Hacking HELP! Bad Wiikey installation..

Arm73

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hi guys,
I'm ashamed to say so, but after a couple of days my modded Wii refused to play backups anymore.
I thought I did a pretty good by installing my Wiikey via quicksolder, but apparently I was wrong.
The chip refused to work after 3 days, and following people's advise here on gbatemp I reopened the Wii and checked the contacts.
Everything seemed fine, there was only one point that wasn't quite as elegant as the others and I fixed it with the soldering iron, but my wii still refused to read backups.
It was working with originals still fine.
So I decided to remove the wiikey entirely, and perform a wire installation.......By doing that , I lifted 2 pads and now I'm unable to put the chip in there anymore.
My wii still works fine, but there's no way I can fit a chip in there anymore.
So naturally I thought on contacting this guy on Craigslist asking if he could fix my Wii, and he said it's fine as long as the drive spins he'll be able to fix it, and then he asked me how many pads did I lift, and when I told him two he said he was gonna be $130 to fix it, and I will provide the chip.
What do you guys think ? Is it worth it, to fix my wii, or should I sell it to somebody who doesn't plan on modding it and get a new one and try the installation myself one more time ?
Are there any other alternative to this guy on craigslist ? I think it's the best option because I can just take my wii to him tomorrow and get it done, while for other solutions I'll have to mail my wii to somebody else.
PLEASE I need to decide very fast, I would really appreciate any suggestion, expecially if $130 USD seem to be a little too much for such a job.
Thanks in advance.

kmihalj

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Croatia
130 $ .... it's ripp-off

...search on forums for altenative soilder locations ..... and try wire instalation again on alternative points ....

...you can find someone with good soildering skill if you wish....

If you were in my country I would do it for pizza and beer....

grog.gif

Wanque

Trophies
Website
www.worldofwows.com
XP
Country
For $130, you could probably buy tickets to kmihalj's country and deliver those pizzas and beers in person.

You could just ebay the Wii and get a new one with whatever you get. Call it 'Chip-Proof' or something.

Kyuzumaki

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sounds like alot to me, just trace back from where the pad was and connect it onto the track. U'll probably have to scrape off a bit of the protective film

EDIT: Just looked at the wiring diagram u'll have to be really really careful if your doing that use a very fine soldering iron and some very thin copper wire

Avenger

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Try contacting Modchipman.com for a more reasonable price. Too bad you aren't in Canada, that is pretty steep
frown.gif

shtonkalot

Can't hold on much longer, But I'll never let go!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If I was to fix it at my local Australian rates it would cost you $40 US. $130 seems very expensive, it should really be the same price as an install. It's the same work as an install.
As others have said try elsewhere.

train2335

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
$130 wow.. what a rip off. If you don't want to try and fix it yourself, I can do it for you. I've soldered numerous WiiKeys with no problem. I'll be able to fix it and ship it back to you within the same week. I sent you a PM!

Arm73

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hi guys,
Thanks for the kind words, I am really at loss here, I thought I did such a good job with the installation, that at this point I think it might as well been a faulty Wiikey clone that I had in there.
Anyway I'll take the guy offer, maybe after opening my Wii and seeing that I didn't ruin it too much, he'll charge me a little less.
Besides, the guy says he is a professional Wii modder and has lots of chips in stock at all times, so just in case mine is really bad I can have him replace it with a good one and come back home with a modded wii within a couple of hours.
I really don't feel confident in shipping it anywhere, and certainly I don't feel like opening it yet again and cause even more damage.
After having a modded Wii for a few days, I can't really go back with a regular one !
I'll try to negotiate the price today anyway, and I will let you know how did it go.
Thanks everybody!

Cheers

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: These cotton candy grapes be pretty addictive