Hardware Help installing screen protector.

LinusRG

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I need some advice at installing plastic screen protectors on my new 3ds. I have tried cleaning them (obviously) and then using painting tape to remove leftover dust. This works, but dust reappears right as I am about to install the protector> Does anybody have a way I can avoid this?

Reactions: yuyuyup
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: E1ite007

LinusRG

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Tips for installing LCD panels without dust. Applies just as well for screen protectors.
Thank you, but if I am already using a thick case on my 3ds that leaves a small crack around the sides, how likely is it that dirt will f*ck up my screen when it is in my pocket or backpack?

LinusRG

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
do it in a bathroom after the shower has run for 5 mins, the steam helps get rid of air particles
I could. But now that I think about it is there really a point to having a protector on the 3ds? Like wouldn't it be protected in your pocket if the screens are closed?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I mean why not go outside and do it? You remove the dust and particulent thats inside a home.
I will try that.

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I could. But now that I think about it is there really a point to having a protector on the 3ds? Like wouldn't it be protected in your pocket if the screens are closed?
Screens get protected from normal wear and from pets if they take a liking to gaming. I got them on my 3ds's and cell phones. Id say yes, they are worth it to have.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you, but if I am already using a thick case on my 3ds that leaves a small crack around the sides, how likely is it that dirt will f*ck up my screen when it is in my pocket or backpack?
I don't understand what you mean by this. Are you saying your 3DS was involved in an accident that left a gaping hole in its shell housing, and that the body case helps cover it up?

What is preventing you from temporarily removing the body case, clean up the screens for streak+smudge+dust-free shine, and install the screen protectors in a pseudo cleanroom?

Edit - Screen protectors are cheap insurance. Scratches are no fun.

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,

LinusRG

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't understand what you mean by this. Are you saying your 3DS was involved an accident that left a gaping hole in its shell housing, and that the body case helps cover it up?

What is preventing you from temporarily removing the body case, clean up the screens for streak+smudge+dust-free shine, and install the screen protectors in a pseudo cleanroom?
I keep a case on it because I just bought it and this is my 3rd 3ds. All the others go destroyed. So I wanted to keep this one as perfect as possible, as I do not want to break my fourth console. I just had never had luck with plastic screen protectors. But I have always had a ton of luck with glass ones on my switch. I don't know why some devices seem to attract more dust than others. Anyways because the 3ds is one of those consoles i have never been successful with screen protectors. Also I can't create a cleanroom in my bathroom as my dad does not like it getting steamy as it allows mold to grow in our bathroom.

yuyuyup

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I keep a case on it because I just bought it and this is my 3rd 3ds. All the others go destroyed. So I wanted to keep this one as perfect as possible, as I do not want to break my fourth console. I just had never had luck with plastic screen protectors. But I have always had a ton of luck with glass ones on my switch. I don't know why some devices seem to attract more dust than others. Anyways because the 3ds is one of those consoles i have never been successful with screen protectors. Also I can't create a cleanroom in my bathroom as my dad does not like it getting steamy as it allows mold to grow in our bathroom.
I'm actually more wary of tight cases because if accidental spill, the case might hold IN more water than prevent (on the other hand, it might prevent water as well.)

Reactions: LinusRG

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I keep a soft cloth in the middle of my 3DS when it is closed.

But I think a screen protector is absolutely essential. It is way too easy for an errant piece of grit to get stuck under the stylus and mark up your screen forever. It is relatively easy and inexpensive to replace the digitizer on a 3DS (i.e. the top surface of the screen), but it's better not to have to do it at all.

For the top screen, you want to go with tempered glass. Not sure what the best option for that is nowadays. I went with "Brotect" once, but there are surely cheaper ones that are just as effective.

LinusRG

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I keep a soft cloth in the middle of my 3DS when it is closed.

But I think a screen protector is absolutely essential. It is way too easy for an errant piece of grit to get stuck under the stylus and mark up your screen forever. It is relatively easy and inexpensive to replace the digitizer on a 3DS (i.e. the top surface of the screen), but it's better not to have to do it at all.

For the top screen, you want to go with tempered glass. Not sure what the best option for that is nowadays. I went with "Brotect" once, but there are surely cheaper ones that are just as effective.
Alright I will give one a try but not tonight as I am tired.

TVL

#|
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Screens get protected from normal wear and from pets if they take a liking to gaming. I got them on my 3ds's and cell phones. Id say yes, they are worth it to have.

I have a screen protector on the touchscreen of my 3DS I imagine it would get small scratches from the pen otherwise... a cell phone screen I've never scratched since they became scratch resistant and don't use any protectors. I know sand can scratch it, but I've solved that by not carrying sand in the pocket I keep my phone in.

LinusRG

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This is true, let the steam settle a bit then go at it.

btw, hiiii yuyuyup glad to see you are still around buddy :)
I Can't do that method though. My dad does not like steam in our shower room as it makes the room moldy over time. It is a good idea though.

realtimesave

///AMG
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I Can't do that method though. My dad does not like steam in our shower room as it makes the room moldy over time. It is a good idea though.

Well last time I installed a hori, I was lazy and didn't use that method. I only got one bubble that I couldn't get out, and I managed to get a fingernail under there and flick the dirt particle out a few weeks ago. It looks as good as my first switch hori which I forgot if I installed it in the bathroom or not, probably not though.

So in that case, I recommend making sure you take a real good look at the screen after you clean it making sure there's no dust particle on it and then install the screen protector according to its included instructions and you should be fine. If it is really dirty you might need some windex, don't use generic windex use the real thing.

LinusRG

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well last time I installed a hori, I was lazy and didn't use that method. I only got one bubble that I couldn't get out, and I managed to get a fingernail under there and flick the dirt particle out a few weeks ago. It looks as good as my first switch hori which I forgot if I installed it in the bathroom or not, probably not though.

So in that case, I recommend making sure you take a real good look at the screen after you clean it making sure there's no dust particle on it and then install the screen protector according to its included instructions and you should be fine. If it is really dirty you might need some windex, don't use generic windex use the real thing.
I am very specific about dust but unfortunately as soon as I am about to install the protector a bunch of new dust gets on the screen.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: Switching my home routing/firewall solution from pfsense to OPNsense. Boy how I hate networking...