Help on bricked Wii (Error: 003)

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by ShivaDagger, Apr 22, 2010.

Apr 22, 2010
  1. ShivaDagger
    OP

Newcomer ShivaDagger Member

Singapore
    I know this is my first post plus I'm really don't know much of Wii hacks (wad, bootmii, etc) so please understand, but I'm willing to learn. This might be the wrong section to ask, but I've seen other people posting some help topics here, don't mind me. I'll shift it if necessary.

I received an error: 003 after updating my Wii console (probably 4.2u) via the Wii network on 22/04/10. And I really need to recover it, please do help me if you can, and try not lecture me for updating it or not reading it up first. =/

Following are the details:

- Wii region - Unclear (I live in Singapore, bought it last year. And yes I know many said this error only occurs to Korean units)
    - Modchip (I have no idea whether a modchip exist in my console, sorry for my ignorance =/)
    - Had HomeBrew installed by DEFAULT when I bought it.
    - System Menu was at 3.3u or 3.2u before updating if I'm not mistaken.
    - 01 x Wii disk is inside and I can't eject it out.
    - No external applications were installed by me (at least), but whether the retailer installed anything, I'm not too sure, but I do know I have HomeBrew in it.
    - I'm stuck at this black screen with ERROR: 003 unauthorized device has been detected and unable to go further, yes even to the menu.

Hmm this is as much as I know, if you need more information in assisting please do let me know, I'll try my best to supply them.
    I'll also try my best to fix, so just teach me or show me the way.

P.S I've read up guides on the forums regarding this, but almost all of them includes methods that has bootmii or any 3rd party programs installed. Unfortunately I only have Homebrew that's all. Please aid me, would appreciate it ALOT.

2. beegee7730

Banned beegee7730 ITS PAAFEKUTO!

United Kingdom
    You're console is a korean region changed.
    Either buy a modchip or get a refund from the person who sold it to you.

3. ShivaDagger
    OP

Singapore
    Erm... when you mentioned korean region changed, it means my console came from korea and it's region changed to other country right?

So this modchip you talked about, like how do I go about buying it. Like what should I say when I'm in a shop. Like 'hey I need a modchip', like is there any model number or anything?

Besides the 2 solution, any other solution? =(

Thanks alot for further help

4. ShivaDagger
    OP

Singapore
    ok i read up. There's a Wasabi DX drive chip out there. Do you suggest using this? And what are the steps to take after purchasing one. If anyone don't mind, please help out =/

5. mauifrog

Member mauifrog DA KINE WiiHacker

United States
    That is a good chip. Where you able to load backups from the disk channel? or disk you use a loader via HBC?

If you where able to load backups from the disk channel, and you don't have a modchip in the wii currently, You can fix it. You would need a modchip for the fix, the wasabi dx is good.

If you were not able to play backups from the disk channel, and had to use a loader to play these via HBC, you can not fix the 003 error at this time. But you can play many game using the modchip, but the game must be ntsc-u.

6. ShivaDagger
    OP

Singapore
    Thank goodness for your reply at this late hour at my side, real life saver. Hmm sorry I don't quite catch the part on load backups from disk channel. Do you mean am I able to play games without the disc itself, just by running off the file in the Wii console? If so, no =(. I'll try my best to answer this: How I boot a game everytime, is by placing a pir***d disc in and press on the first slot, being the top left of the menu.

Hmm, I don't know whether Wasabi DX would be available in my country, but that's the best choice of drive chip I can get my hands on right?

I can't emphasize, but reeeal thanks man for the reply, was lost amidst all the tutorials and whatsoever.

7. techboy

Member techboy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Error 003 is generally considered unrepairable.

A chip alone won't fix it. He'd need at the very least to have installed Indiana Pwns before bricking it. USA Brawl does not autoboot on unmodified menus, so smashstack isn't an option.

I'd get a refund.

8. ShivaDagger
    OP

Singapore
    Refund would be my last last option =/ Cos I believe there must be some way, given here I am trying hard to find solution. Even so, a fix would appear some time later, would it? And would it be long? I have no idea about these stuff, how fast the teams crack it, or whether it's possible or not.

