Hacking [Help] System Update Failed: How to revive modded XBox?

Andrew222

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Singapore
Ok, so I have this old XBox 360 lying around the house and I tried plugging it back in.
Starting it up, I instantly get an error code saying
Can't update your console. Please visit <xbox support page>.

Status Code: 3080 - 3F4A - B800 - 0401 - C000 - 0058

From what I recall, the XBox was modded for playing "backups" but it was done by some service my father found on his work trip, so going back is out of the question.
It also seems that the XBox is a Trinity version, from what the PSU shows.

So I'm not sure what other info would be useful for you guys, but I hope you can help.
That said, I'm kinda curious to know what I'd be able to get out of this, and also how much effort this would take.
I'm kinda doing this just out of interest of tinkering and stuff, but I'm rather inexperienced in this kind of thing.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
from what I remember, 13599 is the update that reverts cfw dvd drives back to stock. I don't think you have to revert it back as it's done automatically. don't know what could be wrong with that system unless something disastrous happened while it was updating.

Reactions: scroeffie1984

Andrew222

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Singapore
Okay, how would I
a) revert the drive to stock
b) find and backup the drive key

I've done a lot of reading online, though it's all quite confusing
and it seems as though I would have to open up the Xbox, is that right?

Any other pointers for me to look out for?

EDIT: I'm assuming the drive is referring to the optical drive and not the hard drive?
or am I mistaken

Last edited by Andrew222,

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, how would I
a) revert the drive to stock
b) find and backup the drive key

I've done a lot of reading online, though it's all quite confusing
and it seems as though I would have to open up the Xbox, is that right?

Any other pointers for me to look out for?

yes, you'd have to open up the system to hook the drive up. backing up the key depends on model. some are easier to do than others, so look in jungle flasher. you can at least see make by looking at the color of the wires when you remove the faceplate.

Andrew222

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Singapore
yes, you'd have to open up the system to hook the drive up. backing up the key depends on model. some are easier to do than others, so look in jungle flasher. you can at least see make by looking at the color of the wires when you remove the faceplate.

From the wires, I see that it's a Samsung drive
I'll fully open it up once I get my screwdrivers delivered but in the meantime, thanks for the help!!

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you'll need torx (not security) to open the system. I can't remember the gauge, but the rf boad on the phat 360s uses a different gauge than the motherboard section. you need two gauges from what I remember, but it's real easy. look on ebay for the right stuff. I don't know about opening a slim as I've never owned one.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Lol, Old Xenon.

But yeh, open up the console and use Jungleflasher to flash a stock pre-13599 FW to the drive.
After that simply update the console and flash a CFW back to the drive.

Edit: if your drive is unlocked then you can do it, otherwise you'll ned chip drilling or a Sputnik to get write access.

Reactions: Andrew222

Andrew222

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Singapore
Yep, I got an iFixit tab open to help me with opening up the darn thing.
Microsoft's made it reeeaaal hard to open up with all the plastic tabs

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yep, I got an iFixit tab open to help me with opening up the darn thing.
Microsoft's made it reeeaaal hard to open up with all the plastic tabs

yeah, it was difficult my first time, but now it's easy. you can see small holes in the grill part of the system that you're supposed to pock into. the top and bottom parts of the system have this holes on their legs (if that makes sense).

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Lol, Old Xenon.

the only sku worth buying. :D

EDIT: I'm assuming the drive is referring to the optical drive and not the hard drive?
or am I mistaken

yes, you've gotta power the drive and connect it with sata. be warned though. I had four open sata connections, and jungleflasher would only read two of them.

Andrew222

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Singapore
yes, you've gotta power the drive and connect it with sata. be warned though. I had four open sata connections, and jungleflasher would only read two of them.

Right, so uh, how do I
  1. power the drive
  2. connect it to my computer
at the risk of sounding stupid.
Correct me if I'm wrong:
I only have my laptop to work with, so I'm guessing I find some SATA to USB-C adapter
as for the power supply for the drive, how do I work with that?

PS which specific variant of SATA should I look for? It looks like there's a lot of options and I feel pretty clueless here

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
all of this is explained in jungle flasher. it's been about ten+ years since I flashed a drive, so my memory is a little hazy. I was also drunk when I flashed it the first time, but I still managed to do it. I wouldn't use sata to usb. it might burn out the drive if you do. I did mine with my desktop. that desktop is still plugged in and works aside from the internet. it's ancient. the first thing I'd do is open the system, look at the model number for the drive, then consult jungle flasher. there are some crazy ways to hack the optical drive, but almost all, if not all, are hackable. I don't know about winchester drives.

you can determine make by the color of the wires if you take off the face plate, and iirc you can sometimes tell model by the shape of the disc tray when it's out. I vaguely remember something like that. it sounds like you might have a phat. 13599 is pretty old, so I don't know if slims were out yet which means no winchester.

Andrew222

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Singapore
all of this is explained in jungle flasher. it's been about ten+ years since I flashed a drive, so my memory is a little hazy. I was also drunk when I flashed it the first time, but I still managed to do it. I wouldn't use sata to usb. it might burn out the drive if you do. I did mine with my desktop. that desktop is still plugged in and works aside from the internet. it's ancient. the first thing I'd do is open the system, look at the model number for the drive, then consult jungle flasher. there are some crazy ways to hack the optical drive, but almost all, if not all, are hackable. I don't know about winchester drives.

you can determine make by the color of the wires if you take off the face plate, and iirc you can sometimes tell model by the shape of the disc tray when it's out. I vaguely remember something like that. it sounds like you might have a phat. 13599 is pretty old, so I don't know if slims were out yet which means no winchester.

Mine is definitely a slim
The wire colours tell me it is a Samsung drive

But the JungleFlasher manual doesn't seem to acknowledge the existence of samsung slims

so I'm very confused

I did some reading and I saw some things about a DVD writer?
Either way, still not sure how to access the optical drive as my only options are using my windows laptop or a mac desktop

Could you shed some light on how hooking the drive up to the computer should work?
Is it something like connecting the optical drive to your PC motherboard SATA slot? or is it something else, I'd really like to know

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yes, you connect to a sata slot. you can sometimes tell the model by the shape of the disc tray. the model should be on the dvd drive itself when you open the system though. I'd have to look at the guide regarding samsung drives. I had a hitachi. I don't know much about slims, since I've never owned one. since you have a slim, you might want to make sure you have an updated guide. the pdf is around 200 pages last time I checked. I think it was 170-something to be exact.

Andrew222

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Singapore
The version of the manual I found is for the JungleFlasher v0.1.82beta

hmm I'll look around and check the disk tray
it seems I'm not supposed to look at the wires for slims

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just looked at the jungle flasher guide. it says that slims either have hitachi or lite-on. the way to know is the disc tray like I mentioned. I'm pretty sure you can do that with phats as well.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Slims are generally hard to flash or unflashable.

You need to drill into one of the drive PCB chips if you're unlucky just to unlock write access.

I highly recommend you dump your drive firmware and get a Xkey if you're interested in XBLive and backup loading.

Andrew222

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Singapore
wow ok I opened the tray and... it looks like neither a Hitachi nor a LiteOn

so uh, looks like I very well could have a bootleg drive lol

cos I know for sure this was once hacked in some shape or form to play pirated disks so there's definitely some way to get this to work

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: *teleports behind you* "Nothing personnel, kiddo" +1