Hacking Help me hacking my new wii

shanefromoz

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
Jun 18, 2007
Messages
1,971
Reaction score
413
Trophies
1
XP
5,017
Country
Australia
Hi All,

I have just obtained a wii which should arrive tomorrow.
I beleive the wii firmware is very low as it is one of the original wii's that first came out.
I was going to use letterbomb to install the homebrew channel is this possible if only on 4.3 or can i use it for firmwares below?
After installing that do i have to manually install 249d2x56 wad also?
I then will install dios mios v2.2 so i can run gamecube games also.
Hoping someone can lead me in the right direction.

Cheers Shane
 
If you are on firmware below 3.0, you will need to use the Twilight Hack or update to 4.3 through Nintendo and run Letterbomb. You could also get a game that has 3.X firmware on it for Bannerbomb. After that just follow ModMii. I was against it at first because I thought it was nooby, but damn is it simple.
 
it'd probably be best not to update to 4.3. I think 4.2 blocked boot2 from working. hack at a low firmware and update to 4.1. that is probably the best firmware to have. I originally hard modded my system, but when I soft modded I think I used the twilight hack. I believe I was on 3.2 or something like that. it was quite some time ago.
 
Ok so my other wii is on 4.1 and i have no issues.
So i should use the twiilight hack to upgrade to 4.1 is that correct or how do i get the wii upto 4.1?
That will install the homebrew channel correct?
How do i then get all the ios or cios upto date?
Should i install 249d2x56 also?
I will then install mios cios to run gamecube games.

Cheers
 
Is your other Wii already modded? I only ask because if not, then it is a prime candidate for modding as well before you receive the other. Follow the ModMii tut as Fudge suggested. There's no reason to update past 4.1 (iirc) as ModMii will provide you with the necessary IOS's to allow you to go online, access the Shop channel, etc. Make sure to install Priiloader as well and block disc updates as well as online ones. If you ever update to 4.3, you'll need a retail disc to trigger an exploit to redo the process. Good luck, bro! Cheers.
 
Is your other Wii already modded? I only ask because if not, then it is a prime candidate for modding as well before you receive the other. Follow the ModMii tut as Fudge suggested. There's no reason to update past 4.1 (iirc) as ModMii will provide you with the necessary IOS's to allow you to go online, access the Shop channel, etc. Make sure to install Priiloader as well and block disc updates as well as online ones. If you ever update to 4.3, you'll need a retail disc to trigger an exploit to redo the process. Good luck, bro! Cheers.
Not true you can use letterbomb
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 person
Ok so i can use modmii to get the wii upto 4.1 is that correct?
I then install priiloader and block updates.
Will modmii install 249 d2x56?
I then use a wad manager to install cios mios for gamecube games.

Cheers
 
I think 4.2 blocked boot2 from working.

No it didn't. There is no technical reason not to update to 4.3.

It makes it easier if you do, for example home brew channel will run on IOS58 by default. If you don't know what you're doing then there is also much less chance of messing it up.
You don't need the system menu updates that come with 4.3, but it won't hurt either.

If it fails doing the update to 4.3 then you can complain to nintendo & demand it fixed for free and there will be no signs of any hacks for them to complain about.

I've never installed priiloader as for me it's pointless, you can block accidental updates using parental controls. It only protects against banner bricks and if you don't install lots of untrusted wads then you'll be fine, most loaders allow you to install wads to usb and load them from there. So you only need the loader channel & if you install an official one then you have less chance of a brick than you get from installing priiloader (installing priiloader itself has a chance of a brick).

If the wii is old enough then you can install bootmii as boot2 and that offers much better brick protection, I believe you can use it to autoboot into a loader as well (which is another function of priiloader that people seem to like that I've never had a use for).
 

Site & Scene News