ROM Hack [Help Needed] Attempting to rip models from a game called Fossil Fighters

Hammer_Jr

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have attempted to extract/rip models from the rom but the files are 'unknown' and have no extensions.

I would really appreciate the help. :)

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Have not got it in front of me but first step is check the initial hex for the DS* at the start of the file to see if it matches one of the known formats (NSBMD being a common one but not the only one). Not all detection in the likes of tinke and crystaltile2 is that accurate and extensions are not really a thing the DS pays attention to.

*for something without a file, or if the DS game decides to stuff the model in a binary/overlay then you first need to find the file/code responsible however you will.

If it is truly an unknown custom format made specifically for the game then you get to reverse engineer that. The DS is rather weak so most formats don't experience radical changes between being in the ROM and being on the screen. To that end description of the DS 3d hardware
http://problemkaputt.de/gbatek.htm#ds3dvideo
Personally I like to try to find the basic shapes first if I can in the game (sometimes you will get a nice flat cuboid made to put a texture on, spheres are used somewhat often in things too) so I can at least get some grasp of things there. Others though will follow it from the file until it lands in 3d hardware and thus know what each part does.

Reactions: Hammer_Jr

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Hey Kennyboy, have you found any decent mini Pc for around $200-250? Fast enough to play most Pc games.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'd say save another $100 anythtwith 8core upgradeable ram I'm thinking about ordering the acemagic still
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn, I haven't turn on my OG Xbox one in ages, just did now and ofcourse, 32GB update required, gonna take forever.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Edit: nevermind, I forgot I up-ed my internet speed, only 30 min remaining.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Will a mobo with a M2ssd slot work without a M2ssd installed, using a sata ssd temporary?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    As long as sata just point bios to boot to it as main drive
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Is that a compilation of you?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    M.2 is more of a luxury you can still boot from Ide if you really wanted to
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I mean as long as the motherboard still has sata ports unless you're still in celeron days
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    wut
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh it has Sata 3
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It should still have a Bootable option in bios select drive
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    whats sata?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How you were born
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Sata is the type of interface/cable connection of hard drives/disc drives for Pc.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't tell them about old bank drives may explode
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Mini pcs in the 70's
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    128kbs of storage
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do I connect this to my emachine
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The Tattooist of Auschwitz is pretty good so far