Help Updating CFW and NATIVE_FIRM

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Kyouken, Nov 18, 2016.

1. Kyouken
    OP

Kyouken Repairer of the Breach

Oct 31, 2015
    United States
    GBATemp
    It's been a while since I've really delved into the 3DS hacking scene, and while I try to keep up-to-date on what's what, I haven't been able to find a concrete answer about this.

Where do I go about getting any NATIVE_FIRM for use with custom firmware? Is that something I need to get from Ninty's servers with 3DNUS, or do I need to search around for the exact file?

My plan is to get that to use with the CFW I have now, CakesFW. Swapdoodle decided not to work and I assume that's because I don't have the latest NATIVE_FIRM with CakesFW loaded despite that my N3DS is on 11.2.

2. Kyouken
    OP

Oct 31, 2015
    United States
    GBATemp
    Bumping this since it's been about a day and no responses yet...

3. xtheman

xtheman GBAtemp Guru

Jan 28, 2016
    United States
  4. Kyouken
    OP

Oct 31, 2015
    United States
    GBATemp
    Thank you for your response; though since my understanding of the whole NATIVE_FIRM thing was wrong and that CFW uses the installed one, what's up with Swapdoodle? It doesn't get past the Nintendo 3DS logo. Isn't that because it needs a newer NATIVE_FIRM to run? Or is my understanding wrong there as well?

I'm using CakesFW, by the way, and since it's still active, I'd like not to move to Luma3DS.

5. xtheman

xtheman GBAtemp Guru

Jan 28, 2016
    United States
    http://gbatemp.net/threads/faq-what-cfw-is-best-for-me.428509/#dormant Cakes is not active like it use too.
    Swapdoodle likely needs an updated firm. I told you about a9lh + luma because you stated you want to get up to date. Luma + a9lh is a great setup for most and if you want more the a9lh + Corbenik is best.

Kyouken likes this.
  6. Kyouken
    OP

Oct 31, 2015
    United States
    GBATemp
    Ah, I was afraid of that... I suppose I'll make the switch to Corbenik, at least. I won't have to worry about updating my NATIVE_FIRM file with that I guess. Thank you again. That will do it.

7. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ I drool on my knife

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    You can use the 11.0 NATIVE_FIRM on CakesFW. I was able to find mine on that iso site.

8. Kyouken
    OP

Oct 31, 2015
    United States
    GBATemp
    I didn't realize that. That will give me some time before I make the switch, then. Thank you.

9. Lilith Valentine

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    I do suggest if you are using A9LH to switch to Corbenik instead of Luma3DS. Corbenik is a CakesFW inspired CFW that runs very much like CakesFW.

10. Kyouken
    OP

Oct 31, 2015
    United States
    GBATemp
    I remember reading so in the thread you had made, and after xtheman166 mentioned that it (and Luma if I understood correctly) uses the sysNAND version's NATIVE_FIRM, that seems like the best idea for me. Is there a thread for all the different bytecode patches that exist/have been made for it?

11. Lilith Valentine

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Luma3DS does use the NATIVE_FIRM of the sysNAND, meaning it's basically always up to date with the NATIVE_FIRM.
    All of the bytecode for Corbenik are included with the main download.
    http://gbatemp.net/threads/corbenik-another-cfw-for-advanced-users-with-bytecode-patches.429612/
    But there is a nightly build with more up to date patches
    https://github.com/chaoskagami/skeith

Kyouken likes this.
  12. Kyouken
    OP

Oct 31, 2015
    United States
    GBATemp
    Grah, keelhaul it all; looks like Swapdoodle requires the latest NATIVE_FIRM. Thanks the for the links - I will check them out. I appreciate all of your help!

13. victorstk

victorstk Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 22, 2011
    Brazil

I'm using Cakes CFW too and if i update to this new CFW this means losing all of my games and saves right?

and for installation do i need to remove the Cakes CFW or can i install Luma and A9LH over it?

14. xtheman

xtheman GBAtemp Guru

Jan 28, 2016
    United States
    You never lose anything when updating CFW. You install a9lh over it.

15. victorstk

victorstk Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 22, 2011
    Brazil
    great!
    i just need to follow the guide you posted then?

16. xtheman

xtheman GBAtemp Guru

Jan 28, 2016
    United States
    Yes you would just follow the first thing I linked and you will get A9LH + Luma3ds setup