand

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Again, NEEK doesn't use a cIOS. It doesn't even need any specific IOS installed other than BootMii.

NEEK requires:
FAT32/MBR - Probably the first partition and possibly not 4K drives.
A copy of a NAND filesystem.
BootMii IOS

Old Crediar SNEEK requires:
NAND dump located in /nand/

neek2o requires:
NAND dump located in /nands/<whatever>/

Well that's good news because I didn't want to go and mess about with those.
Theoretically then everything should be working with my drive.
Everything is setup and formatted properly (MBR, Fat32, 32kb clusters, primary partition, set as Active).
The only thing I can figure is it could be an issue with 4k sector drives.

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How would I go about trying this? I have a backup of my realnand a keys.bin and nand.bin file. Would I place these into the nands folder?

The easiest way to do it is use USB Loader GX. In the Features settings there is an option at the bottom to dump the nand to a folder. You can set the NAND channel path in the Custom Paths settings. I just made a folder "/nands/original/" and used the loader to dump it there.

WiiFlow has a feature to do it, too, but I can't remember where in the settings it is exactly.

mojo-hand

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The easiest way to do it is use USB Loader GX. In the Features settings there is an option at the bottom to dump the nand to a folder. You can set the NAND channel path in the Custom Paths settings. I just made a folder "/nands/original/" and used the loader to dump it there.

Ok, I tried but met with the same results once again, sticking at the "Reloading bootmii IOS!".
I think I've had enough messing about with this for now, haha. I've come to the conclusion that my HDD is not compatible.
Much thanks for all the help though!

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
@GreyWolf :

Crediar's Neek require the NAND to be on the root of the first partition.
it doesn't work with subfolder, so you can't put it inside "/nand/" folder.
it works with MBR, primary, FAT32. I don't know if 64k/cluster is working, the best is always 32k/cluster.

Neek2o added support for subfolders and 4k drives. (and "other size", it's not just 512 and 4096, there are other existing sector size, but probably rarer).
It still require to be on the first primary (mbr) FAT32 partition.

Mojo : are you sure you don't have any hidden partition on your drive before the partition you use for the wii ?

mojo-hand

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mojo : are you sure you don't have any hidden partition on your drive before the partition you use for the wii ?
I checked disk management under windows and it shows my disk as having a single healthy active primary partition formatted as fat 32.
To double check I ran diskpart from the command prompt with this result:
DISKPART> list partition
Partition ### Type Size Offset
------------- ---------------- ------- -------
Partition 1 Primary 1862 GB 31 KB

Previously when setting up this disk I also ran diskpart> clean on this drive deleting any and all previous partitions.

Last edited by mojo-hand,

Corredor

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I have checked my drives (cmd: fsutil fsinfo sectorInfo driveletter) which work with neek2o. All of them are 512 bytes/sector (physical). My drive (M3 Samsung) which doesn't work is 4096 bytes/sector (physical). So, I think it is a 4k drive issue.

Reactions: Cyan

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
I've just had the same problem when I got a new 32gb drive and i thought I messed my Wii settings or I messed my emunand backup.

But the problem is 16gb is the biggest amount of drive neek2o works with. Or what I can figure.

Or what am I doing wrong?

Last edited by Flame,

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've just had the same problem when I got a new 32gb drive and i thought I missed my Wii settings or I mess my emunand backup.

But the problem is 16gb is the biggest amount of drive neek2o works with. Or what I can figure.

No. I have a 500GB HDD and it works fine with it.

Corredor

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I've just had the same problem when I got a new 32gb drive and i thought I missed my Wii settings or I mess my emunand backup.

If you use Windows, run fsutil (fsutil fsinfo sectorInfo driveletter, where driveletter is your drive letter, like "f:" or "i:") through command prompt. Post the results of both drives.

GreyWolf said:
No. I have a 500GB HDD and it works fine with it.

How many bytes per sector (physical) does have your 500GB?

I am curious about this problem, because I have seen some similar reports on the internet.

mojo-hand

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have checked my drives (cmd: fsutil fsinfo sectorInfo driveletter) which work with neek2o. All of them are 512 bytes/sector (physical). My drive (M3 Samsung) which doesn't work is 4096 bytes/sector (physical). So, I think it is a 4k drive issue.

I can confirm the same, my drive that isn't working is also 4096 bytes per physical sector. So it seems likely that this is the culprit for the issues we are experiencing.

Reactions: Corredor

freie_spiele

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Kinda stupid, but I'm really curious about this one.

Do you have BootMii and start the Homebrew Channel directly from there?

For some reason, I don't understand, my Neek2o goes apeshit (similar to yours) when I do that, but when I boot the normal Wii Menu first and go to the Homebrew channel from there, everything is fine.

Last edited by freie_spiele,

Corredor

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Kinda stupid, but I'm really curious about this one.

Do you have BootMii and start the Homebrew Channel directly from there?

For some reason, I don't understand, my Neek2o goes apeshit (similar to yours) when I do that, but when I boot the normal Wii Menu first and go to the Homebrew channel from there, everything is fine.

Yes, I have Bootmii as boot2. How do you access neek2o through Homebrew Channel? Why don't you use neek2o channel from System Menu or start it directly from Bootmii?

freie_spiele

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Idk, it's weird, but here is exactly how I can start Neek2o and how not:

Bootmii -> Wii System Menu -> Homebrew Channel -> Wiiflow -> start game with Neek2o = WORKS!
Bootmii -> Homebrew Channel ->nSwitch -> Emu Wii System Menu -> game = WORKS!
Bootmii -> Homebrew Channel -> Wiiflow -> start game with Neek2o = DOESN'T WORK!
Bootmii -> Wii System Menu -> Homebrew Channel -> nSwitch... = DOESN'T WORK!

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Idk, it's weird, but here is exactly how I can start Neek2o and how not:

Bootmii -> Wii System Menu -> Homebrew Channel -> Wiiflow -> start game with Neek2o = WORKS!
Bootmii -> Homebrew Channel ->nSwitch -> Emu Wii System Menu -> game = WORKS!
Bootmii -> Homebrew Channel -> Wiiflow -> start game with Neek2o = DOESN'T WORK!
Bootmii -> Wii System Menu -> Homebrew Channel -> nSwitch... = DOESN'T WORK!

Where is your NAND dump? Neek2o expects them as /nands/<nandfolder>/

Original Neek only supported one dump in "/nand/". neek2o r96 seems to work fine with /nand/ on USB but not on SD.

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My homebrew channel is on the SD and the NAND on usb.

You need to use UNEEK and put the resulting SNEEK folder on the USB. If you want to boot it using BootMii the "bootmiineek" folder has to go on SD as "bootmii".

nSwitch has the armboot.bin file embedded in it. Launching BootMii to get to NEEK mode requires that file be in "SD:/bootmii/".

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn