HDD Drive Not Showing Up

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by Intimidator88, Feb 27, 2014.

1. Intimidator88
    OP

Intimidator88 GBAtemp Fan

Sep 7, 2008
    United States
    Virginia
    Hey guys i was brought a laptop today to see if i could fix it and when i booted it up the message that showed up was "Operating System Not Found". Well i decided to just go the easy route and throw in a bootable Windows 7 CD, i click install and chose 64x (i tried both 32x and 64x of windows 7) and when i went to install no drives would show up.

Any ideas to why? The CD itself will show up but that's it and i tried refreshing and browsing for it with no luck.

2. Yepi69

Yepi69 Vivid and busy gamer

Nov 29, 2010
    Portugal
    Behind you
    Did you try opening the HDD cover and see if the hard disk was stuck into place properly?

3. mocalacace

mocalacace GBAtemp Fan

Sep 28, 2008
    United States
    The laptop was likely dropped and the hard drive is busted. Can you hear it making any clicking noises or is it excessively loud when you turn it on--like its trying to read the hdd? Basically, you just need to buy a new hard drive or throw in an old 2.5" drive.

4. Intimidator88
    OP

Intimidator88 GBAtemp Fan

Sep 7, 2008
    United States
    Virginia

It makes no noises all all other then the small fan.

5. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    Find and download gParted, put it on a USB drive or CD, and check the HDD for errors.

6. trumpet-205

trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

Jan 14, 2009
    United States
    Does the drive even show up under BIOS/UEFI?

7. mocalacace

mocalacace GBAtemp Fan

Sep 28, 2008
    United States
    It is still likely the hard drive

8. xXMortalKombatXx

xXMortalKombatXx Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 14, 2012
    Brazil
    do it the old good way, open it, clean everything up and put back in, also clean the heat dissipators or other core components so your costumer will probably want to come back to you if anything else happens, if that doesn't work try a sata to USB adapter you probably have and plug to another computer, if it can't be read it's probably dead, ask the person how old the HDD is, 10% break in 1 year of heavy use, around 15 in the second and it starts growing by 11% at each starting by the third