pantera1989

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malta
Hi,

I had set up an EMUNAND using Gateway 3DS v3.2.1. I took a backup of the NAND before starting. When EMUNAND was set up and I was in it (I am sure of this because GW3D was before the firmware version which is 4.5.0-10E) I tried to update. The progress bar reached about 90% I guess and then the 3DS reported that there was a problem and to power off. I powered it off and restarted it and it was still showing 4.5.0-10E as a firmware version but I couldn't get into the Gateway. It would say "An error has occurred. Press and hold the POWER Button to turn the system off. Please refer to the Operations Manual for details." I kept trying and reformated the 3DS and the SD card, tried v2.7 etc. Nothing would let me get into the Gateway Menu.

Eventually after researching I saw that it could be a failed update where it shows 4.5.0-10 but in reality was updated. And this was confirmed by having the MiiVerse application which is on later firmwares.

I don't know what I can do next. I was trying to find how to restore the backup NAND using the hardware method but I cannot find clear instructions. I also tried to find other ways to get into the Gateway Menu as that has a restore NAND option but so far no luck.

And ideas please?

pantera1989

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malta
I was trying to avoid that and hoping I could somehow use the gateway to restore it.

Anyway, how exactly do you do the hardware mod? All I found was a pin out diagram of the 3DS XL, and a YouTube video to a permanent mod. Is there no post on what type of cable to use etc? From what I see, the internal cable if a USB should do. And to which pins on an SD card do I connect the cable? I also read that the header of a NAND backup from Gateway must be modified to work but again no clear instructions. I will not be doing this myself, but if I go to a shop they'll want to know what to do.

I appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks!

pantera1989

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malta
Thanks. I'm sorry too. Can't believe this happened. I don't know.. Must be the failed update that caused the system nand to somehow update instead of the emunand. Anyway already had tried the browser thing. Didn't work either.

Ok so hard mod it is. My research skills are pretty good but this eluded me. Cannot find a clear guide on how to hardmod a 3DS XL. If I go to a shop, what do I tell him you know? And what about the header of a backup taken by Gateway needing to be modified? Anyone can point me to the right direction please?

Thanks for replying. Really appreciate it.

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you checked system settings and then left, you were booted to sysNAND. Also, you can't kick off an update from eShop in emuNAND as it will instead update sysNAND. A Hardmod consists of soldering cable from the pins to an SD card and then writing your NAND to it. There's no clear instruction yet for the N3DS, but you should be able to follow this thread for the information needed along with one other that I seem to have lost in my watch list (for the O3DS):

http://gbatemp.net/threads/n3ds-nand-backup-possible-i-hope.381506/

There's a few members here that will install one for you if you ship your unit to them, but I don't know of any in your area that are known legit modders. You could check in the shoptemp area of the forum, but you need 100 posts to access it.

pantera1989

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malta
Hi Maximilious thanks for the reply. What I did was switch on the 3DS, went into System Settings and pressed L when going into the Nintendo Profile, then in the Gateway Menu chose Boot gateway mode. Before that I was sure to set up Emunand. Then in system settings it showed GW3D 4.5.0-10E so I should have been in the Emunand no? And I updated from system settings not from the eshop so I really don't know what I did wrong. Any way it's no use crying over spilt milk. I have a 3DS XL not a N3DS. No instructions for that?

Thanks!

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi Maximilious thanks for the reply. What I did was switch on the 3DS, went into System Settings and pressed L when going into the Nintendo Profile, then in the Gateway Menu chose Boot gateway mode. Before that I was sure to set up Emunand. Then in system settings it showed GW3D 4.5.0-10E so I should have been in the Emunand no? And I updated from system settings not from the eshop so I really don't know what I did wrong. Any way it's no use crying over spilt milk. I have a 3DS XL not a N3DS. No instructions for that?

Thanks!

