Gaming HELP PLEASE!!! HUGE PROBLEM!

DQScott95

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i made a partition and installed ubuntu alongside windows 7 after i installed ubuntu i loaded windows 7 and deleeted the partition with ubuntu cause i didnt want it anymore but this GRUB thing is what let me boot at startup it gave me a list of OSs to choose from but after i deleted the partition i restarted and the GRUB thing came up again but it said GRUB error (Recovery) and i cant do anything its sort of like a command prompt thing i cant even press F8 to load boot options right now i booted ubuntu from the disc and got into my windows 7 drive from there and im copying the entire root of the drive which means Windows, program files, program fies (x86) and etc. im thinking if i just do a clean install of windows 7 with the disc and copy all of the sstuff back it will just go back to normal am i right??? if not please help me

Jiggah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Pop in the Windows 7 disc and use the bootrec command to restore the Windows bootloader. You can try an automatic fix, first. If that doesn't do it, use the command prompt and do:

bootrec /fixmbr
bootrec /fixboot

DQScott95

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jiggah said:
Pop in the Windows 7 disc and use the bootrec command to restore the Windows bootloader. You can try an automatic fix, first. If that doesn't do it, use the command prompt and do:

bootrec /fixmbr
bootrec /fixboot

after i put in the windows 7 disc what do i do can you please give me step by step instructions thank you

Jiggah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Okay, put the Windows 7 disc in and restart the computer. Depending on what kind of motherboard you have, you need to figure out what button gets you to the drive selection screen (it's usually f8). Boot from the DVD and then select "repair your computer." You should then get to select the drive with Windows 7, after that you can select "startup repair" which should try to automatically repair the MBR and erase GRUB. If that doesn't work reload to the part where you can select "startup repair" and select "command prompt" then type in what I gave you before.

DQScott95

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jiggah said:
Okay, put the Windows 7 disc in and restart the computer. Depending on what kind of motherboard you have, you need to figure out what button gets you to the drive selection screen (it's usually f8). Boot from the DVD and then select "repair your computer." You should then get to select the drive with Windows 7, after that you can select "startup repair" which should try to automatically repair the MBR and erase GRUB. If that doesn't work reload to the part where you can select "startup repair" and select "command prompt" then type in what I gave you before.

Thank you sooo much this worked i booted into Windows 7...So is everything on my comp back to normal or are there like system files and settings that have been messed with because of the GRUB crap

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
There will be hidden files and stuff left behind, but you shouldn't have to worry about them.

In an interesting phenomena, when I started trying to backup files from an old computer I planned to get rid of, I found many "shadow drives" - drives that used to exist (in a previous installation of windows) but disappeared after installing a new copy of windows and repartitioning the drives. In one of them I even found and recovered some old projects I had completely forgotten about. The strange thing is that in every method I used to access the drives (locally via windows, locally via DOS, remotely via LAN or even remotely via HDD dock), every time it had a different configuration of shadow drives from different periods of its life. It made recovering lost files very fun
biggrin.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Morning