Hardware Help me cope with having a TN display

CrazyForCashews

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ssshhh. OP didn't need to know. Now he'll go on a frantic goose chase for the next to impossible to find N3DS with IPS. You blew it.

Back then, IPS lcd didn't gain traction until after high end laptops, cellphones, and tablets fielded them in large quantities. Nintendo doesn't get first pickings while contending with other tech brands when they were placing their orders for IPS screens. The few manufacturers that could produce IPS at the time could only do so with limited quantity until output could match & satisfy market damand.

Had Nintendo did what you and I would have liked them to with only IPS, the 3DS would have been a financial failure. In fact, I'm surprised Nintendo was able to produce any systems with IPS in the first place.

Although not a steadfast rule, the least evil thing Nintendo did do was sell most of those 3DS with IPS screens as limited editions releases. You get your moneys worth.
Hmm, interesting, good to know!

Umm, I do see a huge difference between IPS and TN, and yes I can tell right away... TN looks washed out as hell.

Exactly. The difference between TN and IPS screens are drastic and easily noticeable, I can also tell right away.

I actually ended up swapping my New 3DS XL TN panels with IPS screens and I've written my whole experience about it (with many pictures comparing TN vs IPS) but it seems like I can't post links yet since I'm a new member.

Last edited by CrazyForCashews,
Reactions: TurdPooCharger

Pluupy

_(:3」∠)_
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You clearly haven't seen the difference between a TN and an IPS display in real life. TN will look disgusting once you take a brief glace at IPS. And this is all from a 0° viewing angle.
I disagree. I own a double-TN old 3DS and double IPS new 3DS. They are the same from the front, which is how you should be holding the devices anyway. IPS only gives the advantage of less distortion from odd angles.

They are both shit in comparison to cellphone screens, so both are obnoxious to me.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Every report I've seen suggests that the TN 3DS displays are the ones with worse ghosting, and its really irritating me in 2D sidescrollers, especially with lots of black. Its the main reason I'm contemplating seeking out an IPS model.

The "scanlines" issue can be mostly fixed with dev config tool ("flicker" option) and is something TN displays can also encounter.
I've never noticed any ghosting on any 3DS model. It was pretty bad on some PSP models (why can't Sony get screens that don't suck ass?) but seems like a non-issue on the 3DS.

CrazyForCashews

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I disagree. I own a double-TN old 3DS and double IPS new 3DS. They are the same from the front, which is how you should be holding the devices anyway. IPS only gives the advantage of less distortion from odd angles.

They are both shit in comparison to cellphone screens, so both are obnoxious to me.
Incorrect.

I see many uninformed and ignorant individuals who keep repeating the same thing over and over again about the TN vs IPS differences. Specifically that you can't notice a difference when both are viewed from the front directly. This is absolutely wrong.

I did an IPS panel swap and installed dual IPS screens on my SNES New 3DS XL and compared it to my dual TN Fire Emblem New 3DS XL and the differences between the two are staggering, ESPECIALLY when both are viewed from the front, directly. I've taken many pictures comparing the two at angles AND from the front, and there are stark, immediately noticeable differences. IPS screens are much better, period.

As soon as I can post links, I shall post my album from imgur that has the comparison pictures. Prepare yourself to be blown away.

I've never noticed any ghosting on any 3DS model. It was pretty bad on some PSP models (why can't Sony get screens that don't suck ass?) but seems like a non-issue on the 3DS.
Dude have you seen dat OLED on the OG PS Vita?

Also the LCD on the PS Vita Slim is pretty darn good too. The OLED and LCD are still an order of magnitude better than the screens used on the 3DS, and they even rival the Switch IPS.

Last edited by CrazyForCashews,
Reactions: Kioku

Pluupy

_(:3」∠)_
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Incorrect.

I see many uninformed and ignorant individuals who keep repeating the same thing over and over again about the TN vs IPS differences. Specifically that you can't notice a difference when both are viewed from the front directly. This is absolutely wrong.

I did an IPS panel swap and installed dual IPS screens on my SNES New 3DS XL and compared it to my dual TN Fire Emblem New 3DS XL and the differences between the two are staggering, ESPECIALLY when both are viewed from the front, directly. I've taken many pictures comparing the two at angles AND from the front, and there are stark, immediately noticeable differences. IPS screens are much better, period.

