Hacking Help my bricked 3DS XL (after system update)

player0

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi I used the Hold-UP trick to install a system update but forgot I put in a new SD card that did not have the emuNAND created yet and I guess the system update ran into my base system.

Yeah I know thats stupid, now my 3DS just shows nothing, all black when I turn it on. :wtf:

What can I do to restore it back to function? It was on 4.4. I am prepared to do some soldering, I have the NAND backup from GW.

Feel free to LOL, but just dont forget to help out ;)

D

Deleted-355425

Ouch, well can someone post a link or guide to do this ad I'm interested also and what kit you need (hardware)

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
1iqev6i3vod2.jpg

you should be able to understand it from that....you can just use any port you like or just use wires directly to the adapter and remove them once your downgraded, upto you

Reactions: Criznittle

player0

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
you should be able to understand it from that....you can just use any port you like or just use wires directly to the adapter and remove them once your downgraded, upto you

Thanks gamesquest1, I tried just now but I cannot get it to work.
I soldered the 4 points on 3DSXL and used a microSD-to-SD adapter to connect to my lappy.
I got the 3DSXL powered on to blue screen, showing BOOT ROM xxxx, I guess thats half success?
But the connection to my inbuilt SD card reader was not successful, simply just nothing show up on my lappy (no popup, no drive, no unassigned drive in computer management) as if nothing is being connected.

Not sure if it is because of the inbuilt card reader? Do I need an external card reader for this job?

---------- Edited ----------
Before I go to buy an external card reader, I want to try the other connection method you provided, which is using micro USB. But my question is the pin out from 3DSXL is for SD protocol, do I directly connect to the micro USB port and connect to a USB port on my lappy? Or do I need one of those SD to USB adapter to act as a bridge between 3DSXL and my lappy? Thank you

piratesephiroth

I wish I could read
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Before I go to buy an external card reader, I want to try the other connection method you provided, which is using micro USB. But my question is the pin out from 3DSXL is for SD protocol, do I directly connect to the micro USB port and connect to a USB port on my lappy? Or do I need one of those SD to USB adapter to act as a bridge between 3DSXL and my lappy? Thank you

Connect it straight to a USB port only if you want to fry your NAND.
You must connect it to a SD card reader.

It's just that people had the awful idea of using microusb connectors for that purpose.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Why not? It's all about power values.
its not the nand is very similar to how a SD works which is why it works wired up to a SD reader, you cant just connect it to USB there would be no usb controller to interface with the nand

basically do not wire it up to USB, that was only used as a way of making the mod internalized without having wires or a SD card hanging out of the 3DS, i have to agree the whole "usb" port was a pretty bad idea, it was just a easily sourced small 4 pin connector...there are alternatives that don't have the potential for someone accidentally plugging a USB cable into them....no good would come of that

Reactions: migles

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Why not? It's all about power values.

according to what you said, i could solder my usb pen drive to router LAN port and i would have a disc on my network... a usb drive gots something inside that tells the computer its a usb drive... otherwise the computer wouldn't knew what you plugged in...

usb works through a protocol, sd cards are another protocol, an easy way to see this: how do your computer knows that the usb device you plugged is a storage unit, a bluethoot, or wlan device etc....

usb is like a pipe... you need a "converter" in both sides to work through that pipe....

player0

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks everyone for the USB warning. But still my current situation is the SD adapter card config did not work on my lappy. Sorry if I miss that, is the solution for me is to use an external SD card reader?

Another help needed is now the soldering tin does not "stick" to the CMD point on my 3DSXL anymore. I dont know why, and I did not see the metal piece come off from the motherboard. How do you hold the wire in place in a situation like this? Can I just use hot glue to glue it?

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
sounds like you ripped the pad off CMD, if the pad has gone the only other way you could do it is to solder onto the trace which is much harder.......if you hadn't ripped the pad i was going to suggest either shortening the wires or trying another SD reader (external ones work fine)...........but at this point i would say try find a professional willing to take on the job and tell them before sending that you have tried to do it yourself, as i myself cannot offer any guarantees once someone has tried themselves,

player0

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ah thank god I finally got my 3DSXL back! Thanks everyone for your help. I ended up using a SD-to-USB reader to have the job done. 2.5MB write rate was a long wait in my life.:wacko:

Reactions: gamesquest1

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    the internet
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    @Psionic Roshambo i have 16 gb in my pc and i run into issues with ram more than i'd like to admit
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    I got only 8GB of RAM. But I want 32GB.
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Time to just download more ram
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah search Google
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Or, I also heard that if you use flash memory, it can act as more "RAM" at least windows tell me when I stick a flash drive into it.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It can act as a swap drive but that isn't more RAM, it's slooow.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I wish we could have 1Gbps external storage by now
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Like for micro
  • Veho @ Veho:
    New Myoo.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, Yooo noice
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Looks like a Famicom handheld
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah, they were going for that.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not very good though.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm watching the review, the emulators it uses suck bawls.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Software update might improve it.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Or maybe someone will make like Emulation Station for it or something?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    That counts as a software update :tpi:
    +1
  • OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20:
    Ello
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I can think of the design teams process another joystick and no audio or a joystick and mono audio
  • Veho @ Veho:
    "You think we can just put the speakers at the top
    ?" "NO!"
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Pft stereo speakers you're fired
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Pft stereo speakers you're fired +1