Help Needed For 4.1U Wii (Originally Korean)

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by pumpkinmaster7, Aug 18, 2019.

1. pumpkinmaster7
    OP

pumpkinmaster7 Member

Newcomer
    Oct 29, 2017
    United States
    BetweenHeaven&Hell
    Hello!
    You probably saw the title of this post and went,
    'there's still a guy who wants assistances about a Korean Wii that he bought from his retailer which was in the U.S Region'
    Well its my first time homebrewing it as of 2011 when I last played with it.
    Which basically means I have no understanding of basic concepts (kind of) such as IOS and Region Changing.
    I would like to ask help if you could help me update my region changed 4.1U Wii into a 4.3U Wii. Btw, it is already softmodded.
    I have no idea how to do this, as I don't know the sequence.
    (4.1U -> 4.1K -> 4.3K -> 4.1U) OR (other options)

If you have a link with a tutorial that we be also helpful (please don't be too harsh as its my first post!)

Before you ask me why I want to upgrade,
    1. Its because I want to use Riiconnect24 (on Wii.guide, it says firmware should be 4.3) - I'm probably incorrect
    2. Also if there's something people say you shouldn't do, it makes me want to do it even more :D

Thank You for reading this idiot's post!

2. XFlak

XFlak Wiitired but still kicking

Sep 12, 2009
    Canada
    Ontario
    Use modmii to go from 4.1u to 4.3u, it will work fine (updating via other means could lead to brick, so make sure u use ModMii)

DinohScene likes this.
  3. pumpkinmaster7
    OP

pumpkinmaster7 Member

Newcomer
    Oct 29, 2017
    United States
    BetweenHeaven&Hell
    @XFlak
    Thank You! Will try out when I get back home!

4. pumpkinmaster7
    OP

pumpkinmaster7 Member

Newcomer
    Oct 29, 2017
    United States
    BetweenHeaven&Hell
    I guess rip because I updated my wii, installed riiconnect24 without remember that this wii was a korean one.
    Thus, my wii is bricked with a 003 :D
    Edit: The Update was not performed by ModMii because when I did a Syscheck I found out that my wii was 4.3U.
    Last time I checked it was 4.1U so I don't know what happened, maybe it was because of the sys updated I tried and failed on my Wii.

Last edited by pumpkinmaster7, Aug 19, 2019
  5. MythicalData

MythicalData GBAtemp Maniac

May 11, 2017
    United States
    restore nand backup?

6. pumpkinmaster7
    OP

pumpkinmaster7 Member

Newcomer
    Oct 29, 2017
    United States
    BetweenHeaven&Hell
    If I do somehow (I don't know how) unbrick it, should I use KoreanKii to remove my Korean wii signature?
    Edit: I can't restore it because my wii won't post anything except the error message and I don't have a modchip or boot2.

Last edited by pumpkinmaster7, Aug 19, 2019
  7. XFlak

Sep 12, 2009
    Canada
    Ontario
    So you JUST did an official Nintendo update? After I said not to update using any method other than ModMii?

How could you have run a Syscheck that says you're on 4.3U, I thought the update to 4.3 is what bricked you?

Edit: all you should need to recover is a patched IOS60 to slot 80. Modmii would have done this for u had you used it and prevented this brick.

If you have a nand backup there's hope, but you would need to either buy equipment or pay someone to do the recovery who has the equipment/skills like DeadlyFoez.

Last edited by XFlak, Aug 19, 2019
    pumpkinmaster7 and MicmasH_W like this.
  8. pumpkinmaster7
    OP

pumpkinmaster7 Member

Newcomer
    Oct 29, 2017
    United States
    BetweenHeaven&Hell
    Well, I could boot the system with 4.3U because I have a syscheck.csv file that shows that my wii was 4.3U and was originally Korean.
    Thus, I believed that somehow (probably standby mode on wii) my wii updated. Until here, my wii was not bricked. However, installing Riiconnect24 patched my wiis ios 80 (used for 4.3 firmware I believe?) Well I believe there's a modchip in my wii and I could find a gc controller so I just need to burn disks if I'm not mistaken.

9. XFlak

Sep 12, 2009
    Canada
    Ontario
    If u can get into a homebrew environment using a modchip you can just reinstall the right system menu ios instead of trying to futs around with a nand backup.

