ROM Hack Help - Extracting content from .dat files of the ROMFS and repacking them

SWRosetta

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi guys , i am having some issues with Rom Hacking.

Recently i got into the files of Mario Sports Supestars (CIA) and got the ROMFS folder.

The game is enterily compressed and 99% of the files are compresed in various .dat files.

My question is , does anybody know how to open these files to extract the contents?

I was looking forward to possibly mod this game , specifically the voices and music.

Here are some screenshots of the ROMFS

LexTQL9.png
lmAHmSt.png
Xzb65Ij.png

I mainly am looking for the sounds of this game , which i am guessing are inside the na folder.

Please if anybody knows how to start solving this i would appreciate it so much , i have done some research but i'm not having any luck solving this on my own.

SWRosetta

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Anybody? I see all my topics have been ignored through the years , but i would think at least 1 person could help me out.

SWRosetta

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for replying.

I posted the images though. the romfs_ext is the main folder.
LexTQL9.png

this is the na folder
lmAHmSt.png

this is the ma folder
Xzb65Ij.png

this is the ca folder
jGJXgGR.png

And this is the .crr folder
ZYiDA0U.png

i'm guessing the sounds are inside the na folder , because of the size.

SWRosetta

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok so the hex editor says this with the files inside the na folder.
Y6DULD3.png
VD72ARG.png
eK6d2oO.png

I only get that the fs2 is somehow a SARC file and the fs1 has BGM apparently , the other one is confusing.

SWRosetta

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I wasnt succesful. The SARC as well as others are compressed inside the DAT file , and the fs2.dat doesnt seem to be opened with SARC tools.

onepiecefreak

Kuriimu 2 Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Ok, fs1.dat is definitly the music. I don't know how to extract it yet, but at least we know that for sure. I will come back to that file later, but since I have no knowledge of music I would only be able to extract the files but not to create a player or something like that to hear the sounds.

fs2.dat... Yh, SARC, huh... the header would let you suggest that. But beside that it's in no case a simple archive. Also I don't the compression method if there was one in use. That will be interesting.

fs0.dat, absolutely no idea. If that are the voices I would say the beginning is some sort of index, following the file data (so the voices maybe).
But as stated for fs1.dat, I'm not able to write a player or something. Only extraction and repacking then.

What I find curious is, that this is a mario game from Nintendo but doesn't seem to rely on much standard formats.

Reactions: SWRosetta

onepiecefreak

Kuriimu 2 Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
fs2.dat is indeed a SARC archive. It's very small and seems to be a modified version. But fs2.dat only contains of 3 CRO0 files. CRO0 are some sort of DLLs for the 3DS:
https://www.3dbrew.org/wiki/CRO0

fs1.dat is a NUS3 archive. I found out it's the audio format of Smash Bros. 4 for example. And also found an editor for them:
https://github.com/DanSyor/NUS3BANK-Editor

fs0.dat is a complete riddle to me. Sry. Until I found one that helps me understand it I can't do something about it.

Last edited by onepiecefreak,
Reactions: SWRosetta

SWRosetta

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks!

I found out about fs1.dat a while ago.

It contains the Menu music of the game and the music samples in the collection room sound test.

The music used in the actual game + the voices are in fs0.dat , that's why the file is so big.

Ironically that's the one file i need and the only one i can't open out of these (i don't think fs2.dat has something important to me)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: you can fap to your favorite character without it being gay