As soon as I can post links, I shall post my album from imgur that has the comparison pictures. Prepare yourself to be blown away.
Incorrect because you think IPS DO experience distortion or incorrect because boo-fucking-hoo someone disagrees with you?

You don't need to be an asshole. Just admit that some people don't care about IPS. The technology isn't that complicated and it's bloody obvious telling which is which.

They look the same from the front. Whining about both screen types is a petty and pointless discussion. There's a reason why Nintendo doesn't give a shit about displays. Unless you're playing from an incredibly silly angle, you will not even notice the difference as the screens are pretty bright on max brightness setting anyway. It is clear due to how many 3DS owners are unaware of the display lottery problem in the first place.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Incorrect.

Dude have you seen dat OLED on the OG PS Vita?

Also the LCD on the PS Vita Slim is pretty darn good too. The OLED and LCD are still an order of magnitude better than the screens used on the 3DS, and they even rival the Switch IPS.
I don't know much about the Vita, I was only referring to the PSP.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll have to chime in for @Pluupy.

To add to the confusion, the quality of the TN panels started improving some time around late 2016, early 2017. Early batch 2015 N3DSXL had really noticeable sucky TN screens. It didn't help that there were several LCD manufacturers supplying Nintendo.

If you compare today's N3DSXL and N2DSXL TN to an IPS, the TN quality comes pretty close in color and contrast. Try comparison with the in-store kiosk N3DSXL because all of those guaranteed to have IPS.

The washout and viewing angle is noticeable if you look hard enough. Most people who become unhappy with their TN when they were happy before experience the 'black can't go back' syndrome.

CrazyForCashews

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'll have to chime in for @Pluupy.

To add to the confusion, the quality of the TN panels started improving some time around late 2016, early 2017. Early batch 2015 N3DSXL had really noticeable sucky TN screens. It didn't help that there were several LCD manufacturers supplying Nintendo.

If you compare today's N3DSXL and N2DSXL TN to an IPS, the TN quality comes pretty close in color and contrast. Try comparison with the in-store kiosk N3DSXL because all of those guaranteed to have IPS.

The washout and viewing angle is noticeable if you look hard enough. Most people who become unhappy with their TN when they were happy before experience the 'black can't go back' syndrome.
I think Nintendo did somewhat "improve" the quality of their TN panels but they still pale in comparison to the IPS screens.

For example, I had two New 3DS XL systems. One being the Fire Emblem Fates Edition New 3DS XL and the other being the SNES Edition New 3DS XL (which was the very latest and recent New 3DS XL console Nintendo released). Both consoles had TN screens except the Fire Emblem New 3DS XL which had a bottom IPS screen. Being a fan of the design (especially the matte finish) of the SNES Edition New 3DS XL, I decided to do an IPS panel swap. After ordering and receiving my top IPS panel, I did the teardown and swapped the screens. I installed the top IPS screen to my SNES New 3DS XL and I swapped the bottom IPS screen from my Fire Emblem New 3DS XL also into my SNES New 3DS XL. I ended up swapping the TN screens from the SNES New 3DS XL into the Fire Emblem New 3DS XL.

Now I had a dual IPS screen SNES Edition New 3DS XL and a dual TN Fire Emblem New 3DS XL (which had those "improved" TN screens that you were talking about, as I used the ones from the SNES New 3DS XL, and it was/still is the latest New 3DS XL system Nintendo released).

Here are comparison pictures of the two, the differences between the screens is drastic and astonishing. The TN screens still do not come close to the quality of the superior IPS screens.

Prepare to be blown away: https://imgur.com/a/vk2jP

Reactions: R4ismychildhood

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Here are comparison pictures of the two, the differences between the screens is drastic and astonishing. The TN screens still do not come close to the quality of the superior IPS screens.

Prepare to be blown away: https://imgur.com/a/vk2jP

The color looks a bit better on IPS screens. But the main feature is only good for others who are watching you play. I dont plan on playing my 3ds like that anytime soon. Those photos, really did not blow me away. Please try again.

brunocar

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Every report I've seen suggests that the TN 3DS displays are the ones with worse ghosting, and its really irritating me in 2D sidescrollers, especially with lots of black. Its the main reason I'm contemplating seeking out an IPS model.

