• Start date
  • Views 4,081
  • Replies 44
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted User

OP
sorry it was late yesterday , ofc i want to compile linux for my switch but i want to use my mac

bi388

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sorry it was late yesterday , ofc i want to compile linux for my switch but i want to use my mac
It seems the easiest, or only, way to do this right now might be to run linux from your mac. I can walk you through most of it if you need, or you can wait for someone else to present/create a way to do it on osx.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Here's a secret: About 75-80% of all development that tells you to do on Linux, you can do on Mac OSX.

I use a linux PC at home, but I usually have to use a Mac at work. The UI aside, Mac OSX is a nice Unix distro. Brew is a lifesaver though. I couldn't live without it :P
OS X is not Unix. I believe it's BSD?
Dude, he just wants Linux on his Nintendo Switch, not the operating system on his mac
That guide isn't for installing Linux on a Mac.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,
D

Deleted User

OP
It seems the easiest, or only, way to do this right now might be to run linux from your mac. I can walk you through most of it if you need, or you can wait for someone else to present/create a way to do it on osx.

now i did everything i am almost ready but need to put my sdcard to ex4 and fat32 idk how to do on mac

aerios169

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Do the same thing, launch/install linux. Seriously there's a billion guides and if you need help, I do know how to do it on windows
ohh i didnt know, every tutorial is for linux and mac os also i am not so related with programing.

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
The easiest thing would be to do it from Linux though, OSX requires more work and I dont even think all the tools are available on it.
Why wouldn't they be? The GNU toolchain is available on macOS. In fact, when compiling things, there's hardly no difference between Linux and macOS.
No. macOS is the only UNIX certified OS today. It uses a lot of code from FreeBSD, but it's pure UNIX. Ironically, XNU is a recursive acronym for "XNU is not UNIX", which is kind of a running joke.

Last edited by Joom,

itsdvw

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No. macOS is the only UNIX certified OS today. It uses a lot of code from FreeBSD, but it's pure UNIX. Ironically, XNU is a recursive acronym for "XNU is not UNIX", which is kind of a running joke.
The problem is that "Unix" can mean two things. It can mean an OS that is ultimately derived from Unix, and it can mean certified compliant with the UNIX standard. Neither meaning implies or requires the other. MacOS is both of those. In fact I think it may be the only operating system derived from BSD Unix that is UNIX-certified.
Weirdly enough, there is a distribution of Linux developed by a Chinese company that is certified UNIX. AFAIK it is the only UNIX-certified OS that isn't actually derived from Unix at all.

In any case, macOS is close enough to Linux that most code written for Linux can be compiled on macOS with little modification. Just install Homebrew and use that to install any dependencies you need.

Zhongtiao1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Well, the only Unix distribution is Unix since it was proprietary. :P BSD is a Unix-like operating system, just like Linux. When I use "Unix distro" I mean Unix-like since regular Unix has been off the market for at least 20 years now.

Leonidas87

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Canada
I and others are working on a solution to launch Switch Linux from OSX, so hang tight.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

That works for Fusee on OSX but not the Switch Linux script at the moment. We're working on it. That was my mistake in the tutorial. Things are moving very quickly in this scene.

Send me a pm when that thread is opened and up and running. As he stated some patience and then we will have a detailed tutorial type of thing.

Looter

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
The problem is, you cant do a simple os install ( and dont want to do it on vm ), but you want to hack your switch so it can run linux.

Its like you want to build a rocket, but cant even use a screw driver...

Reactions: Quantumcat
D

Deleted User

OP
The problem is, you cant do a simple os install ( and dont want to do it on vm ), but you want to hack your switch so it can run linux.

Its like you want to build a rocket, but cant even use a screw driver...

Posting another non sense i got a ubuntu vm which is useless

Centergaming

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Posting another non sense i got a ubuntu vm which is useless

Currently you need a Windows pc with USB 3.0 and a VMware, that's how I boot up into linux on my switch. I tried everything on mac and just cannot get it to work. @gbazone is creating something for the mac so you could easily bootup linux on your switch from there. (USB 2.0 seems to be buggy)

Last edited by Centergaming,
Reactions: Deleted User
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Welp