Hardware [Help] Old 3DS XL Audio Jack Damaged

Doogie Boogie

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm a little annoyed at myself. For a few months what I believed to just be my own earphones deteriorating from use was actually the audio jack for the 3DS outputting sound that would flicker back and forth between the left and right speakers. It's clear it needs to be replaced. The obvious option is to just buy a new 3DS but I'm pretty comfortable with this one. If it's as simple as putting in a replacement I'd rather do that.

The question is, how simple is it? I ask because https://www.ifixit.com/Device/Nintendo_3DS_XL doesn't seem to have any information on how to remove the audio port and the one video I found was blurry and not too helpful.

Could anyone pass any advice? Pictures would be best if possible. Thanks

6adget

GBAtemp's official atheist
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I repair electronics for a living out of my house. Most of the things I repair by far is broken charging, audio, or USB ports. Most of the time the ports are not broken, but the solder joint is. All it takes is to touch the solder joint connections with a hot soldering iron for two seconds on each one. If you don't feel comfortable doing it, then open up the 3ds and take it to a repair shop. It with be cheaper if you take it apart yourself.

Reactions: x65943

TariqSoftDev

~Zexceil
Trophies
XP
Country
Learn how to solder and because the audio jack is not a through hole solder(It's soldered on top contacts glued to the PCB) you'll have to carefully remove the solder either with a solder sucker or soldering braid, I sometimes use something thin to apple pressure between the part and PCB and remove the solder on the pads , after that part its simple as lining up a new audio jack and a couple of touches from a soldering iron.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1