Help! R4i Gold + 3DS = Not Working?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Animan, Aug 3, 2012.

Aug 3, 2012
  1. Animan
    OP

Newcomer Animan Newbie

Bulgaria
    Okay, so here's the deal. A few weeks ago, i got a pre-owned 3DS. After that, I ordered an R4i Gold Plus 3DS flash cart from r4ids.com and got it in the mail yesterday. But, No matter how many times and what versions of the firmware and kernel I put on, the only thing I get is "An error has occured. Press and hold the POWER button to turn the system off. Please refer to the Operations manual for details.". Any idea what I can do?

2. BlackAngel5

Member BlackAngel5 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    what firmware is the 3DS?

3. eggsample

Member eggsample punahussy

Poland
    Does this R4i is deluxe or standard edition?

4. Animan
    OP

Newcomer Animan Newbie

Bulgaria
    The firmware is Ver. 4.3.0-10U. And, uhh.....about the R4i - I think it's the standard edition.

5. BlackAngel5

United States
    when u go to the 3DS home screen, is the icon narnia or dorasu?

6. Animan
    OP

Newcomer Animan Newbie

Bulgaria
    Umm.....the cartrige icon has a four leaf clover-like pic on it. Does that help?

7. BlackAngel5

United States
    oh sorry i didnt read the plus...ok, the V 1.8 is supposed to work on 3DS v 4.3, so then u need another DSL or DSi to run the update. if u dont have one, try getting it from someone else.

8. Animan
    OP

Newcomer Animan Newbie

Bulgaria
    Well, a friend of mine said that he has a (and I quote) "first generation DS". Would that work? And, is this the only way to do it? Isn't there a way to get the thing installed with just my 3DS?

9. BlackAngel5

United States
    LOL first generation DS...yes that will work. And there isn't a way, if ur 3DS was lower than a 4.3 maybe, but u unluckily have the firmware at 4.3, so u need a console that will accept the R4 without a console, aka the first generation DS. so just put the latest wood kernel and firmware onto the root card of the microSD , run the update on the DS, then it'll most probably work on ur 3DS. best of luck to u!

edit: just to make sure, since i reread ur post about how u tried different firmwares...u did try the V1.8 right? cuz thats the only one thats gonna work.

10. bowser

Member bowser Mwa ha ha ha!

India
    Nope, you'll need another DS/DS Lite.

11. Animan
    OP

Newcomer Animan Newbie

Bulgaria
    Wait. I just saw bowser's post, too. So, which is it? Will my friend's DS do the job or not? And yes, I think I tried the 1.8 firmware. But, to be honest, I don't know if I did it right. I'm still new to this whole thing and I'm completely clueless. Can you help me out?

12. BlackAngel5

United States
    i think he means not to ur friend's ds, but to urs "nope u'll need another DS/DS lite". ur friend's ds will work. http://r4ids.com/ind...d-plus-download

thats the main website that ur gonna get upgrades for firmware and help. since u have the standard edition, download the standard edition firmware v1.8 download and the kernel 2.7. then, at the very bottom of the page, itll show u how to put the firmware on the root of ur microSD card. do the same with the kernel. then, take ur friends DS and run the firmware 1.8, after it finished updating, itll work on ur 3DS

13. AudibleAdvent

Newcomer AudibleAdvent Member

Canada
    Just borrow your friends DS lite and run the update for your R4. Afterwards, pop it back into your 3DS, and voila!

14. BlackAngel5

United States
    btw i just noticed...why is this thread in the tutorials and FAQs discussion O.o. it should be in the ask discussion or at least the forums...