Hardware Help with a USB 2.0 Device. Partition issues

petethepug

PUG
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Awhile back I got a USB Hard Drive, and I have been thinking to change the partition from "basic", to "dynamic" the only problem is when I try to change it from a basic to a dynamic I get an issue "the operation is not supported by the object." I did my research first and I was looking into the issue myself so far people have claimed it may be the USB Device it's self, or it's a problem with the External Hard Drive.

Some people have said volume could fix this issue but I did not understand how it would have worked...

I still believe there may be a way to actually change it to dynamic but it seems I would need a Windows XP PC?

Help appreciated on the issue...

0x40

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
USB disks won't work with ldm. According to Technet:
Dynamic disks are not supported on portable computers, removable disks, detachable disks that use Universal Serial Bus (USB)
Try mdadm instead.

0x40

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just checking in here. So it is possible correct? And if so how would I configure the USB on mdadm? Does it use the same method of Windows?
I don't think there's a way to do that in Windows. You'd have to set it up in a vm, share the USB disk to the vm, and share the md dir back to Windows.

petethepug

PUG
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think there's a way to do that in Windows. You'd have to set it up in a vm, share the USB disk to the vm, and share the md dir back to Windows.

There is actually. There's an option to switch between basic, and dynamic through windows using the command method, or through Computer Management. Well it sounds like it is technically possible but you would need to share something on the Hard Drive in order to do it. I am still intrested in learning how but it's likely not possible... Is any other PC capable of doing it? (And by that switching a basic partition to dynamic?) Also is it possible to just make a new volume all together and just replace the original in Management? (So replace the partition by making a new volume, then delete the old one to make the dynamic the first partition?)

Last edited by petethepug,

0x40

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is actually. There's an option to switch between basic, and dynamic through windows using the command method, or through Computer Management. Well it sounds like it is technically possible but you would need to share something on the Hard Drive in order to do it. I am still intrested in learning how but it's likely not possible... Is any other PC capable of doing it? (And by that switching a basic partition to dynamic?) Also is it possible to just make a new volume all together and just replace the original in Management? (So replace the partition by making a new volume, then delete the old one to make the dynamic the first partition?)
There's no way to use a USB disk as a dynamic ldm disk. You have to use something other than ldm, or somehow trick it into thinking it's not a USB disk.

Reactions: petethepug

petethepug

PUG
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's no way to use a USB disk as a dynamic ldm disk. You have to use something other than ldm, or somehow trick it into thinking it's not a USB disk.

I was researching some more, and found out there is a way to trick Windows into thinking that a USB Device (removable one like an External Hard Drive.) Is a built in device, or not removable. The Compatibillity of the "hack" is decent, and the success rate is pretty moderate/high for changing what partition it uses (whether it's a basic, or logical, that type of thing.) Then once your done you can switch it back to a regular USB Device.

I'm going to try looking into it some more eventually, but for now until I get everything set up I won't be doing it.

petethepug

PUG
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@0x40 after realizing the hard drive was "basic", it was primary actually. The type of disk it was it was already primary, but in windows it displayed it as a basic hard drive.
Its a confusing subject for me but I'm guessing by default Windows loads the hard drive as "basic" (Main Hard Drive Functions?) Where as the type was Primary.

Anyways not really going to get into that until I work out how to fix the main issue. Which is now finding a FAT32 Formatter that can format the device to a 64k Cluster, or 32k. I tried using Vertabrim's Installer but it didn't really work out since it doesn't offer me to change how much memory is allocated, :wacko:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lmao that sold out fast