The "scanlines" issue can be mostly fixed with dev config tool ("flicker" option) and is something TN displays can also encounter.
Old reports, the more recent TN screens have less ghosting than any other IPS screen model and have the lowest input lag

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The IPS screens also have a considerable amount of black crush. Enough detail is lost for me to be perfectly fine with my TN screens.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@CrazyForCashews, nice to show your systems side-by-side comparison. Sometimes, things need to be seen in person versus camera shots. I've already made peace with myself long ago having a TN, my N3DSXL Galaxy (f yah for that purp and stars), when compared* to kiosk models at Target, WalMart, and BestBuy.

I feel this thread is going to catch the attentions of the mods as it's cutting it really close to inflammatory region. We were suppose to help OP get over having a TN and here we're bickering about something most of do not have control over nor the finances if it matters that much.

People are going to disagree, but that doesn't mean we have to go at each other over it.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Sorry to double post.

@4ur0r, if you ever feel you need an IPS screen and are willing to risk modding your N3DS sometime down the road OR that upper screen accidentally cracks, here's a link to for upper IPS for N3DS: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Replacemen...2015-NEW-3DS/232605933768?hash=item362864e0c8

For anyone with N3DSXL who need/want upper IPS: https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Replac...15-3DS-XL-US/292017091731?hash=item43fd933493

You can also try Aliexpress if that option is better for importing to Italy/Europe.

O3DS, O2DS, N2DSXL owners; dunno, you guys might be crap out of luck. :P

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did it myself, saved money, and learned in the process.
Not everyone has the skill set and attention to detail in doing electronic tear downs. Those that do may still be reluctant swapping the lcd if it's not broken. Too much risk damaging delicate components.

Guys, I think my biggest complaint for the N3DSXL screen is that Nintendo didn't implement 144 hz framerate and freesync. Smash is unplayable because of screen tears.

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
Why do movies look so washed out on 3DS IPS screen?
My TN laptop colors looks superior to 3DS IPS.

3DS IPS compared to Laptop TN display. Both watching same video on pause on youtube Black Panther Trailer. And a Jumanji trailer.
My Macbook only has an sRGB color gamut. So it's not a wide gamut display. Just your plain ol standard gamut.
I uploaded a file comparing the two. Notice a difference? Its obvious to me. 3DS colors looks pale.

Attachments

• IMG_0365.jpg
    IMG_0365.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 403
  • IMG_0368.jpg
    IMG_0368.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 432
Reactions: TurdPooCharger

jamezfat

Trophies
Website
www.rickrolled.fr
XP
Country
United States
my biggest problem with IPS the abundance of IPS glow...

when you angle your screen, rather than getting a washed out picture; rather you get an annoying blue or yellow glow from the screen.
my n3ds has it particularly bad from extreme angles to the left.
it never interferes with game play because of how much you have to tilt to see it, but on the off chance you are looking at your 3ds from the side, i'd say its even worse than a TN display.

astrangeone

Trophies
Website
www.shophandmade.com
XP
Country
Canada
I don't believe the New 3DS (non-XL) variety ever came with IPS panels, so the disappoint should rest solely on Nintendo dropping the ball on this one.

You can try directly contacting those Aliexpress retailers for custom fabricating IPS lcds but be ready to drop your pants and spread your cheeks if you go this route.

Yes it did. I had two units - both were first run Super Mario 3D Land ones. One was preordered by me, and the other was purchased later.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • light27 @ light27:
    my bad
  • light27 @ light27:
    happy birthday
  • light27 @ light27:
    OIP.19q3E5NK_Mdn0K35CZWrWQHaJ4
    for you bro
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @light27, it's actually tommorrow but thx
  • light27 @ light27:
    oh it’s the least I could do
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    yawn
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, stop stealing my phrases
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    why
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, it's not funny
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    ok
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Wut?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's not funny
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    So two cannibals where eating a clown and one says to the other. Hey does this taste funny to you?
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What do you call a slow car? Retired
    +1
    Did you hear about the police car that someone stole the wheels off of? The police are working tirelessly to find the thieves.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A firefighter got arrested for assault his main claim was what I was told he was on fire
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What do you call a hooker with a runny nose? Full
    +1
    What do you tell a woman with two black eyes? Nothing you already told her twice!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Diddy also works
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A scientist heard the word batman so he put a naked lady in a cage with a bat
    Chuck Norris won a staring contest, with the sun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A vampires favorite thing to do is moon you
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What's the difference between an airplane, and Ken's mom? Not everyone has been in an airplane.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What's the difference between @BigOnYa and his wife? Neither both want to bone me
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: What's the difference between @BigOnYa and his wife? Neither both want to bone me