Help WIth Bricked Wii

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by cdreams, May 13, 2009.

May 13, 2009

Help WIth Bricked Wii by cdreams at 1:10 AM (2,048 Views / 0 Likes) 20 replies

1. cdreams
    OP

Member cdreams GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    Hey everyone. Looking for some advice here.

I'm on system 3.2U, have a USA Wii and Starfall installed. It was set to region free but I think somehow it's reset. Today I was testing a channel wad I am working on and it's managed to brick my Wii. Here is my symptoms.

When I boot the Wii it loads up but all I get is a black screen. I have tried with pressing the Y button and it will come up with 3.2U in the bottom right hand corner. I have tested inserting a NTSC game as my Wii is USA version, and it will load up and play, but I can't get back to the system menu from the game, it just loads to a black screen. I tried two PAL games to see if they would load but they don't, they begin and then just stop spinning.

I have tried about 6 discs burned with USA system menu and an autoboot Wad Manager but neither will get past that initial load and just stop. I have also tried with boot.dol for my wad manager on my SD and nothing happens, tried using the reset the 4 direction trick and none will get past that 3.2U. The only way I can get past it is with a NTSC game. However I only have Wii Sports so I don't have nay with a Wii update on it and even then won't Starfall block the update as I had that set too.

I have searched and been trying to get assistance from Oops and nothing we have tried has worked.

Any help would be appreciated. Am I screwed or can I find a way to get the Wad removed or Wad Manager loaded?

2. steve-p

Member steve-p GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    there is an iso floating around this forum with bootable wad-manager on it.
    i dont know which ios it uses though.

3. ineedhelpbad

Newcomer ineedhelpbad Advanced Member

United States
    Do you still have the twilght hack installed?

4. wii-tom

Newcomer wii-tom Newbie

United States
    yup twilight and preloader have gotten me out of a few jams... try booting Zelda again

5. cdreams
    OP

United Kingdom
    I can't, that is the problem. The Zelda I have is PAL, so it just won't get past the initial loading. That was one of the PAL games I tried. I think I have my Zelda hack still installed, I think I left it there just in case, however I can't confirm as I can't get in to check it.

I had a wad manager iso and tried it but it did the same thing, it just stopped after the initial load, you can hear it starting to boot then it just stops.

6. G2K

Member G2K GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Have you tried the pinkfish disc? It's most likely a last resort, but if it needs to be...

7. cdreams
    OP

United Kingdom
    What is the pinkfish disc and where do I get it?

8. zidane_genome

Member zidane_genome My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?

United States
    Do you have a mod chip installed, or are you willing to buy one?

That's about the only way I see of you fixing your Wii... since your country is set to UK here, that would mean even if you went out and rented Zelda, it would be PAL... so unless you get a mod chip, and download an NTSC Zelda, your only other hope is that someone lend you a copy of it NTSC-U...

9. cdreams
    OP

United Kingdom
    Well I have a PAL copy, but I can buy a USA copy, I would just prefer not to.

I'm able to boot into NTSC games so I am gonna try burning a copy of Mario Kart and see if it can load and do the update from there.

Hoping that works, otherwise I will have to get the NTSC Zelda or modchip or wait for Bootmii.

10. G2K

Canada
    Pinkfish is the name of the official disc used at Nintendo repair shops. You'll have to Google it. I know it's possible to back up save data and Miis, as well as your VC "account", but I don't know if it's to an SD card or not. After you back every thing up you basically wipe your Wii.

11. jarock

Member jarock GBAtemp Fan

Ireland

YYou can get Pink fish here
    Link removed

Login: Nintendo
    Pass: XBOXPS2

Pink Fish is an Official Wii Backup Disk, You might need a Savemii and or a Modchip tho. Depending if you have cioSCORP installed or not.
    I take it you don't have Preloader installed?

12. Jizmo09

Member Jizmo09 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Did you have CIOSCORP installed to be able to boot backups from recovery mode? If you did then one of the utility disks by Kitt might be able to help you. I have ISO's of Autoboot Wad Manager, Any Region Changer and Homebrew Channel discs that he made. Those will boot if you have CIOSCORP installed. I also have versions of them that i dragged onto IOSPatcher to make them IOS249 bootable, although I haven't tested those.

It's at this point where CIOSCORP can bail you out.

EDIT: I'll go ahead and upload them to a file share in case you need them....

13. cdreams
    OP

United Kingdom
    Ok cheers guys for the help, appreciated.

I don't have cioscorp or modchip installed. Going to try the pinkfish disc and see what that does. Otherwise I will need a legit game with an update or failing that a modchip.

God dam brick [​IMG]

14. BlindDude

Member BlindDude GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Your not going to get a burned game to boot without a modchip is what I am hearing.

You need to spend the money on either zelda or a mod chip,, or send it to ninty.. Right?

15. cdreams
    OP

United Kingdom
    Gonna check this Pinkfish disc first, if not then any game with an update is my next task or Zelda. If that fails then Modchip or Savemii, or pray that Bootmii is released tomorrow [​IMG]

16. junker_man32

Banned junker_man32 Banned

United States
    it has a bunch of illegal wads, you better change the link BOY! ADMIN, MOD!!!

17. G2K

Canada
    How would you install BootMii if you can't get to the menu?

18. nabster92

Member nabster92 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Wait if you bricked from installing a bad wad wouldn't that be a banner brick? How would updating fix that? Aren't you supposed to fix that by deleting the bad wad?

19. afif95

Member afif95 I own a bungalow on Mars, and booked 4 corner lots

Malaysia
    And next time, install Preloader. Easier to recover from bricks that way [​IMG]

20. Vidboy10

Member Vidboy10 Tsardom

Canada
    All ways install preloader mate.
    just incase if it fucks up your wii.