Homebrew Help recovering from corrupt SD

Javier_hdz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I just got my 2DS on cfw following the guide on 3ds.hacks.guide, all was good but after I played a game, saved and turned off the console, today I tried to boot and got a message saying that it can't find the SD, connected it to my laptop and it prompted me to format my SD.

I'm currently running a scan to check if it's possible to recover the contents of the card but in case it can't, is there a guide on what to do to reinstall the cfw?

My console boots to Nintendo desktop.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

fmkid

Just another GBATemp's random guy
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
...if it's possible to recover the contents of the card...
There is. But is quite intrincated... @TurdPooCharger knows a lot about this (perharps he can give you some advices).

...but in case it can't, is there a guide on what to do to reinstall the cfw?

Reactions: Javier_hdz
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Check if your SD card is fake, faulty, or dying.
  1. Copy everything off the SD card to a computer.
  2. Quadruple reformat.
  3. Full Write + Verify the empty card in H2testw. Do not skip.
In step 1, if Windows Explorer does not recognize the SD card, try to retrieve your folders and files with a data recovery software. I recommend EaseUS as a first pick.

Javier_hdz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Thanks for the prompt response, my scan of the card couldn't find any trace of partition or data, then I tried to format using the SD card format útil from SD card association and stated that it can't write to the card, same with a regular windows format so my card it's toast.

Since I installed cfw this Saturday I still have all files used so I'll them and follow the part of the guide that you points once I get a new card.

Thanks for your help.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Thanks for the suggestions, my card is toast, I tried several recovery programs and none can see even the partition.

The card was legit and not too old (bought it about 2 years ago) and was a SanDisk branded but I know, stuff happens.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the prompt response, my scan of the card couldn't find any trace of partition or data, then I tried to format using the SD card format útil from SD card association and stated that it can't write to the card, same with a regular windows format so my card it's toast.

Since I installed cfw this Saturday I still have all files used so I'll them and follow the part of the guide that you points once I get a new card.

Thanks for your help.
It might be too late to recover your files. You should have held off reformatting the SD card until after data recovery has been completed.

Reformatting can complicate recovery as they can permanently overwrite lost, deleted files.

Thanks for the suggestions, my card is toast, I tried several recovery programs and none can see even the partition.

The card was legit and not too old (bought it about 2 years ago) and was a SanDisk branded but I know, stuff happens.
What brand the card is labelled may not be what it actually is because of fakes.

Edit 1 - Flash storage products can fail at any time or unexpectedly. However, 2 years of daily or average usage for a standard grade SD card doesn't seem out of the norm.

Edit 2 - Is Mexico's market selections for SD cards comparable to the US? If not, do you have family or friends from America? And if so, see if someone can buy a good quality card and send it over by a letter mail.

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,

Javier_hdz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
It might be too late to recover your files. You should have held off reformatting the SD card until after data recovery has been completed.

Reformatting can complicate recovery as they can permanently overwrite lost, deleted files.

What brand the card is labelled may not be what it actually is because of fakes.

Edit 1 - Flash storage products can fail at any time or unexpectedly. However, 2 years of daily or average usage for a standard grade SD card doesn't seem out of the norm.

Edit 2 - Is Mexico's market selections for SD cards comparable to the US? If not, do you have family or friends from America? And if so, see if someone can buy a good quality card and send it over by a letter mail.

I tried first to recover the card using specialized software, I work on IT so I'm familiar with the procedure, then tried the format.

And I'm pretty sure that the card was legit cause I bought it brand new from a stablished store, and as for the market here in Mexico, it pretty similar to the US, I just need to order a new one from Amazon or the like and wait for it to arrive.

Thanks again for your help.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried first to recover the card using specialized software, I work on IT so I'm familiar with the procedure, then tried the format.

And I'm pretty sure that the card was legit cause I bought it brand new from a stablished store, and as for the market here in Mexico, it pretty similar to the US, I just need to order a new one from Amazon or the like and wait for it to arrive.

Thanks again for your help.
Make sure the replacement card is a real one; check it in H2testw before using.

Keep a back up copy of everything from the 1st SD card on the computer (for safety).

If copying everything on the 2nd SD card results in the 3DS having problems recognizing games on HOME Menu or crashing in game play, reply back for further help on how to rebuild the Nintendo 3DS folder while preserving the saves + extdata (game progress).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)