Or maybe remove Korean kii? I'm not familiar with that procedure or all it's consequences

Last edited by XFlak, Aug 20, 2019
  10. pumpkinmaster7
    OP

pumpkinmaster7 Member

Newcomer
    Oct 29, 2017
    United States
    BetweenHeaven&Hell
    How would I get into a homebrew environment?
    I'm not sure if I have a modchip but I can boot burned disks because the seller I bought from
    gave me non-legitamate disks (probably iso burned).

11. jeffyTheHomebrewer

jeffyTheHomebrewer Neato Burrito!

Aug 24, 2018
    United States
    in ur orbit
    If your Wii has the gamecube ports, use a SaveMii and a disc with a homebrew app burninated on to it.

12. XFlak

Sep 12, 2009
    Canada
    Ontario
    Launch any disc/game that has an exploit built in, like super smash bros brawl for example, then execute the exploit to launch an app like mmm or yawmm to install the proper ios

13. jeffyTheHomebrewer

Aug 24, 2018
    United States
    in ur orbit
    That's even better than my idea! But won't they still need a SaveMii Dongle?

14. pumpkinmaster7
    OP

pumpkinmaster7 Member

Newcomer
    Oct 29, 2017
    United States
    BetweenHeaven&Hell
    Thanks So much guys for helping me out!
    How would I do that if I boot into SSMB? (load a .dol/.elf file from the sd card?)
    Also, can't I use SSBB NTSC-U for the smash stack exploit? Most guides that I've been to stated that PAL is needed?
    Edit: Found out that gamecube controller is broken so I'll need to find a new one...

Last edited by pumpkinmaster7, Aug 20, 2019
  15. alexander1970

alexander1970 GBAtemp allows me to be here

Nov 8, 2018
    Austria
    Austria
    To broken for making the SaveMii "Recovery do it yourself Dongle ?

Prepare GameCube Controller

If it is an official controller, it must first be unscrewed. This step may be skipped on 3rd party controllers.

Screw your GameCube Controller with the Tri-Wing Screwdriver, making sure not to misplace the screws. If you have removed all the screws, carefully remove the controller's rear panel and remove all screws from the controller's motherboard, taking care to put them back where you find them.

635px-GameCube_Controller_Rückseite_Schrauben.

When all screws are removed, you can now remove the board of the controller from the case. When removing the board, make sure that the individual rubber pads on the buttons can still stick to it.

800px-GameCube_Controller_Rückseite_abnehmen.

All you have to do now is hold the board with the connection cable in your hand - take the Pad of the D-Pad and place it on the motherboard where the D-Pad was.

691px-GameCube_Controller_-_Vorderseite_Dpad.

Run SaveMiiFrii

- Plug the controller into the fourth port on the Wii console
    - Turn on the Wii and hold all buttons of the D-pad pressed simultaneously (or on the rubber where the D-pad was)
    - The screen should remain black and (depending on the menu) show the version number of the system menu at the bottom right
    - Insert a disc with a newer version of the Wii system menu than the currently installed version and the Wii should update from the disc

16. pumpkinmaster7
    OP

pumpkinmaster7 Member

Newcomer
    Oct 29, 2017
    United States
    BetweenHeaven&Hell
    Is there a higher version disk that I can run? (Because I'm in 4.3U)
    P.S Thanks so much guys for your help but I'll need some time to order it, so please don't be too quick with your instructions.
    Sorry!

alexander1970 likes this.
  17. alexander1970

alexander1970 GBAtemp allows me to be here

Nov 8, 2018
    Austria
    Austria
    Yes,of course.Take your time and all in quiet and piece.:)
    You now have "options" to save your Wii from the Junkheap.:D

pumpkinmaster7 likes this.
  18. jeffyTheHomebrewer

Aug 24, 2018
    United States
    in ur orbit
    There is no disc that goes higher than 4.3U/J/E/K.

19. pumpkinmaster7
    OP

pumpkinmaster7 Member

Newcomer
    Oct 29, 2017
    United States
    BetweenHeaven&Hell
    Oh Ok. Well can I make SSBB NTSC-U auto bootable?
    Or should I use PAL with Mario PWNS because only PAL supports auto boot?

20. jeffyTheHomebrewer

Aug 24, 2018
    United States
    in ur orbit
    I don't know, but I think the SaveMii/modded GC ctrlr thing works with all Wii Discs.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Though, I think a burned CD-R or DVD-R could also work.

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted