• Start date
  • Views 4,037
  • Replies 44
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted User

OP
if you own a mac and want to help get linux running on the switch please post some hints and helps for me and other mac users

bi388

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Um you load linux onto a bootable usb or disc, launch it from your bios and install it... im pretty sure macs dont lock you out from being able to install other OS onto the system, so just do it the same way you would on a normal pc.

D

Deleted-442439

OP
if you own a mac and want to help get linux running on the switch please post some hints and helps for me and other mac users

I know nothing about OSX, so i guess the easiest thing would be to run Linux from a live USB for the end user?

D

Deleted User

OP
oh crap um dont know that, so you already have osx running on your switch?

no listen i dont own a windows pc i own a macbook pro and i want to compile linux for the switch using my macbook without installing VMs

bi388

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
no listen i dont own a windows pc i own a macbook pro and i want to compile linux for the switch using my macbook without installing VMs
install windows (or linux?) onto your mac and compile it from there? doesnt take very long and is super easy

D

Deleted-442439

OP

The easiest thing would be to do it from Linux though, OSX requires more work and I dont even think all the tools are available on it.

D

Deleted User

OP
install windows (or linux?) onto your mac and compile it from there? doesnt take very long and is super easy

the issue is if i do install VM it will be a pain in the ass because i have to patch it first so i can use it with usb 2.0

D

Deleted-442439

OP
the issue is if i do install VM it will be a pain in the ass because i have to patch it first so i can use it with usb 2.0

You don't need to run it on VM if you run it from a USB it will work as if you installed it on a HDD.

kombos

Trophies
XP
Country
Ukraine

Remove OSX and install Linux. Then you will be more pro than you are now. You will use you macbook to compile linux and at the same time you will not have to use VM.

Centergaming

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

gbazone

Trophies
XP
Country
I and others are working on a solution to launch Switch Linux from OSX, so hang tight.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I'm surprised you haven't just seen this thread that was created 2 days ago. Just do it this way, don't need Linux, can just use terminal in macOS

https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-for-osx-users.501950/

That works for Fusee on OSX but not the Switch Linux script at the moment. We're working on it. That was my mistake in the tutorial. Things are moving very quickly in this scene.

Last edited by gbazone,
Reactions: Leonidas87

Zhongtiao1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's a secret: About 75-80% of all development that tells you to do on Linux, you can do on Mac OSX.

I use a linux PC at home, but I usually have to use a Mac at work. The UI aside, Mac OSX is a nice Unix distro. Brew is a lifesaver though. I couldn't live without it :P

bi388

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
seriously it takes almost no effort to launch linux from a usb, you just need an 8gb usb stick and ~10 minutes for the iso to download. theres probably a billion guides on how to launch linux from osx once you have the bootable usb stick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Don't walk towards the light!