Oh and on I don't know whether this is important or not but, this Wii came modded, could there be a chance that the menus are modified before?

9. techboy

United States
    No one is working on a fix for this as far as I know. 003 is not at all common when compared to the number of people who brick by deleting their system menu/menu IOS or by stubbing the menu IOS.

There is no software-based fix for an already-bricked 003 wii, only a preventative for not-yet-bricked ones.

I'm assuming you didn't make any form of NAND backup with bootmii before updating it since you didn't install anything?

EDIT: Saw your edit. Updating it will delete any system menu patches, priiloader, or cIOSes it may have had installed, so no, it won't matter.

What really sucks about 003 is that Nintendo intentionally bricks Korean Consoles that are used with firmware that's not Korean.

10. ShivaDagger
    OP

Singapore
    Oh gosh... for a moment I thought I had some hope in saving it... So now not even a chip can save me? That means there's no point sending it to those private workshops anymore? =/

11. ShivaDagger
    OP

Singapore
    But hmm, he did mention getting a Wasabi DX will work IF I were able to load backups from before. But as techboy mentioned, it probably got washed away, all the stuff. Thing was I know it was modded and they told my sister, not me, not to update. Well I didn't know and went ahead and screwed up =/. I know getting a new one is a heavy price to pay for the small mistake but... I needa try to cut it down =(

12. ShivaDagger
    OP

Singapore
    Nope I don't... Doubt the guy who sold me backup-ed for me. So how do I operate a mod chip? Just plug and play as per norm? Geez... Just when I'm done downloading MH3 which I took great length to get it, time that is. =(

13. ShivaDagger
    OP

Singapore
    Hmm... ok... From all this I understand the situation is superbly bad, but I'll still cling on some life line that's about to come in near near future. Don't mind me but I read up, this Wasabi DX just have to plug and play isn't it, there's no need to strip the Wii. The only drawback I read was it's 3x read speed. And it didn't much explain how to get it working in MY situation =/

14. ShivaDagger
    OP

Singapore
    Ok... Thanks alot of all the help. I'll just hope some patch that manages to fix it will come out soon =/ Do advise me if you have more information regarding this will you, thanks aloooot =)

15. hulk691

Newcomer hulk691 Member

Singapore
    Hey Shiva, I'm from Singapore too.

Sorry to hear about your brick.
    In our country, it is very difficult to get a mod chip. You might need to get it online.
    You can read the thread here : - 003 Fix
    But I think your chances is very slim, cause you did an official update and all your ios like 249, 250, are replace
    with by a stub.

Best of luck !!!

Forgot to add....

Get this - Universal Unbrick Disc, burn it and try to boot in the recovery menu.
    I got it working on a good (WORKING) soft modded wii, I can get into the wad manager and install wads, but it
    doesn't work on a bricked korean wii i was trying to repair. Try your luck maybe it can work for you.

16. ShivaDagger
    OP

Singapore
    Yea I read up on that guide too. Amidst all this emo, found someone local lol.
    I'll just wait and see how mauifrog will advise further. Thanks man. Should I come across any more issues, I know who to look for to ask about local stuff =)

17. hulk691

Newcomer hulk691 Member

Singapore
    Oh Okay... Thanks for enlightening me and pointing out my assumption.

18. mauifrog

United States
    If you were loading your questionable games from dvd from the wii channel menu by clicking on the disk channel, just as you would a retail game, then you probably had cIOSCORP installed- if your wii is not chiped. If you had cIOSCORP installed, you can installed an autobooting chip and fix your wii.

19. techboy

United States
    If he had any semi-recent version of CORP, it wouldn't be bricked. CORP installs an IOS60 in IOS70's slot to prevent 003.

1 person likes this.
  20. mauifrog

United States
    Well he definatley does not have cios70 from cIOSCORP 3.5+. but he may have 3-3.4. It did sound like he was loading his backups from the disk channel, if he was he has a chip or cIOSCORP.