There are instructions for the regular 3DS, but I don't have the thread watched, I'll try and find it for you. It has instructions pretty laid out if you feel comfortable with a soldering iron, but if you're not skilled I wouldn't recommend it as you can cause irreparable damage to your unit if done incorrectly.

hundshamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
who cares about the military and if hes good soldier. this is a video game site.
Soldering (not soldiering) is a process in which two or more metal items are joined together by melting and flowing a filler metal (solder) into the joint, the filler metal having a lower melting point than the adjoining metal. Soldering differs from welding in that soldering does not involve melting the work pieces

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

http://www.3dbrew.org/wiki/Hardware#NAND_pinout

There's the link to all mobo pinouts.

Reactions: Ralph1611

Ralph1611

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Soldering (not soldiering) is a process in which two or more metal items are joined together by melting and flowing a filler metal (solder) into the joint, the filler metal having a lower melting point than the adjoining metal. Soldering differs from welding in that soldering does not involve melting the work pieces

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

http://www.3dbrew.org/wiki/Hardware#NAND_pinout

There's the link to all mobo pinouts.

oh ok. :lol:

pantera1989

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malta
Never owned a soldering iron, heat gun, blower or anything required to solder. So not great. Never owned a gun either. So soldiering is not great either.

I watched the youtube video again and the guy did a permanent mod which is not what I want but I think I got it.

So Top-right pin out is Data 0 which goes to Leg 7 of the SD adaptor.
The middle pin out is CMD and goes to Leg 3 of the SD adaptor.
The bottom pin out is CLK which goes to Leg 5 of the SD adaptor.
Then there is a big blob on the left which is Ground and goes to Leg 6 of the SD adaptor.

Is this correct? Then I can just connect the SD to my laptop and use dd to dump the backup into the device after which we unsolder the cables and everything should work correct?

What about the NAND backup having the incorrect header if taken using the Gateway?

Ericzander

GBAtemp's residential attorney
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Somalia
Honestly man... If you have never done it before I would NOT do it yourself. You should get somebody from here to do it for you.

But even that can get costly especially since I don't think anybody from your country does it.

A cheaper solution would probably be to sell your 3DS and buy one that is a properly exploitable firmware. If you are attached to your current one, then look into Sky3DS. It has a lot less features but you can still play all the roms you want on it.

pantera1989

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malta
No I wouldn't dream of my first soldering job being on such a small thing. And I don't think the equipment is cheap. No no I am going to a shop that fixes phones to do it for me. But I need to tell them what to do. I have plenty of experience with dd etc being a sysadmin. So is what I wrote before about which cable goes to which pin/leg correct?

And would using the internals of a USB cable do? And what about the header needing to be modified of a backup from gateway. Is that correct? And if so what needs to be modified?

I am considering selling it and find another one but I'd like to see if I can fix it too.

Thanks!

Ericzander

GBAtemp's residential attorney
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Somalia
I haven't done it before, so I can't tell you what to tell them. However before you do anything else be sure to get an estimate. Because obviously they will charge you for more than just labor. First go online and see what you can sell your system for, and then subtract that from what you can buy it for. If the shop isn't as cheap as that then it's not worth it... Especially since there's still a chance that they'll break it.

pantera1989

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malta
Thanks for the replies. I hope I have the pin out correct. I am trying to sell it at the moment, but if I can't will try to do a hard mod. I am not afraid that these guys will fry the NAND or anything. They repair mobile phones so I know they are comfortable working on tiny chips. We'll see.

EmceeKerser

Trophies
XP
Country
Honestly man... If you have never done it before I would NOT do it yourself. You should get somebody from here to do it for you.

But even that can get costly especially since I don't think anybody from your country does it.

A cheaper solution would probably be to sell your 3DS and buy one that is a properly exploitable firmware. If you are attached to your current one, then look into Sky3DS. It has a lot less features but you can still play all the roms you want on it.
Honestly it's not that hard. The almost exact same thing happened to me and I did the hard mod with no soldering experience. After some practice it was quite easy

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night