Help double-check my computer build please.

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by DeMoN, Jan 13, 2011.

Jan 13, 2011
  1. DeMoN
    OP

Member DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

United States
    Just got a job, this will be the result of two weeks worth of work. Subtotal is around $1550, but tax and shipping make it over $1700.

Basically, I just want anyone to double-check if I'm missing anything important (I already have a mouse and keyboard), or if any of my items are incompatible with one another. I'm new to this whole build-your-own computer thing, but I recently got a job and this is what I'm buying with my first paycheck. Also, I need to know what cables to buy, if needed. I have one HDMI male/male cable and that's pretty much it. I'm mostly concerned about what I need to connect the SSD to my motherboard, because the SSD doesn't seem to come with anything.

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWi...Number=19101567

Also, I really want to order this tonight, so hopefully it will arrive before the weekend.

Edit: updated. Check my Gamefaqs topic for more info. http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/916373-pc/57791481

2. Ritsuki

Member Ritsuki ORAORAORAORA

Switzerland
    Everything looks right for me.

If you're interested, you can check for a different build here : http://www.hardware-revolution.com/mainstream-gaming-pc/

Someone already posted this link in another topic, but I can't remember who and where.

EDIT : Just checked your GameFAQs topic, and I suggest you to read a few articles on Hardware-Revolution website in order to help you :

About HDDs : http://www.hardware-revolution.com/best-ha...-december-2010/
    By the way, you connect the SSD drive with a SATA cable, the same one you use for a classic HDD

For the CPU, RAM and GPU choice, check the first one.

EDIT2 : And if you're planning to do some overclocking, you should take another case with better cooling options and a CPU fan.

3. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    I'd recommend a better case. Take a look at the PC buying guide. The Centurion 5 II (the one you listed is an earlier model) is only recommended for the lower scale of PCs, whilst the upper scale cases provide much more effective cooling.

Personally I've got an Antec 1200 and it's awesome, but it's big. Whilst that's great for the biggest of graphics cards (like the dual-GPU variety), and provides a powerful cooling solution, it also takes up a lot of space. I keep it under my desk, where there's plenty of space, but not everybody has that much room.

Word of advice: double check that the GTX 570 can fit inside your case, or you'll end up a very unhappy customer.

EDIT: The rest looks great ;p

4. jumpman17

Former Staff jumpman17 He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!

United States
    Why are you getting a SandyBridge CPU if you're going to get a graphics card. The high end graphics card is going to be better then the SandyBridge though. Can you get a non SandyBridge CPU for less?

5. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    I assume you're referring to the fact that Sandy Bridge has integrated graphics?

From what I understand, Sandy Bridge graphics only works on a H67 motherboard. Sandy Bridge overclocking (denoted by the K at the end of the model number in Core i7-2600K) only works on a P67 motherboard. From overclocking a 2500K or a 2600K, you can get superior performance in most areas to an overclocked Core i7-980X (you know, that big $900 hexacore CPU that can run 12 threads). Source.

Using this high performance overclocked CPU and a high performance GPU (with the integrated graphics disabled) gives you a very high performance PC.

EDIT (in response to wohoo's post below): nVidia's GeForce GTX 570 is rated the second most powerful GPU in the market. Naturally, the GTX 580 is top, but cost a lot more.

6. wohoo

Member wohoo GBAtemp Fan

Sweden
    Last time I checked the GF 570 was a high end graphics card, but maybe it wasn't added to the list when you had a look.

Anyway I think you'll be satisfied with what've you got there

7. DeMoN
    OP

Member DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

United States
    Dammit! I ordered Wednesday night and it didn't come yet so I'm assuming it'll come on Monday.
    Now I need to know some good, updated computer building guides out there.

I didn't buy SandyBridge for the integrated graphics chip (which is crap). I bought it because it's the best on the market right now and I want to be as future-proof as possible. I know it's a losing battle but whatever. Plus, I'm sure that SandyBridge is much better than the -dale chips in many other aspects as well.

Oh yeah. Apparently the GTX 480 is better than the 570. At least it was more expensive when I checked. I decided the 570 was the best bang-for-buck so that's why I got it.

8. juggernaut911

Member juggernaut911 GBAtemp Slut!

United States
    That build looks pretty dang good to me. Good luck with the assembly.

Also, do you have any thermal paste?

Off topic: If I may ask, what do you do (job)?