Help needed installing Win XP!!!!!

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by 754boy, May 20, 2008.

May 20, 2008
  1. 754boy
    OP

Banned 754boy :D

United States
    Ok, here's my problem. For personal reasons I've decided to ditch Vista and return to XP. BUT, I have a SATA harddrive and WinXP installation doesn't detect it. I searched around the web and it turns out I need a floppy with the manufacturer's RAID drivers on it. That's where the problem comes in.

1. I don't have a floppy drive anymore.
    2. The motherboard drivers came on CD and not floppy.
    3. I refuse to go out and buy a floppy drive, even though they are cheap, for just a one time use.

So, is there anyway I could maybe use a USB device to get this shit installed??? [​IMG]

2. furbyhaterex

Newcomer furbyhaterex Advanced Member

Switzerland
  3. Raganook

Member Raganook Raganook

United States
    No, there isn't. If your Windows XP disc cannot detect the drive without the RAID drivers, then when you pop in the disc it will say "Press F6 to install 3-rd party RAID drivers"...and look in your A: drive.

Its been an eternity since I've done it though, so you can press F6 and see if it lets you explore other drives. I know on my alienware, I NEEDED a floppy

Note: It might have been F3 or some other arbitrary varient of F#

Edit: That link posted above me is incredibly intelligent. I would give it a whirl, sounds like it would work flawlessly.

4. 754boy
    OP

United States
    F6 is correct but it doesnt let you explore other drives. I'm gonna try that link and see if it works. Kinda lame that Microsoft didn't include those drivers on the installation disk anyway.

5. zidane_genome

Member zidane_genome My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?

United States
    Open your BIOS on startup... Usually like F1/F10/F11/Escape...

Find Compatibilty mode, or whatever it might be in your settings to turn SATA to ATA... reboot, enjoy the spledor of XP.

I know this works, because i'm posting on an SATA drive in XP right now... had to do that for my Compaq laptop.

If you post your make and model computer, I can be alot more specific, and tell you EXACTLY how to change to ATA mode.

6. 754boy
    OP

United States
    Thanks alot man, this worked flawlessly. Don't know why exactly but it works. Posting this from XP now lol. Thanks alot for the tip [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. juggernaut911

Member juggernaut911 GBAtemp Slut!

United States
    nlite, you can inject them in! duh