Hello

BinaryGears

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi everyone, I usually go by BinaryGears or just Gears. I found this place and decided it should be a good place to talk about the stuff I like to talk about. I am a computer science student and I have a few interests, reverse engineering/binary analysis being one of them; I am hoping to learn some new things and maybe help out some here in the forums as well.

Deleted member 545975

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, and good day, BinaryGears! And welcome to GBAtemp! I likewise find myself appealed by computer science topics, as well as reverse engineering and binary analysis, the later specially to learn more about algorithmic approaches of software I enjoy! As well as ripping music engines and data from, for myself to enjoy listening at via! I am feeling curious about scopes you may find yourself attracted to practice reverse engineering and, or binary analysis, in!

Cheers, BinaryGears!

BinaryGears

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, and good day, BinaryGears! And welcome to GBAtemp! I likewise find myself appealed by computer science topics, as well as reverse engineering and binary analysis, the later specially to learn more about algorithmic approaches of software I enjoy! As well as ripping music engines and data from, for myself to enjoy listening at via! I am feeling curious about scopes you may find yourself attracted to practice reverse engineering and, or binary analysis, in!

Cheers, BinaryGears!
Well, I am mostly interested in x86-64 reverse engineering as well as some retro consoles such as the Sega Genesis and SNES. My family member actually got me interested in reverse engineering and rom hacking back in about 2011, I had just received my first computer back then, my family member was pretty big in the Shining Force scene, they made the shining force 1 editor and did a lot of stuff with NES and SNES Mario stuff. I think they still do rom hacking for SNES Super Mario World and actually make a little money doing it. I like the idea of getting into hardware stuff, I mean I have built a computer, played with an Arduino and a esp8266, and studied basic circuit stuff but I just don't have the resources or time to actually get good with hardware reverse engineering sadly; I have too many different interests, such as music, 3d modeling, math, and within CS I have a few other interests that seem to occupy my time as well.

I guess my main goal is to help preserve and fix some of the games I have nostalgia for as newer PC hardware seems to not always work with old PC games, due to issues like the graphics API used to make the game and such. Besides some Sega Genesis and SNES games, there were a few PS1 games that I care for, such as Silent Hill 1. One game that I don't think gets enough attention for the SNES is Breath of Fire 2, which is probably my favorite 2d RPG to this day, maybe because it and Final Fantasy Mystic Quest were my 2 first RPGs.

But enough rambling, I would be happy to hear any information you might want to give on your techniques for ripping music engines and such.

Deleted member 545975

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
x86_64 processors are fun! I particularly enjoy targetting i386 or i8088 processor architectures on a IBM-PC-compatible system, for wider accessibility of. I feel appealed about engaging in projects regarding retro platforms and software for: Super Nintendo is one of my favorite video game consoles! Talking about Breath of Fire 2: I think that watching at an older brother of mine playing the first Breath of Fire, as a toddler, and seeing the protagonist transforming into dragons, specially one of the latest two forms of, sparkled the biggest passion of my life: Dragons! Breath of Fire for Super Nintendo platforms was the first RPG that I am conscious of playing at: I have months ago got around to complete Breath of Fire 2, and is as well one of my most loved video games! Right now I find myseld listening at a track of, named as DayBreak, while I type this message.

Music, 3D modelling, math, along other computer science topics are also scopes I am delving on the most! Ah, thank you for sharing about: I am feeling stronger synergy to put on, now acknowledging all that you have shared with me in the message of yours above this one: It feels nice for me to know that you have as, I interpret as many similar scopes in mind!

I consider that projects and ambitions of yours are wonderful, BinaryGears! I am visualizing you in my mind attaining every desire of yours, on!

For Nintendo Entertainment Systems, I look for opcodes writing at audio ports, as would STA $4000: This opcode and operand of absolute addressing, assembles to the bytes 8dh, 00h and 40h, see if it is part of one or more subrourine, and trace back, to see if there are both, initialization of sound registers, and sound tick playback algorithms on different subroutines, and otherwise, find code influencing both, as memory initialization, or music data itself: Adding a Nintendo Sound Format header to, specifying addresses of sound tick playback to execute each frame, and initialization algorithms in, do: I am finding myself particularly aided for, by the information one may fins on the web site that the next hyperlink leads at:
http://nerdy-nights.nes.science/

In, an aproach for a sound engjne is exposed; concepts of are very valuable for me on projects involving sound engines for other systems! The systems I am most feeling appealed to build a sound engine for, are Nintendo Entertainment System, Super Nintendo, IBM PC compatible systems, PlayStation, and different programmable sound generators and frequency modulator sound chips on custom boards, using MAME to test with.

BinaryGears, I am looking forward for you achieving every you purpose yourself to: You can attain everything you do!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, I have a piano keyboard but I never use it