Hacking Help installing Bootmii

Izzy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hello (again).

My Wii is from 2007 and as I've heard, if your Wii is older than november 2008 you can install Bootmii as Boot2 and not just as an IOS.

I'm able to start the installer and I'm about to run it, but should I use a different SD Card when I'm installing Bootmii?
Or am I supposed to use a different SD Card when taking my backup of the Nand? I'm a little bit confused and I don't know atm.

My guess is that I'm installing BootMii on my "standard" SD Card with Apps, Wads and stuff, and when I'm taking a backup of the Nand, I'm supposed to insert the other SD Card.

Or?
unsure.gif

belalbaz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
installing BootMii on your standard SD Card should be fine but be sure to have enough space on your sd card when you backup your nand

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yea one card is fine but just make sure you have at least 540ish MB left on said card. If you want the space back afterwards you can copy the nand.bin file that will be written to the root of the card to your pc and remove it from your sd card.

If your standard use card is not at least a 1 GB card, THEN you will need to use a different sd card that IS for the backup. In this case you can just copy the bootmii folder that will be written to your standard card when you install it, to the bigger card as well and then boot up again with that SD card and do the backup and stuff, then go back to using your standard one.

Izzy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Okay, well I've got 2 SD Cards, 2GB Each, so I'll first install BootMii on my regular card, And do the Nand Backup to that Card (I've got over 1 GB Free Space so that should be fine as you wrote it takes about 540 MB), and when all's done I'll just move the nand.bin file to the other SD Card and I'll be fine?
Or should I move the BootMii folder, or copy it as well?

oxMUDxo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To get BootMii to start up you need the BootMii folder on the root of the SD Card.
So if you want to use BootMii on a different SD Card put the BootMii folder on it.

The NAND takes up around 540-550mb so have that much free room on the SD Card before making the NAND backup.
BootMii doesn't work well with all SD Cards so if you get alot of errors "not bad blocks, bad blocks are normal" when BootMii is verifying the Nand try the other SD Card to make your NAND back up.

Izzy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Okay it's done now, though I got "Bad Block".

"Factory bad block marker at block 604"

"Factory bad block marker at block 2550"

Is that really bad or something?

Otherwise it said "Backup Complete", so I guess everything's fine?

Izzy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Oh great, so this means I'm atleast more secure than before if I brick my Wii.
I've heard that it's not 100 % Brick Broof (I guess nothing is), but close to?

Thanks alot for all the help, once again.
bow.gif

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Like oxMUDxo said, its 99.9% brick-proof (even from uninstalled system menus). The 0.1% could be if someone uninstalls bootmii and bricks the wii...

Otherwise, store the backup somewhere and have fun! If you brick your wii somewhere along the way, just restore...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Normal sandwich bread is actually pretty good for sausage depends on length of course